What's new

Failerson

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forums so be gentle.

So I've obtained a cps3 board with cart. Missing two Simms at the moment and cd rom drive. I'm looking to have the cart modded. I don't know if it's suicided and I don't have the original cd. I'm just looking to play third strike. If anyone could point me to where I can have the cart modded and where or what kind of drive I need. Like I said new to the forums and this is my first arcade build. So any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys new to the forums so be gentle.

So I've obtained a cps3 board with cart. Missing two Simms at the moment and cd rom drive. I'm looking to have the cart modded. I don't know if it's suicided and I don't have the original cd. I'm just looking to play third strike. If anyone could point me to where I can have the cart modded and where or what kind of drive I need. Like I said new to the forums and this is my first arcade build. So any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Here are step-by-step instructions:
  1. Update your profile and include your location. Somehow, it helps a ton when seeking help.
  2. Then go here and post an into thread (optional but highly recommended).
  3. PM @Mitsurugi-w for the CPS3 cart mod service. You'll be fine with the ~$55 service cost (just make sure you you download the Custom CD, not the Standard one). Mitsurugi-w will not kill a live cart. You might end up with a pre-modded cart swapped for yours. Talk to him further for details.
  4. As for SIMM's, keep your eye on this thread for availability. They'll be available soon. Make sure you know how much your board will need by checking here.
  5. Pick up any used working 50 pin SCSI CD-ROM from eBay. Or better yet, get yourself a modern alternative solution.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Can't see the Simms thread but not a big deal. Kind of a dumb question but the board is dusty and kinda dirty any tips on what to clean it with besides air?
y6Z89kN

Here is the SIMM's thread: 128Mb CPS3 SIMMS!!!!!!

Don't worry about the dust for now. Most of us wash PCB's differently. Personally, I use Simple Green. I wouldn't recommend it for a person new to the hobby because it can be an activity that makes you think, "I can't believe I am actually doing this under my sink!". Read more until you find a method that agrees with your comfort level and experience.

Thanks again. Honestly I was feeling overwhelmed with this. Thinking I've taken more on then I could handle. I thought I wasted 160$ on a board and cart, thank god I found this forum. Any recommendations to where I can find idiot proof wiring harness and and buttons?

Thanks again. Honestly I was feeling overwhelmed with this. Thinking I've taken more on then I could handle. I thought I wasted 160$ on a board and cart, thank god I found this forum. Any recommendations to where I can find idiot proof wiring harness and and buttons?
No such thing as an idiot proof wiring harness. You'll have to put in the work and understand out how it works. It is pretty easy though. I suggest getting a multimeter so you can test continuity. Get a cheap one. Sometimes Harbor Freight gives this one away for free. You can get a better one later if you decide you want to be more experienced with arcade stuff. But this will more than suffice for continuity testing.

Pics of your cab or setup please, lots of them. Need to see what is in your cab. I am wondering why you would need a harness in the first place. Your cab should have that already. As for buttons, pics of your cab/setup first.

The Real Bob Roberts has/makes the best harnesses. Ordering from him is a bit hard. Google him and you'll get details how to order from him. But there are some decent ones on eBay. Just pay a little more than the cheapest one, otherwise you'll end up with a Chinese poor quality one. Better to have a good quality Chinese harness. Whereas getting it from Bob Roberts is the best option.

Shoot. Building an arcade cab? Yikes! Sure you want to do that? You got a lonnnnnnnnng way to go then man. What kind of monitor are you going with? Old school CRT? Or modern day LED/LCD?

Trying to be as original as possible. So old school crt. My brother restores pinball machines in his spare time. He has a neo geo cab that I can test the board on. Although he isn't to savvy when it comes to arcade machines. I'd buy a cab that had a crt if I could find one in my area.

Trying to be as original as possible. So old school crt. My brother restores pinball machines in his spare time. He has a neo geo cab that I can test the board on. Although he isn't to savvy when it comes to arcade machines. I'd buy a cab that had a crt if I could find one in my area.
craiglist is the best option. You can try Klov to find someone willing to sell a cheap Dynamo cab.

I hear cabs are hard to come by on the East Coast :P. Keep with it. Brush up on your Craigslist search skills. Cast a wider net. Be willing to drive 4 hours round trip at least with someone's truck that you can borrow, if not more. Save your searches to get auto notifications. You'll get a CRT cab soon enough.

Anyway, you can test on the Neo Geo, but you won't be able to fully play of course. Looks like this is going to take some time before you get what you want. Be patient. First, get your cart modded by Mitsurugi-w. Then, get that SCSI CDROM solution or that alternative I mentioned. And don't miss out on those SIMM's. From there, you will be able to at least test the board on your bro's Neo Geo. You can work on the cab later. No point getting that harness now. You need a cab first. If you pick up a cab, likely it will have a harness in it already.

What are the advantages of running that vs cd rom? Does it write the games faster?

Doesn't write any faster. The advantage is longevity. Any SCSI CDROM drives is going to be greater than 15 years old. Optical drive technology has a notorious high failure rate. I should know, I used to work at Plextor. Even Plextor drives had a ridiculous failure rate. My buddies in the RMA dept had full time jobs repairing those drives. They were never slow with work.

Any drive you pick up will likely be used. Even if you were able to find a new one, you would be increasing the lifespan by a few months at most. You'll just never know when it will clunk out. Spend the 3x in cost and gain peace of mind.

Hard to tell without pics of both sides of the RAM. Good way to tell is to count the flash chips soldered to each SIMM. Each flash chip has 16mb's. So:

• A 128mb SIMM has 8 flash chips (8x16mb=128mb)
  • A 64mb SIMM has 4 flash chips (4x16mb=64mb)
  • A 32mb SIMM has 2 flash chips (2x16mb=32mb)

I guess I'd figure I'd give you guys an update. Just got the cart back from @mitsurugi holy crap that was fast. Just waiting on the Simms. I'm sure they will be as quick as the cart. Scsi to ad card adapter in the mail along with kick harness. Now to either build or find a cab. I got bored so I painted the case.
pl0FXkK
http://m.imgur.com/pl0FXkK

Very nice. I did the same thing but painted mine black. If you want to reproduce the labels that are on the outside of the metal cage, take a look in the forum here. I posted a thread with links to files that can be printed out on label paper and affixed to the case just like the originals were. Same font and everything.

Back