What's new

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
What's up everyone the name is Joey. I'm 29 years old, and have been into the hobby for about two years now. Prior to getting my first MVS, I mostly played the crap out of my Saturn. Prior to getting another Saturn five years ago, I was on a ten year hiatus from gaming all together due to focus on music (my dad has designed a lot of gear in the audiophile world, I was bound to get into it as well). I grew up in the 90s and remember the arcades quite fondly. I specifically remember playing Super Street Fighter II against a guy in his early 20s...I was about 8 years old. I must have pumped in about $20 trying to beat him. He didn't seem to mind using me as a punching bag lol. I also remember Neo Geo machines being in just about every single grocery store in town. If I behaved during the store visit I usually was able to play after check out.

I got back into gaming after my ship (Navy) had pulled into Japan in 2011. The guy I went out with was a huge manga fan so we of course went to Akihibara. It was there I rediscovered how much I missed fighting games and shmups. I dove into one of the stores and picked up a Saturn with about $200 in games. From there the bug bit me and in two years time I owned just about every major retro console there was. On my next trip to Japan, I had decided that I was much more into the old arcade stuff than I was the console stuff. I sold off everything except the Megadrive and Saturn, and ordered myself a MK30 ADCAP Supergun from Jasen's Customs. I gutted my Saturn HSS-0130 dual stick and placed in PS360+ cards, Sanwa JLF sticks, Sanwa buttons, and Jasen's Customs DB15 adapters. As for boards I now own a single slot MVS, NAOMI 2, CPS1, CPS2, and CPS3. Everything runs through the MK31 into a X-RGB mini then to my Sony Bravia. Pictures to come soon.

Shout out to Mitsurugi who swapped out the battery on my CPS3 Jojo cart before I left for deployment. My roommate Yusuke has been playing the living crap out of it, so thanks again man : )

Last edited:
Welcome and always happy to take care of the people who serve our country.

Welcome! Went to install software in Yokosuka's navy hospital in 2008 ... and going back to japan "as a tourist" in april !! LOVE IT !!

April is probably the absolute best month to go weather wise. I'll be going in July myself to take a Japanese language test that I need prior to starting my post-Navy degree plan.

going back to japan "as a tourist" in april !! LOVE IT !!
Going in April myself with the family for a week. I was originally planning to go towards the end of the year, but many people suggested to visit mid to end of April instead.

PcHNDBz.gif

going back to japan "as a tourist" in april !! LOVE IT !!
Going in April myself with the family for a week. I was originally planning to go towards the end of the year, but many people suggested to visit mid to end of April instead.
with the family too ! april 5th to 21st! first 5 or 6 days in tokyo

Here's some pictures as promised. I'll post more when I'm home from deployment.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 132
Welcome man,

I used to live in La Mesa myself, and worked in CV. My last strip to japan was also when I got bit by the arcade bug (I saw Last Blade 2 running on a Blast City) and I dove head first into the scene.

I've also been studying japanese language for a while, so I wanted to wish you best of luck on the test man.

がんばってね。

That sounds terrific. People who live in Japan often are not too happy when they hear others saying that Japan is an expensive tourist destination. How is the communication over there? Is English sufficient to get around?

You will be able to get by in the major cities with English, but barely. Be prepared for a HUGE language barrier and culture shock. Expect to do a lot of pointing at menu items and such. Also, be prepared to be downright refused service by some cabs and establishments depending on what area you find yourself in. If you stick to all the major tourist spots though you'll be able to get around with English as a lot of the signs are doubled. However, don't expect to really strike up a conversation with anybody. You may have an exception here and there, especially if you are staying at a more expensive hotel, but for the most part expect a language barrier. Yes English is a required class in most Japanese schools; however, it's really not much more involved than foreign language classes here. It's a whole lot of cramming to pass a test, then all the information gets regurgitated because it never gets used in a practical setting. I would highly recommend going with a friend for the best possible experience. You'll go mad not being able to have conversation with anyone.

Also, Akiba is not really a good place to go videogame shopping anymore. Prices now match or are higher than eBay, and the selection isn't that great. First time I went in 2012 there was a decent selection with prices either being at eBay or up to 20% below. In 2014 the selection was meager and prices were eBay or 20% higher. Super Potato was definitely meager and overpriced in 2014 compared to 2012. Sometimes stuff is cheaper, for example N64 controllers (or anything N64 really), but other than that not really. Don't expect to see any Sega stuff in the store except for Saturn. Most of the Master, Megadrive, and Dreamcast stuff is behind closed doors for eBay or Yahoo Japan sales. Same goes for a lot of arcade PCBs. In order to get your hands on this stuff you will have to speak Japanese, or set up an appointment with a favorite eBay seller of yours. For the most part, the guys at these stores get a hundred white guys a day asking for crap and they don't really feel like dealing with them if they can just sell it on eBay. My brother literally got told they didn't have something as he was pointing at it several times lol. Not really worth the communication barrier to them. Don't get me wrong, definitely hit up Akiba for the game centers to play every game imaginable, just don't expect to pick anything up you couldn't already get on eBay for the same price or lower.

Do your homework beforehand, and plan each day in set chucks of time to get the most bang for your buck.

Oh, and if you aren't unfortunate looking and own some nice clothes, go to Rappongi at night. I'll let you do your own research on that one.

Thank you for your thorough reply. Somehow, the game hunting part sounds very discouraging. On the other hand, visiting a country is cooler than just filling your bags with nostalgic memorabilia. You get to explore a country that is so advanced not only technologically but culturally. My friend told me that he got goosebumps when he entered a supermarket and was greeted by two bowing team members. Also, when he left his hotel by bus the hotel personnel would wave him good bye until he couldn't see them anymore. Still, it's interesting that with all the advancements and Japanese tourist everywhere why their English wouldn't be better. Of course, this is ignorant for me to say since Japanese people could also argue why don't you learn Japanese. And they are right, I think that most of the Japanese speak better English than I do Japanese. Always travel with an open mind to absorb everythint that is around you.

I've been around the world (literally, I've been in the Navy for ten years), and can honestly say Japan is the most advanced but ass backwards place on the planet. I am learning the language (international business degree requires fluency), so obviously I dig it, but holy crap does it have problems lol. You won't really encounter the ugly side as a tourist though. Anyway, save some money up and have fun.

Feel free to PM me about any travel related questions. I've been on sea duty my whole time in the Navy so I've been around.

Back