What's new

MissionFailed

Professional
Reaction score
chemistry-dog.jpg

So.. I was curios as too how well this 55' Samsung un55b8000xf (good example site) would work as a monitor for a Sega Lindbergh? it's 1080p but i'm pretty sure it can display 480i and 720p natively. Correct me if i'm wrong. At least when i plug a Genesis or NES into component the display has a pop up "AV 480i" or if i set my xbox 360 to 720p the display will show a prompt "720p" before displaying the image. I think i remember one of the sale points i bought it for was it ability to play lower resolution than 1080p.

the TV has a VGA "PC" input and i think from what the manual reads it can display in (720 x 400) and (720 x 576) Below is a copy and past from the manual regarding what resolutions are supported by what inputs. I think the manual describe it as "using as a ComputerPC display"

Could i use this for the likes of House of the dead 4 or Virtua Fighter 5? or would this TV be a complete laggy, Garbaged out mess?
wFMqJTh.jpg
67xEGz8.jpg

jsUgNkL.jpg

Z9Q4hys.gif

Last edited:
it's 1080p but i'm pretty sure it can display 480i and 720p natively. Correct me if i'm wrong
You're wrong.
:P

LCDs only have ONE "native" resolution, they can only ever have one and due to the way the technology works they will only ever have one.

The native resolution is based on the physical pixels on the screen, any video signal that you send to an LCD that dose not exactly match the physical pixels will need to be scaled, up or down internally, in order to match.

that display has a native resolution of 1920x1080, that means the LCD panel it self has a grid of pixels 1920 across and 1080 tall.

if you send it a 480i signal, it will need to scale that signal to fit on it's 1920x1080 pixel grid in order to display it for you. You can think of it like a giant grid of RGB LEDs... you can't change the size or location of those LEDs, they're fixed

CRTs don't have this problem because rather than having a physically locked pixel grid they draw the image with an electron beam so you can draw the pixels in what ever size or what ever location you want... if an LCD is a grid of LEDs then a CRT is a chalk board.

as for lag. this model isn't listed on the display lag database: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

however looking at other 55" Samsung 1080P 240HZ displays everything else listed there is about 40ms (or 2.5 frames) on the "good" end of the spectrum. In general larger displays have larger lag.

If you were willing to spend money on a Leo Bodnar Lag Tester you can test it yourself: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/?main_page=product_info&products_id=212

Or if you have a Rock Band 2 guitar they have a lag tester built in, I believe they tend to measure about 12ms more lag than the Leo Bodnar due to the input lag on the console (at least on the Xbox 360, no idea on other consoles).

Back