What's new

guano

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey gang. I installed my CPS-2 Multi today. After scouring the old thread and looking here, I have a question. Need some help. I am having bars and a tiny bit of artifacting. When the copyright/version and build screen come up, with all the text, it skips every other letter or every other line, depending on the game. The jail bars persist throughout the game but the text situation is very specific in its appearance. Thought it was worth mentioning. Is this an SD issue or a hardware issue?

I have tried more than one SD card. I have tried to reseat all the parts. I have tried to test continuity on all the pins I can reach. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 286
That looks like one of the bytes of the graphic roms is missing. I'd say it's a jumper or the PAL. I'm assuming that all pins of the multi, specially the long ones are in place and make good contact.

Thank you for your reply. I bought this game working and it died under my ownership. The wire was already in place going to a G PAL when I started setting up this dead game for this project. It is a rev. 4 board. On your suggestion, I replaced the PAL with the one that came in my kit and the image issues were not resolved. I double checked that the jumper from the PAL was in the right place and has continuity. I fluxed up and reflowed my shorted jumpers and wicked up the open ones. the image issued were not resolved. To check the jumpers, I pulled all the boards and reseated them. I still have image issues that look the same as my previous post. The pins on the boards appear to be straight and not going in cock eyed into the wrong places from my perspective. Any other observations or suggestions? Thank you!
IMG_1798.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
FullSizeRender_4.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 313
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 288
  • FullSizeRender_5.jpg
    FullSizeRender_5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 285
I get the same bars when my B-board isn't pressed down into my A-board all the way.

Not saying thats your problem, but it sure dose look familiar.

Just checking if you used a meter to verify the open jumpers are in fact open.

I did validate that the jumpers are open with a meter.

If you want you can send it to me for testing.

Thanks for the offer of trying to get it going for me. I will try it all again tomorrow... Rewriting the SD, swapping the PAL, checking continuity of my jumpers as well as the PAL jumper, reseating the boards again, then PM you about setting something up.

Thank you for your reply. I bought this game working and it died under my ownership. The wire was already in place going to a G PAL when I started setting up this dead game for this project. It is a rev. 4 board. On your suggestion, I replaced the PAL with the one that came in my kit and the image issues were not resolved. I double checked that the jumper from the PAL was in the right place and has continuity. I fluxed up and reflowed my shorted jumpers and wicked up the open ones. the image issued were not resolved. To check the jumpers, I pulled all the boards and reseated them. I still have image issues that look the same as my previous post. The pins on the boards appear to be straight and not going in cock eyed into the wrong places from my perspective. Any other observations or suggestions? Thank you!
That looks good to me. Can't see any flaws.

As Jassin said above I had a similar problem but pins were bent on my A board causing the fault ,also happens if boards are not seated together correctly .

Last edited:
Just to be informative, the CPS2 reads four graphics chips at the same time.

Imagine that a graphics data word is something like this:

0102 0304 0506 0708 (each group is 16 bits)

0102 came from socket 13
0304 came from socket 15
0506 came from socket 17
0708 came from socket 19

The sockets are enabled in 32 bit pairs:

0102/0304 from left side, 0506/0708 from right side.

Your third screenshot shows "w r i g" (warning) with graphical data which corresponds to sockets 17, 18, 19 and 20 missing. I would say you check if the PAL chip is working correctly.

Perhaps if you could put some kind suicide free romset and check if it works properly, that would prove your B-Board as working then it could be a issue with the multiboard (something like a problem with the data buffers enable signal).

Always start with a working B board. Like said above, use a suicide free rom set and check if the B board itself is still in good working order before applying the DS9000CPS2MB.

Update on this. I received the kit and had the same problem on my pcb. During a close inspection under my magnified light thingy (technical term) I discovered that U93, a tiny logic gate, appeared to be damaged. They are very low profile but fairly fragile if exposed to a physical force. So I ordered several of them and after receiving them and installing a new one on the kit pcb today; we now have a fully working kit again. This was causing the data on one of the flash chips to not be read by the b-board.

Thank you for all your help, Mitsurugi-w. I guess I should have started this thread by showing that my box was so hammered and pins had physical damage upon receiving. Nonetheless, I continue to highly endorse your products because of your passions and commitments to what you do.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 299
It's pretty dissapointing, to see all the effort put on that PCB go to hell because of badly packed box or because it was treated like shit.

I'm trying to replace the Ksiegarnia people with another company. If someone knows of any company that could take care of payments and shipping, please let me know.

I received my multi back from mitsurugi yesterday. It is in working order. Thank you for the firmware update as well! I'm very pleased with this item.

Everyone has a story... So I help organize a weekly fighting game event in my home town. We play old man games on CPS-2 & 3, that I bring. They're a nice break from the tournament grind! So one week a buddy and I went to play some Pocket Fighter. I swapped out the B board from my UD-CPS2 A Board, fired it up and when we plugged in the controllers, it went solid blue. My best guess was ESD killed the B board.

This was my first loss of a game. The $$. The collection. The struggle is real!!! That very night I learned about this very CPS-2 Multi. I was so sold on it instantly. I immediately prepared that dead Pocket Fighter for this kit. I promised myself I would never lose another B Board and immediately sold them all.

So, long story longer, we were preparing for a special event, the Pre-EVO party, in July, where fighting games were going to be the focus. Sadly all the issues with slipping deadlines and it not working meant I could not offer CPS-2 to our guests. My own fault for selling off my collection before I had this system up and running. We had almost 600 fighting game fans at our party. They loved playing 3rd Strike on my resurrected SuperBIOS CPS-3 and a buddy luckily brought Super Turbo, so we were way good.

Now that it's all behind me, I can't wait to share this at our weekly on Tuesday! Thanks again for all the amazing stuff you guys do!!!

Back