PS2 Games on an Arcade Cabinet.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PS2 Games on an Arcade Cabinet.

Many of us setup consoles in our arcade cabs in order to play some of those arcade-style titles that were never available in an arcade. I personally I have a Kraylix cab with a PC running a number of emulators including PCSX2. The newer the console the more difficult it becomes to find games that support arcade style controls.

So with that in mind I'd like to start a list of PS2 games that can be played with a standard 8-way joystick and buttons. (it might make sense to have a separate thread for each of the other consoles if we want to continue this...)

I started by checking out Racketboy as they seem to have a good list of SHMUPS and 2D fighters for each console.
      Please reply below if you know of other games that are not on this list...

SHMUPs:
      Chaos Field: New Order
      Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu
      DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
      Double Shienryu
      ESPGaluda
      Fren-zE
      Giga Wing Generations
      Gradius III and IV
      Gradius V
      Homura
      Ibara
      Mushihime-sama
      Oretachi Geesen Zoku (Series)
      Psyvariar Complete
      Psyvariar II Ultimate Final
      R-Type Final
      Radirgy PreciouS
      Raiden III
      Sengoku Ace & Sengoku Blade / Sol Divide & Dragon Blaze
      Shikigami No Shiro / Mobile Light Force 2
      Shikigami No Shiro II / Castle Shikigami 2
      Silpheed: The Lost Planet
      Space Invaders Anniversary and Space Invaders: Invasion Day
      Star Soldier
      Strikers 1945 I & II / Gunbird 1 & 2
      Thunder Force VI
      Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced
      Twinkle Star Sprites: Le Petite Princesse
      XII Stag and Shooting Love: Trizeal

Fighting Games:
      Arcana Heart
      Battle Stadium D.O.N.
      Bloody Roar 3
      Bloody Roar 4
      Capcom fighting Evolution
      Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
      Dead or Alive 2
      Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
      DragonBall Z
      Garou: Mark of the Wolves
      Guilty Gear Isuka
      Guilty Gear X
      Guilty Gear X2
      Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
      Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
      Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star)
      Last Blade 1 & 2
      Marvel vs. Capcom 2
      Melty Blood: Act Cadenza
      Mortal Kombat V: Deadly Alliance
      Mortal Kombat 6: Deception
      Mortal Kombat 7: Armageddon
      Mortal Kombat 7: Armageddon Premium Edition
      NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
      Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2
      The Rumble Fish
      Samurai Shodown Anthology
      Samurai Shodown V
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 11: Hokuto no Ken
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 16: Virtua Fighter 2
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 19: Fighting Vipers
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 24: Last Bronx: Tokyo Bangaichi
      Soul Calibur II
      Soul Calibur III
      Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
      Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
      Street Fighter EX3
      Street Fighter Zero: Fighter's Generation
      Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
      Tekken 4
      Tekken 5
      Tekken Tag Tournament
      The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
      The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match
      The King of Fighters 2000/2001
      The King of Fighters 2002/2003
      The King of Fighters 2006
      The King of Fighters XI
      Virtua Fighter 4
      Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

Run & Gun / Platformers:
      Alien Hominid
      Assault Suit Valken
      Contra: Shattered Soldier
      Heavenly Guardian
      Klonoa 2: Lunatea’s Veil
      Mega Man X Collection
      Mega Man X7
      Mega Man X8
      Metal Slug Anthology
      Metal Slug 3
      Metal Slug 4 & 5
      Neo Contra
      Ninja Commando
      Odin Sphere
      Pocky and Rocky
      The Red Star
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 5: Golden Axe
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 14: Alien Syndrome
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 25: Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 26: Dynamite Deka
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 29: Monster World Complete collection
      Viewtiful Joe
      Viewtiful Joe 2

Arcade/Classics Compilations:
      (some games may be playable without analog, others may not)
      Activision Anthology
      ADK Tamashii
      Atari Anthology
      Capcom Classics Collection 1
      Capcom Classics Collection 2
      Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 1
      Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2
      Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 3
      Namco Museum
      Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
      PopCap Hits Vol 1
      PopCap Hits Vol 2
      SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1
      Taito Legends
      Taito Legends 2
      Taito Memories Joukan
      Taito Memories Geken
      Taito Memories II Joukan
      Taito Memories II Gekan
      Tecmo Hit Parade

RPG & Strategy:
      Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
      Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
      Grim Grimoire
      La Pucelle Tactics
      Mega Man X Command Mission
      Namco X Capcom
      Phantom Brave
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 9: Gain Ground
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 18: Dragon Force

Puzzle:
      Puyo Pop Fever
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 6: PUZZLE & ACTION: Ichini no Tant-R to Bonanza Bros.
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 7: Columns
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 12: Puyo Puyo Tsū Perfect Set
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 28: Tetris Collection
      Super Bust-A-Move
      Super Bust-A-Move 2
      Tetris Worlds

Other:
      Hresvelgr
      Sega Ages 2500 Volume 15: DecAthlete Collection
      Buy My 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Follow my projects: instagram | blog
      My PCB list: VAPS
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR

The post was edited 12 times, last by twistedsymphony ().

