What's new

numbski

Student
Reaction score
Finally getting around to hooking up buttons and realizing that for games that are Street Fighter, you really don't want button 1 to be LP.

Was thinking of mapping it all out and throwing a switch or two on there to automatically re-map the buttons for me, and realized there are probably more than two configurations, and I think the D&D games further muddied the waters, didn't they?

It is, and it isn't. I love what it is capable of, but I am trying to reduce complexity outside the case. Essentially, keep the JAMMA plug bare, while also consolizing it.

The JAMMA connector has nice solder-able test points just beneath it. I was hoping to fit it with a slide switch, so that when it is used as a console, nothing fancy has to happen.

Using this means the undamned USB decoders have to be external to the case. Humbug. :\

I *could* just assume two configurations - one standard JAMMA and the other fighting games. Will have to think that over. This is perfect for inside the cabinet, though.

The way the games are wired is that so the punch buttons are the main buttons and kick buttons are the added ones.

It's done that way for backwards compatibility with existing wiring for three button cabs (the maximum number of buttons standard JAMMA allows for).

I understand that. What I mean to do is adjust it so that games like "GigaWing" use LK as button 1. When consolized, it will probably be using Saturn control pads. It seems as though there are 3 main configurations:

Standard JAMMA
3 punch/3 kick
D&D

I can use a slide switch on the custom housing I am making to switch button mapping a internally, so the end user can just pick up and play.

On a Saturn pad, "x" as button 1 is non-intuitive - yet we don't want to map punches to the bottom row either. Once I know what layouts I am dealing with, I can make a little sticker on the case with the button mappings created. In my cabinet I will handle that with an LED controller.

I have Saturn controllers on my super gun. I wired it so X, Y, Z and C work as buttons 1, 2, 3 and 4 on four button games.
On six button games it works as usual.

I just have the "D" button for neogeo (Neo Geo isn't standard Jamma, it has more buttons than standard) tied together with the HK wire from kick harness.

Back