What's new
Hmm, it turns out he set it to not ship to Hawaii so I guess I can’t buy. I’ve messaged him, that’s for the links!

I'm sure if you took some donations to take on the project people would be willing to subsidize it if you're not wanting to raise prices too.

I have an SF3 new gen that I'd like to populate with all of the necessary simms. Color me interested if this ever takes off :)

does someone ever tried using 2 32mb simms to replace the 64 one? i have the third strike cart right now, but cant initiate it because there are more simms missing.
Besides, i got a third strike original cd Broken. I can just write an image in a normal cd or there`s some tricky protection? What image i have to record?

You can’t use 2x32 to to replace a 64mb, they’re wired differently and the program code doesn’t work that way

The image you need to write to a CD is in the BIOS thread, standard CD, no weird protection etc. your original Third Strike CD won’t work though

ok, so i need 2 128 and 1 64 simms... if anyone has it, pm me!

i need 2 128MB and 1 64MB simms please

someone knows if compatible PC memories exist on the market

I enter the project to send to manufacture the simns

Last edited:
someone knows if compatible PC memories exist on the market
Although the CPS3 SIMM modules "look like" some old technology PC RAM modules, they are not RAM. They are long-term storage modules based on flash technology. So, there is no "compatible" technology (PC memory or any other device) that I'm aware of exists.

Can anyone shed light on why Capcom made the decision to use flash tech and not (assumingly) much more widely available and cheaper PC RAM? It always kinda annoys me when companies make proprietary stuff like this. Isn't it more expensive?

Because RAM would've meant flashing the game every time the game is powered on (RAM is volatile memory).

The other reason? Bootlegging. PC RAM is easy as anything to buy, the other CPS3 components are all pretty common so it would've made bootleggers jobs much easier

Bootlegs are the reason for everything that makes collecting and preservation more difficult sadly.

Well though they resemble a RAM stick their purpose is different. I would compare adding more simms to adding a larger HDD to a computer (storage) rather than RAM (performance). If the CPS3 had been used more extensively and for a longer period of time then this design would have been a HUGE money saver. Rather than adding memory to carts like the Neo-Geo did the motherboard could be simply updated with more simms.

I think the system underachieved, though it has great games, but the design of the hardware was not really the problem. It's a 2D powerhouse.

Paid, and 1st I hope! Get these while you can folks, they won't be this cheap again!

Back