• thanks for the list twisted. this is very useful. you always make the super awesome post. :thumbsup:

I'll have to power up my 360 to get a similar list together for xbox 360. I did a project a year ago where i loaded 360 with every arcade type game to make it a kinda like a arcade "multi-pcb".

Ps1 might be a huge list. ps3 would be nearly identical to 360 with a few exceptions. the Wii titles is a small list. but the Wii dose make a awesome platform for arcade light-gun ports.
    • MissionFailed wrote:

I'll have to power up my 360 to get a similar list together for xbox 360. I did a project a year ago where i loaded 360 with every arcade type game to make it a kinda like a arcade "multi-pcb".
      I'd love to see your 360 list... it might also make sense on that and the PS3 to identify which games are XBLA/PSN and which are disc based.

MissionFailed wrote:

Ps1 might be a huge list. ps3 would be nearly identical to 360 with a few exceptions.
      PS1 list would be huge, especially because it would cover everything prior to 1997 when the Dual shock was released and even after that point a lot of games still supported "digital" mode.

MissionFailed wrote:

the Wii titles is a small list. but the Wii dose make a awesome platform for arcade light-gun ports.
      I was thinking the Wii/Gamecube could probably share a list since the list is so small, the Wii is backward compatible and on the emulation side they share the same emulator (Dolphin).

I do have a fairly complete spreadsheet somewhere with a list of all the light gun games on the different consoles. I might have to dig that up and make another thread just for that.

-----
      I know the PS2 list above is still far from complete, after I posted it I thought of about a dozen other games... Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur etc. that were missing from the Racketboy lists I used as a basis So please if anyone else know of other games let me know, I'm not super well versed in the Playstation catalog since I was always a Sega/Xbox fan
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR
    • Great list. I'll have to double check that I have all of those shooters.

I have my PS2 running OpenPS2Loader (HDLoader) and connected to a PVM-2030 via RGB. After plugging in a couple of Hori sticks, it does feel like a great little arcade machine. I have like 50 shoot 'em ups on my 360, which is also connected to the PVM via RGB. It's a cr4 XL RGH. I could post a list of those shooters if anyone wants them.
      SmokeMonster Patreon
      YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Darksoft: CPS2, STV, MVS
      Supergun: HAS
      PVMs: 2030, 1944Q, 3 x 8041Q
      PCBs: 50ish | Sticks: 50ish

The post was edited 1 time, last by SmokeMonster ().

• ya there are always going to be a few deep cut/ japan only games, or we just plain forget about.

like: Battle Stadium D.O.N - "Fighting game" like smash bros.

or some other digital input games like:

twistedsymphony wrote:

PS1 list would be huge, especially because it would cover everything prior to 1997 when the Dual shock was released and even after that point a lot of games still supported "digital" mode.
      could probably just focus on games post December 9, 1997. I collected a copy of Quake 2 just because of the historical significance of being the first console game to have duel analog support. ...at least i think it was.

Omega Boost for the ps1 would be cool to play on an arcade cab. Digital only game that cam out late in the PS life cycle.
    • does Hresvelgr, Battle Stadium DON or Ready 2 Rumble Boxing use digital controls?

Hresvelgr looks like it'd be an analog game and I know Smash Bros was designed for analog so Battle Stadium could go either way.
    • We might not even need a PS1 list...

I decided to see if I could find a list of PS1 games that REQUIRED the analog sticks and the only two games that anyone confirmed in the dozen or so places that talked about this was Ape Escape and the Dual-Shock Enhanced re-releases of the Resident Evil games. There may be others but I'd suspect it's so few and fare between that it's a safe assumption that 99% of the PS1 library can be played on digital only controls.

----------

Similarly the Saturn library 100% supports digital, even Nights, and light gun games like Virtua Cop, it was a requirement by Sega that all games could be played on the original gamepad.

EDIT: I've started a GameCube and Wii list: GameCube & Wii Games on an Arcade Cabinet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistedsymphony ().

