What's new

Mugicha

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I do realize that a Naomi multicart isn't a great option considering how we already have the netdimm, but I'm seriously about to throw my netdimm out of a speeding car onto the freeway.

I've never once gotten the DS atomiswave2naomi games to boot and I have tried several times, I did use the roms from DS' blog. I decided I would try again tonite (it's been about 3 months since I last tried em, I used the rom posted here) and it took me over an hour to finally get the voltages right, I kept getting a black screen. Finally got it to boot to error 01, I tried reseating the netdimm about 15 more times, got it to boot to the network system screen only ONCE.

I loaded up Dolphin blue, got through the whole memory checking and it seemed like it would finally boot, and then when I was sure it would work, I got error 22 X( I tried to start over and try a different game and got error 1 the next 10 times until I just gave up ||

I didn't have a chance to try a naomi rom since I only got the network screen once, but the naomi roms have generally been pretty solid for me. I also tested a couple different carts to see and of course they booted fine.

sorry for the rant, and I'm not really looking for tech support.

Long story short, Netdimm is too fickle/inconsistent and I hate it so much sometimes ;(

Ok, I do realize that a Naomi multicart isn't a great option considering how we already have the netdimm, but I'm seriously about to throw my netdimm out of a speeding car onto the freeway.

I've never once gotten the DS atomiswave2naomi games to boot and I have tried several times, I did use the roms from DS' blog. I decided I would try again tonite (it's been about 3 months since I last tried em, I used the rom posted here) and it took me over an hour to finally get the voltages right, I kept getting a black screen. Finally got it to boot to error 01, I tried reseating the netdimm about 15 more times, got it to boot to the network system screen only ONCE.

I loaded up Dolphin blue, got through the whole memory checking and it seemed like it would finally boot, and then when I was sure it would work, I got error 22 X( I tried to start over and try a different game and got error 1 the next 10 times until I just gave up ||

I didn't have a chance to try a naomi rom since I only got the network screen once, but the naomi roms have generally been pretty solid for me. I also tested a couple different carts to see and of course they booted fine.

sorry for the rant, and I'm not really looking for tech support.

Long story short, Netdimm is too fickle/inconsistent and I hate it so much sometimes ;(
:( I'm sorry moog.. I know that you have a voltage extension I made for you as well as a sun PSU and the damn voltage is STILL giving you fits? That stinks. Mine has been rock solid since I got a sun PSU in my blast.

yeah man, this netdimm has never really wanted to play nice. It never liked the CF adapter bigtime made, and is so fickle about normal netbooting half the time. I appreciate the extension you made, having the voltmeter on there has REALLY come in handy. Part of the reason this took me so long the other night, is because I haven't fiddled with it in a long time, since I mostly play the Melty Blood cart (less hassle). I've considered getting a piforce setup but since I can't get it to boot for sure 100% of the time, it might just be a waste of money for me.

Anyway my wishful thinking would be to have all the naomi games boot up as if they were a cart wihout the memory checking.

Hmm this is an odd issue indeed, I'm using a Netdimm, Sun PSU and have no issue with any game I've thrown at it, the only problem I run into is my zeropic doesn't work. X/

Yeah I'd like to see a NAOMI/Triforce/Chihiro multi-game kit too.
Those CF adapters and all that B.S. are a big pain.
We need one big MOFO 4TB HDD with all the games! :D

Last edited:
what makes the SUN PSU so special?

A separate modern and adjustable 3,3V PSU should be more stabile than an old SUN PSU.. :) (and much cheaper)

A separate modern and adjustable 3,3V PSU should be more stabile than an old SUN PSU.. :) (and much cheaper)
Nothing, other than the connectors, but I will say that I have adapted a PC PSU for use with a Naomi and it couldn't pump enough juice to the motherboard AND netdimm. And since PC PSUs don't have an adjustable voltage pot for ANY power rails, that makes it a bit of a moot point.

If you could find a powerful enough modern and adjustable PSU with a 3.3V rail for less than or equal to the cost of the SUN PSU then I think there would be a lot of people who would want to know about it.

why can't you just use a PC power supply?
I have a shitty old 300W PSU here. it puts out 3.3V at 28A, 5V at 30A and 12V at 8A.
That's enough to power at least half a dozen PCB's at the same time.
and it's regulated so you don't need to adjust it.....

If you could find a powerful enough modern and adjustable PSU with a 3.3V rail for less than or equal to the cost of the SUN PSU then I think there would be a lot of people who would want to know about it.
The thing is.. I'm in Europe and the sun psu doesn't support 230v that's why it's something out of my consideration. It was also never used in any of the thousands Naomi cabs located at our arcades, so the Sun PSU is definitely not a must have for Naomi setups :)

Personally I have a Sanwa JVS power supply that supports 230v, there's also a Meanwell PSU with adjustable 3.3v and 5V outputs, it has as well a non adjustable 12v and no -5v but it's more than sufficient.

I personally also have two separated PSUs, one regular arcade PSU for 5v and 12v and one additional Meanwell PSU with adjustable 3.3v. It appears to work also well.

A good PC PSU is also more than adequate, if you get a Tier1 350w PSU (bequiet for example) you will get rock solid voltage stability (and much better build quality than a 15 years old Sun PSU)

I think there are many options to consider.

I have a shitty old 300W PSU here. it puts out 3.3V at 28A, 5V at 30A and 12V at 8A.
?( No idea, I've never tried using one since I've managed to horde myself about a half-dozen extra Sun PSUs over the years. I've heard a lot of people saying PC PSUs work great, and others saying they have problems.

if I had to guess the self-regulating ability of some PC PSUs is either too inconsistent or some NAOMI mobos like the voltage tweaked slightly high or slightly low such that the PC PSU can't be adjusted to the NOAMI's tastes.

The thing is.. I'm in Europe and the sun psu doesn't support 230v that's why it's something out of my consideration. It was also never used in any of the thousands Naomi cabs located at our arcades, so the Sun PSU is definitely not a must have for Naomi setups :)
Personally I have a Sanwa JVS power supply that supports 230v, there's also a Meanwell PSU with adjustable 3.3v and 5V outputs, it has as well a non adjustable 12v and no -5v but it's more than sufficient.

I personally also have two separated PSUs, one regular arcade PSU for 5v and 12v and one additional Meanwell PSU with adjustable 3.3v. It appears to work also well.

A good PC PSU is also more than adequate, if you get a Tier1 350w PSU (bequiet for example) you will get rock solid voltage stability (and much better build quality than a 15 years old Sun PSU)

I think there are many options to consider.
Last time I saw one of those Sanwa PSUs they were over $300.

Meanwell makes good stuff but not cheap either. I just bought a 24V mean well for my 3D printer and it set me back $80, I honestly haven't priced out a 3.3V model though.

I've yet to spend more than $30 on a Sun PSU and haven't had any give me problems yet though so...

?( No idea, I've never tried using one since I've managed to horde myself about a half-dozen extra Sun PSUs over the years. I've heard a lot of people saying PC PSUs work great, and others saying they have problems.
if I had to guess the self-regulating ability of some PC PSUs is either too inconsistent or some NAOMI mobos like the voltage tweaked slightly high or slightly low such that the PC PSU can't be adjusted to the NOAMI's tastes.
She's a fickle mistress alright, that Naomi. I try to give her exactly what she wants, but she doesn't always show me the love.

Last time I saw one of those Sanwa PSUs they were over $300.
Meanwell makes good stuff but not cheap either. I just bought a 24V mean well for my 3D printer and it set me back $80, I honestly haven't priced out a 3.3V model though.

I've yet to spend more than $30 on a Sun PSU and haven't had any give me problems yet though so...
yes, the Sanwa belongs also to the overrated PSUs :) I got it for 100€ in Japan.. pretty new..

The Sun PSU for 30$ is a no brainer, here I see them for almost 200€ used.. this PSU and his functionality and his age it's definitely not worth 200€ is one of those overrated pieces that nobody understand why is priced that high.

The 3.3V adjustable Meanwell PSU is actually quite cheap.. it was around 25€ new shipped :)

Anyone know the best Meanwell PSU for Naomi use? I'm really sick of my Naomi working sometimes with my current supply. It's really picky.

Looking at the various models and specs available: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/648/2240.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/648/2243.pdf

for just a 3.3V supply you could use a 709-PS65-3.3 which provides 12A of 3.3V power

they also make a 709-PT6503 model that supplies 3.3V, 5V and 12V, but it only supplies 6A a piece for both 3.3V and 5V where the NAOMI PSUs outputs 12A on the 3.3V and either 10A or 12A (depending on the model) on the 5V line.

I don't know the actual power draw of a NAOMI.

Last edited:
I have a MeanWell RS-75-3.3 it has 15a on the 3.3v rail. it's more than enough (more than a sun PSU)

I think the QP150-3A would be a good all in one alternative:

http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=qp-150

It has "only" 10a on the 3.3v rail instead of the 12a of the Sun PSU but I don't think that should be an issue (must be tested thought)
QP15-3A looks nice but damn ... $160
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/QP-150-3A/?qs=V9a8iPeg90ygfz3cby3E%2bQ==

Back