What's new

raziel2001au

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm hoping someone with a bit of knowledge of the kit and CPS2 hardware might be able to give me a hand. A few days ago I installed a basic audio amp in my arcade cabinet, switched to using the RCA outs and everything worked really well. Today, I finally hooked up my kick harness and plugged it in, but upon booting up the CPS2, I noticed one audio channel wasn't working. Within the test menu, the volume only seems to max out half way, with a max of 19, so it's as if the CPS2 board knows something isn't right with the one channel.

I thought maybe shorting EXT5 or whatever it was called would fix it, but no luck there... I've tried the Jamma audio, and worst case I could just stick to that, but really, I don't understand what happened or where the cause could be coming from. The only thing I changed was to connect the kick harness. To be fair the grounds connected are the shared grounds that also go to the Jamma connector, but I don't think that could have blown one of the audio channels.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause is/how one could fix it?

Thanks so much!

First, shorting EX5 is only for killing encryption keys. If your game were running on a battery you would had it killed. (lol)

Secondly, the sound problem is on the A board, not B board. Open it and you will see a black heatsink at the corner nearby the RCA jacks. Near the heatsink (that's for the jamma power amplifier) there's a pair of Toshiba ICs which are for the volume control circuitry. They are powered by a Matsushita supercap which is marked CC18 on the board mask. Short it down and that will reset the volume slider balance back to center.

The Toshiba volume control chips support a lot more settings than just volume but the board only supply you with buttons to set the volume.

The Toshiba volume control chips support a lot more settings than just volume but the board only supply you with buttons to set the volume.
Yeah, those chips are pretty neat. It might be fun to wire up the LED bar support for volume display :D
-ud

I was harassing him on Twitter yesterday about USB decoders. Clearly he came straight here to see wtf was wrong with me and shut me up.

Right now I have nothing but time and vicodin. It shows.

So I can't get this out of my head right now.

Both the USB decoder and Toodles' FGWidget converter appear to be made of unobtainium right now. I have an FGWidget sitting here, and I keep putting off firing up avrdude, dumping the IC to hex, and replicating the design with OSH park to get a small run made. There are ethical and legal concerns with doing that, and Toodles is unreachable right now.

Feels bad.

If Undamned is in a place where producing the bare decoder board is too much, I wonder if getting explicit permission to print my own would be a possibility?

I am insanely grateful to these guys - I want to pay them, and I get how all of this can get overwhelming. Heck, the multi-cart stuff being done here is so amazing I feel like finding gun a way to ship these guys drinks on top of paying them.

First world problems.

Back