• twistedsymphony wrote:

does Hresvelgr, Battle Stadium DON or Ready 2 Rumble Boxing use digital controls
      DON i sold a few years ago, but the D-pad and the left stick are redundant move controls to my memory. Ready 2 Rumble can be played in "digital" mode. Hresvelgr can be played with a PS1 controller, And i believe the R2/l2 and X/O are redundant. its been a wile. i'll have to fire it up. I'm not sure what all Dragon ball z games or Naruto fighting games use digital controls. i think one or two of those games use analog for some adventure style gameplay shoe horned into it.

ya PS1 is a pretty safe bet. I cant think of any that used the D-pad for anything other than directional control.

Though a concern might be what Ps1 games need the right analog stick for camera controls?

i guess it worth mentioning, switching analog direction control to digital inputs is something that can be done with PCSX2. If its functional or comfortable with a standard analog game is probably another discussion.
    • Last month before i settled into a game of .Hack on PCXS2. I was experimenting with using an arcade stick and USB rudder peddles for playing RPGs and standard analog left / right stick games.

basically using the rudder peddles for the camera controls of the right stick. and the arcade stick for moment and menu selection. for most RPGs it works out well. If camera controls are not movement skill dependent. played some Jak and Daxter, worked well...for the first level.lol.

I did find however, that low sensitive analog right stick controls with rudder peddles meant a lot of moving the feet. So i used them as high sensitive throw switches. For full throw left,right,up,down of the right stick. that way i didn't have to move the feet as much. Or 2 moment speeds, light press = 50% speed, hard press = 100% speed.

I thought it would be cool to find some games that would not normally be played on a arcade cab. Use rudder peddles with a cab and use it more like a "game station" than just for strict arcade games. Really try to squeeze what games can be played on a cab.

worth looking into if your like me and find enjoyment out of playing old games with different, more complicated, esoteric control imputs.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MissionFailed ().

• MissionFailed wrote:

worth looking into if your like me and find enjoyment out of playing old games with different, more complicated, esoteric control imputs.
      in college I had a friend who was bragging about how good he was at Gran Torismo 3 so I jokingly said I could beat him with the DVD remote

I discovered that you could only push 1 button at a time (so no turning while braking, or turning while accelerating), and that there was massive .5-1 second delay between the button push and the response...

... I still beat him lol
    • " but the Wii dose make a awesome platform for arcade light-gun ports"

Do you happen to have a list for the Wii light gun ports? For whatever the reasons I am now liking light guns games which I never thought I did. I picked up a few light gun PCB untested for $10 each lethal enforcer one of them and they all work and the gun is extremely accurate.. Color me impressed.
      The Future Is Now
    • SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

Do you happen to have a list for the Wii light gun ports?
      i'll have to power on the Wii or load up a HD on my computer, give me a bit. good project for a lazy sunday. I still need to do a xbox360 list for twited as well.

You just care about "Arcade light gun ports" or some of the more console like' light gun shooters.
      like Conduit 1 and 2 are really good but not an on-rail arcade shooter.

wii shooting games would look pretty cool on your 32" BVM. I've been just use my 1080p with the wii plunged in by component 480. So even with the HDTV scaling I don't notice any lag or anything. still feels like a responsive game.
    • MissionFailed wrote:

You just care about "Arcade light gun ports" or some of the more console like' light gun shooters.
      I would think it'd make sense to come up with a complete list of console game that can be played entirely with a gun style controller. There are some games (like Starsky and Hutch) that allow you to go between using a normal controller for some parts and the switch to a light gun for others, but I think a strict gun game list would be beneficial. whether they're ports or console exclusives shouldn't matter because the list will be small. I'd be surprised if there's even more than 30 on the Wii.
    • SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

Cool thank you.. Anything good arcade or non arcade would be great:)
      I posted the list here.
      GameCube & Wii Games on an Arcade Cabinet.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just thinking about PsP Games and Ps Vita. If your running a EmU/MaMe box on your arcade, you can run the PSP EMU. I think you should be able to play the arcade fighters and arcade ports. I don't know if you can play 2 player in the PSP emulator?

I have only loaded the PSP EMU to test it out and play around with it's specs.

Can't really use PSP GO TV out, with DS3 controller. the TV out on that displays in the center 66% on the screen. you need a large tv for it to even be worth using.

DOn't know about ps vita with DS4. maybe hdmi to d-sub? or if you have a vewlix with hdmi?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MissionFailed ().

• added some games:
      Bloody Roar 4
      Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
      Guilty Gear X
      Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
      Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
      Mega Man X Command Mission
      Mega Man X7
      Mega Man X8
      Mortal Kombat 7: Armageddon Premium Edition
      Samurai Shodown Anthology
      Street Fighter EX3
      The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
      The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match
      The King of Fighters 2006

...mostly just fleshed out some franchises
    • So I was looking through the library over the weekend and remembered that games in the Tony Hawk series and similar extreme sports titles all used d-pad only. So I'll have to go through those titles and confirm which ones support what.