Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Stereo Mod

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Stereo Mod

Hello fellow Members,

I have a Model 1 Sega Genesis and was wondering whether there is a mod to have stereo sound coming out directly of the RGB cable while keeping the console stock? I know there are RGB cables with an additional cable that connects directly to the head phone jack of the console. Also, the Genesis can be modded to have two rca audio jacks coming out at the back of the console. Those are good solutions to get stereo sound out of the Genesis but disrupt the aesthetics of the console. I would be happy to hear from you.
    • It has an 8 pin DIN, which is wired for mono. All the pins are used, but you could remove 5V DC from it and use that for the other channel.

Pinout is here

gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

EDIT: actually, if your cable ends in a SCART plug, your monitor might need the 5V. So depends on how and to what you have it connected to!

The post was edited 1 time, last by nem ().

• The only way to get stereo out of a Model 1 genesis without a cable running to headphone jack is to install a new stereo port in the back of the console and run wires internally from the headphone jack (or rather from the amp before it reaches the volume pot for the jack) to your new port.
      you can find information on this here: retrorgb.com/genesisaudiomod.html

Personally I hate this solution instead I have the female version of this cable: retrogamingcables.co.uk/games-…nd?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

that plugs into the back of the model 1 genesis and has a lead that goes around the front for the headphone jack. and it gives me a Genesis Model 2 style AV socket that I can then use with a Model 2 style RGB cable, or run to a 32X with an original Model 2 32X patch cable. preserving stereo with a 32X. (if you buy the male version it MUST be used with a 32X because it eliminates the patch cable and prevents you from plugging in a model 2 AV cable without the 32X to act as a female-female adapter)

of course you could also use this cable in conjunction with the above audio mod to have proper stereo output that bypasses the headphone pot with a Model 2 style AV socket for use with a 32X.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • darksofter wrote:

I just talked to a modder who explained to me that you can have the stereo sound coming out of the scart output directly. He said that he can internally wire the stereo sound from the head phone jack to the rgb port and the run the stereo through the sync pin out. What do you gentlemen think?
      I think I'd rather add a new jack to the rear of the console then re-pin the connector such that it's only compatible with 1 specific RGB cable.
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

darksofter wrote:

I just talked to a modder who explained to me that you can have the stereo sound coming out of the scart output directly. He said that he can internally wire the stereo sound from the head phone jack to the rgb port and the run the stereo through the sync pin out. What do you gentlemen think?
      I think I'd rather add a new jack to the rear of the console then re-pin the connector such that it's only compatible with 1 specific RGB cable.
      Thanks for your response. I would like to understand why one would have to make a specific rgb cable? I mean don't you have to make a specific rgb cable for each console anyway? Please clarify.
    • if you modify your console so the sync pin is now an audio pin then you must also modify your RGB cable so the sync pin is now an audio pin..

since no other RGB cable is modified that way and no other console is modified that way it means that other RGB cables wont work properly on your console without modifying them.

so lets say you bring your console to a retro gaming convention and you forget your RGB cable... now your screwed because you can't even borrow one from anyone else because they wont be compatible.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

if you modify your console so the sync pin is now an audio pin then you must also modify your RGB cable so the sync pin is now an audio pin..

since no other RGB cable is modified that way and no other console is modified that way it means that other RGB cables wont work properly on your console without modifying them.

so lets say you bring your console to a retro gaming convention and you forget your RGB cable... now your screwed because you can't even borrow one from anyone else because they wont be compatible.
      makes sense, you have to follow either the Euro Scart or JP21 pinout standards to make the port compatible, if you start reassigning cables/pins around then you can only used a custom made cable.
    • Thanks for the clarification. Is there a digital out solution for the Genesis? I want to understand what the missing link is to have stereo coming out of the rgb port? At least one can have stereo coming out of the port without modifying the outer shell, however at the cost of not being able to have regular euro scart cables working with the modified console anymore. In retrospect, this is a high cost. The line out coming out of the back of the console seems like amore favorable solution. Isn't there a solution that could solve everything?

How about working with switches? I would hide the switch inside the cardtridge slot. This switch activates or deactivates the stereo mod whenever you need it. So when you want stereo coming out of the custom made cable then you switch it on. And when you want to use stock cables without stereo, you'll turn it off. How would that work and would this be complicated to mod?
    • darksofter wrote:

I want to understand what the missing link is to have stereo coming out of the rgb port?
      model 1 genesis only has mono audio coming out of the rear AV port, there aren't any extra pins, there's no mystery, there's no missing link, it can't be done unless you're willing to start re-assigning pins. Sega decided to use the same AV cable as the master system which was mono only.... the cost of backward compatibility then is that we don't have stereo out now.

the only way to get stereo out without re-assigning pins on the AV port or cutting a hole for a new audio port on the back, is to just tap the headphone jack on the front.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • darksofter wrote:

I think I would replace the rf out with a line out. Would that work?
      The problem with those RF plugs is they're attached directly to the giant RF modulator unit inside the console, so you'd have to remove that whole thing just to use the hole in the case.

I have no love lost for the removal of RF AV equipment but it's a little more involved than just removing a 2-pin jack.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade