What's new
Great job with these. Can't wait to start messing around and seeing with these DIMMS on a naomi. GD-roms are kinda bleh.

Anyone know how the control input is designed/wired for this?

Looking at a pic of the cab, aim is on a trackball. I would guess a virtua golf trackball would work for that, but regarding input for the front pool stick part, I have no idea how that works.

Looks interesting! Haven't heard of this one before.

Game looks awesome; I have the Virtua golf trackball, what else is needed to play it appropriately? Does anyone actually have the pool stick interface that went with the actual game? Is there a way to effectively play it without the stick?

Game looks awesome; I have the Virtua golf trackball, what else is needed to play it appropriately? Does anyone actually have the pool stick interface that went with the actual game? Is there a way to effectively play it without the stick?
A trackball should be enough to make it work. I know it uses additional hardware, but I guess it would work as it is. Please give it a go!

Anyone know how the control input is designed/wired for this?
I played around with this a bit. you absolutely need need the separate trackball I/O to boot the game just like Dynamic/Virtua Golf and Outtrigger. But you need more than that to actually play it.

button one is a "mode" button that also acts as the start button to change the function of the trackball. button 2 switches from a first person view to an overhead view while it's held down. then the joystick up and down tilt the first person view up and down.

HOWEVER the pool cue control is where this gets really wonky. The cue holder slides left and right, up and down, and it's position is output as an analog signal that determines the strike point on the back of the ball. Without this the disconnected analog channels detect bottom right so you'll always strike the ball way off center. I suppose you could hard wire in some resistors to force it to always strike center but then you'd be unable to do any trick or curve shots.

Finally, there is a 3rd trackball channel that is dedicated to the motion of the cue, it's like a 1 axis trackball, and it's impossible to play without as you can never strike the ball.

rght, also rotary channels 1 and 2 move cue holding point, but its not much required to play the game, channel 3 is reqlly required, without it you'll be unable to hit the ball

You could probably hack together a switch that swaps trackball channels 1 & 2 and with channel 3 & nothing allowing you to use the track ball from move mode to shoot mode. That and hooking up some pots to the analog channels would allow you to play this game with an Outtrigger or Virtua Golf panel.

You could probably hack together a switch that swaps trackball channels 1 & 2 and with channel 3 & nothing allowing you to use the track ball from move mode to shoot mode. That and hooking up some pots to the analog channels would allow you to play this game with an Outtrigger or Virtua Golf panel.
Can you please elaborate a little bit more? You mean something like @Mitsurugi-w s-JIHP?

You mean something like @Mitsurugi-w s-JIHP?
I'm not too familiar with that product but I don't think so as this would involve the trackball/rotary encoder I/O. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the s-JIHP supports that.

each rotary encoder (RE) sensor has 4 wires. 5V, Ground, pluse A and pulse B.

What I'm suggesting is that you could theoretically setup a toggle switch so that in 1 position the trackball Y axis RE pulse A and B wires go to the inputs for RE input 1 on the RE I/O board, and the trackball X axis RE pulse A and B wires go to input 2 on the RE I/O board.

then if you flip the toggle switch it will disconnect all 4 of those wires, and re-connect the Trackball Y-Axis RE pluse wires to RE input 3 on the I/O board.

this would mean in toggle position 1 the trackball would work normally, and in toggle position 2 you can use the track ball to shoot as if it were the cue. This would need to be on a switch because you'd need to flip back and forth while playing the game.

You'd need a 4PDT toggle switch and you'd be messing around with a bunch of wires but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. But you'd also still need the trackball I/O and a trackball, and it still wouldn't solve the analog positioning problem.

Great thoughts regarding the 4PDT toggle switch and that would seem to be a relatively doable solution. What is involved with the analog positioning problem again? Any plausible solutions? I would REALLY like to see this game playable with the same setup as the Virtua Golf and Outtrigger and it is an awesome game to add the to collection for net booting. If you could help setup a tutorial on how to get his game working with the Virtua Golf/Outtrigger trackball - that would be awesome. Thanks for everyone's efforts to get this game playable!

Great thoughts regarding the 4PDT toggle switch and that would seem to be a relatively doable solution. What is involved with the analog positioning problem again? Any plausible solutions? I would REALLY like to see this game playable with the same setup as the Virtua Golf and Outtrigger and it is an awesome game to add the to collection for net booting. If you could help setup a tutorial on how to get his game working with the Virtua Golf/Outtrigger trackball - that would be awesome. Thanks for everyone's efforts to get this game playable!
Maybe @MetalliC can think of a software base hack to make it work with Virtua Golf/Outtrigger trackball.

What is involved with the analog positioning problem again? Any plausible solutions?
This is what the control panel looks like:

shootout_pool_cp.jpg

That green mound in the center that you put the pool cue in... it slides up and down, left and right (hence all of the arrows) and this adjusts the striking point on the back of the ball... so if you wanted to hit the ball off center toward the right, you'd slide this slightly to the right before using the pool cue.

That sliding position produces an analog signal. You can't really hook up an analog stick because an analog stick has a spring that returns it to center so you'd have to hold the stick still while you use the cue (or the trackball, assuming you're using the 4PDT switch setup I described above).

If you don't connect anything to the analog inputs it assumes you have the mound pushed all the way right and all the way down, so you'd always be hitting the ball off center from the lower right.

The simplest solution to this would be to hook up 2 pots to the analog inputs, that way you could just turn the pots to adjust the position, unlike an analog stick they will stay in the position you set them at, which is what you want.

So I guess if you had a Virtua Golf panel you could drill 3 little holes and mount the toggle switch and two trim pots with knobs and dual purpose that panel with this game.... as long as you left the switch in position 1 it would work with Virtua Golf without any problem since it would just ignore the analog inputs. I say Virtua Golf and not Outtrigger because if you drilled holes in an Outtrigger panel I would be so upset I'd never speak to you again and I'd spend my free time signing you up for spam, junk mail and telemarketing such that you would ever have enough free time to hack up another rare control panel again.

Hi

I'm looking to convert my Shootout Pool Prize cashcube cab to play the full version, so this looks like just what I'm after - thank you Darksoft! :) I'm currently in the process of getting a net DIMM board so can't try this out for myself, yet. Could someone please confirm this is the full version, and not the SWP 'Prize' edition? The 'Prize' edition (which I have on cart) is a severely cut-down version for 1 player only, only 2 venues, no computer opponents, etc., and you just have to just pot all the balls in a time limit for each shot. Pretty boring.

Thanks

@big10p
this is regular game version, not SWP. however I'm not 100% sure game protection is fully cracked here. will be nice if someone can test it with real pool controller, hit balls etc and let me know if it works ok.

as I understood you own several S.P. Prize carts, is they same as already dumped in MAME ?

Thanks for the info, MetalliC. Good to hear it's the full version. I'll be happy to test it out once I get a net DIMM. However, the SWP version only uses 1 button (for start/top view), so I'll need to hook up some extra button to my cab, to test fully. The controls on these cabs are pretty neat, and give a good sense of actually playing pool. The 'hub' control is actually just an analogue joystick, with a spinner for the cue.

I only own 1 cart, which I think is the version in MAME. I don't currently have the ROMs/CHDs required to run these in MAME. I'll try and sort that to confirm it's the same version I have.

Cheers

Back