What's new

cccpUrien

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally had some downtime so I took on upgrading my Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact cabinet to 3rd Strike using the Darksoft cart. One of my 128mb SIMMs was listed as 'NG' during a memory test, so I swapped that one out with a new SIMM and then added another so that I have sufficient memory to play 3rd strike. I then went about loading the game via the Darksoft bios. After a couple of tries, success! I had 3rd Strike running. I switched off the system so that I could re-install the cage around the CPS3 motherboard and to reseat the bios cart. When I switched the system back on, it took me back to the game loading screen. Uh oh. I tried installing the game again, but now I get "Error 15". Anyone have any ideas as far as what this could mean?

I've seen a lot of suggestions about cleaning and re-seating SIMMs. What is the preferred method for cleaning out a SIMM slot before installing a SIMM?

Thanks!

Problem with the simm in slot 5.

Got it, thanks! Should I try cleaning the slot first before trying a different SIMM? Or is it safe to assume that the SIMM is bad? Any cleaning tips?

I swapped and cleaned the SIMMs and upgraded the error to "Error 16" :thumbsup: Swapping out the SIMM at location 6 let me load the game again. Once loaded, I went into the test menu and ran a test on the SIMMs. All clear, except now SIMM 1 is NG. Uh oh. Rebooting the machine made me lose the game data just like last time. I'm going to try cleaning and reseating SIMM 1 now. Does that slot have to contain a 64mbit SIMM in order to work? Or can I pop another 128mb SIMM into slot 1?

Thanks again!

You can't swap a 64 with a 128. Different pinouts.

Ah, good to know, thank you. I tried reseating SIMM 1 and am now loading the game once more. I have a spare CPS3 motherboard that I bought on ebay for such an occasion. If reloading the game doesn't work then I'll try taking one of the SIMMs from there.

I'll keep you guys posted :D

Hmmm, I'm a bit stuck now. Both motherboards show SIMM1 as NG even after shuffling SIMMs around. Any ideas for further steps?

I had error 12 a couple threads down, turned out to be simm 2. I managed to reload 3s a few times but it never worked right for more than a few rounds. I am pretty sure the best course of action is to replace the simm altogether. While I wait for a simm I plan on attempting a repair but just haven't had the time.

Good luck with your problem and please keep us posted if you manage to find a solution.

Hmmm, I'm a bit stuck now. Both motherboards show SIMM1 as NG even after shuffling SIMMs around. Any ideas for further steps?
Are you seeing issues during game play?

I had error 12 a couple threads down, turned out to be simm 2. I managed to reload 3s a few times but it never worked right for more than a few rounds. I am pretty sure the best course of action is to replace the simm altogether. While I wait for a simm I plan on attempting a repair but just haven't had the time.

Good luck with your problem and please keep us posted if you manage to find a solution.
Thanks for the encouraging words! I'll definitely keep working at it :)

Are you seeing issues during game play?
Hi Mitsu!

I only played a few rounds, but no issues. There are no errors while loading the game, but the data becomes corrupt after powering down. The only discernible issue that I can see while the game is powered up is the "NG" message in the SIMM test menu.

OK so I've made some progress....I tried loading just the regular SF3 game. The SIMM in slot one still reads as "NG" in the test menu, but the game actually retains its data after powering off. When I boot the system it says "reading CD", then it has me select a language, and then boots as expected. What could be going on?

If you *GET NG AT ANY POINT IN TIME* in test menu, you're supposed to rewrite the game to the SIMMs.

Also, the act of choosing a different region (what you're calling change language is in fact change the region) at the boot menu *WILL* erase the NVRAM.

Back