What's new

illinx

Beginner
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a game that uses the 3p/4p kick harness with 4 buttons per player, like one of the D&D games, on a CPS2 with the 2p, 6-button Street Fighter-style kick harness? Does the 4th button get wired up properly in that case for players 1 and 2? I saw an offhand comment on the AO wiki that button 4 goes through the JAMMA pinouts for 1p/2p but I just wanted to confirm from someone now that the Avalaunch D&D roms are out.

Not entirely certain if this is the answer you're looking for, but:

I have run both d&d games with no kick harness for p1 and p2 using my supergun and a Neo stick. 4th button goes over the Jamma edge just fine. Will be experimenting with the new Jamma to mvs connector I just acquired and seeing if it works on my stock big red... Soon. Soon as I get a day off.

For six button games, buttons 1-3 are connected via the JAMMA edge. Buttons 4-6 are connected via the Hirose DF1B connector.

For four button games, buttons 1-4 are connected via the JAMMA edge. Players 3 and 4 (joysticks and buttons 1-4, start, coin) are connected via the Hirose DF1B connector.

They are both wired to a different pinout. A standard 'kick' loom won't work on D&D etc.

The pinouts are [here]

Thanks FrancoB, that's what I was afraid of, but I haven't gotten to try D&D yet.

I'm a complete beginner, but can I just wire up the button I want to use to the JAMMA edge in parallel w the kick harness so I can have inputs for both 4 button and 6 button games working at the same time?

Yep, that's what I would do. If you link buttons 4 & 5 from the JAMMA edge to the kick harness it saves you having to swap harnesses between games. That way you'll also be covered for MVS & Atomiswave etc etc. :)

I just tried this as my cab is wired with a 6 button cps2 street fighter type kick harness, button 4 on the JAMMA connector is not attached.

All 4 buttons on D&D SoM work fine as long as the game is configured for only 2 players (which was default anyway), when you set it to 3 or 4 players it doesn't.

However D&D ToD didn't work, it looked like is was expecting button 4 on the JAMMA regardless of how many players you set it for.

So SoM has code to query a button from a 6-button kick harness but ToD doesn't?

I guess it makes sense if they'd want to keep conversions easier for operators to do.

I still want to play both though so looks like I've got some wiring to do anyway!

EDIT: does anyone have a good resource for a really beginner guide to wiring up the JAMMA edge in parallel w the kick harness like we've been discussing in this thread?

I just tried this as my cab is wired with a 6 button cps2 street fighter type kick harness, button 4 on the JAMMA connector is not attached.

All 4 buttons on D&D SoM work fine as long as the game is configured for only 2 players (which was default anyway), when you set it to 3 or 4 players it doesn't.

However D&D ToD didn't work, it looked like is was expecting button 4 on the JAMMA regardless of how many players you set it for.
Oh that's interesting to know. I've only ever tried them in 4P mode. I'll have to try that myself.

EDIT: does anyone have a good resource for a really beginner guide to wiring up the JAMMA edge in parallel w the kick harness like we've been discussing in this thread?
What cab is it for?

Correcto. I was asking because if it was a candy then you have a few more options.

If you don't want to hack your wiring to bits I would probably make a JAMMA pass through adapter (fingerboard soldered to a edge connector) and then solder wires to inputs/buttons 4, 5 and GND. I wouldalso make a Hirose DB15 pass though which would consist of the male and female connectors with short wires running between the two. The wires from the JAMMA pass though would also terminate at the male DB15 connector.

If you don't mind hacking you loom up then just splice your kick loom into your JAMMA loom.

If it's anything like my Dynamo the jamma loom they used has button 4 wire connected but it's cable tied out of the way unused. You could bring this wire out and connect it directly to the button.

the issue is that some buttons share directions between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd players. Check this out:

2015-05-05_1327.png

as you can see, the kick buttons for p1/2 are directional and normal inputs for 3/4. to get past that, you would need a 6pdt switch, like this:

HT13MUkFHdaXXagOFbXI.jpg

or this:

PBH6UEENAGX.JPG

if you go for pushbutton, make sure you read the documentation.

Back