What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
Remembered i had this 19 computer monitor stored in the basement. Has vga connection and bnc. Ive never seen a monitor that looked as good as this one for image quality. Makes me think it would be good to dig out and use for arcade stuff. Signal input is RGB did a quick search for spec sheet. How would this compare to a Sony PVM?

Hard to tell, but PVMs at the time of their release were thousands of dollars so.... I'm guessing while your monitor will be better than an LCD, at best just mid to high end consumer grade, not nearly a pro or commercial line.

In general just about any solid sony trinitron computer CRT will be far better than a PVM/BVM in terms of image quality and lines per inch, BUT the real benefit of the "industrial" CRT's is their frequency range and support for granular image control...

In general just about any solid sony trinitron computer CRT will be far better than a PVM/BVM in terms of image quality and lines per inch
Computer CRTs do have much better lines per inch, but at a certain point I feel it's actually detrimental to the image when you're trying to display low-res content.

Heck for 15K stuff, I often feel like even high-quality Tri-Syncs don't do a good job displaying them properly particularly in terms of the size of the scanlines and bleeding between lines.

PC CRTs also tend to use a shadow mask as opposed to an aperture grill which I think just changes the feel of the image. This is mostly personal preference but I really don't care for the look of most PC CRTs.
CRT_pixel_array.jpg

i just dug it out of my basement and will try it out tonite. I think the trinitron tech makes it more like the left image vs the typicall shadow mask if i remember correctly.

Since it's a computer monitor It's probably RGBHV not RGBs. There's also good chance it only supports 31Khz.

Well turned it on and power light comes on but no image :(

Trnintrons are closer to LCD than anything in the pixel setup as they're non-staggered...
maska.png

(The center image as you can see:)
65970110_82fd086010_m.jpg

Trinitrons more or less are identical between PVM and computer, except in their actual dot pitch (and clearly the interface logic) was my point.. interestingly, a LOT of traditional sony trinitron monitors support RGBS and RGB(sog) as well, but it is true that support for 15/25k is limited due to the fact that computers simply don't output anything lower than VGA for the last 20 years...

Last edited:
Back