What's new
I'm not going to create a whole separate thread but I recently finished the restoration on my 2nd Egret 29... some of you know my "saga" with getting the monitor chassis repaired.

This E29 was dropped on its head while being unloaded off of a truck, this resulted in the whole header getting folded down, this bent the polished metal posts that hold up the header, it bent the metal frame of the header itself, including folding one of the speakers like a taco, and it snapped all 12 screw posts off of the lower black plastic part of the header... not to mention messing up the body of the cab as well.

Here are the pictures from the seller before I bought it:
front.jpg

[click to expand the photos, you can't see the bent header in the thumbnails]

I built myself a special tool to straighten out the metal posts, and did some other unique fixes to repair the lower black plastic piece (I might write a blog post about this at some point) but other than that most of the restoration was similar to the other cab.

Here is the cab as it sits currently:
e29.jpg

You might notice that it's got the 4-button panel, that's because I swapped panels with the 1st E29. I do still need to source some lock parts and I have a cracked marquee holder that I need to repair, but other than that it's done :)

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I had an E29 that was dropped forward down stairs and crushed the speaker pod as well. To make matters worse the owner decided to paint it pink with a brush and some latex paint.

I gave up part way through the restore. Yours came out amazing. Nice work.

Giving it a second look...you didn't buy this from Sammy bean did you?

WOW! That looks great. I really like the way plastic bezel came out. Mine is badly yellowed like yours was. I see you used vinyl dye for it. Is that a spray paint? I would love to get mine looking like that. Im still missing a lot with cab but it currently does work and getting rid of yellowing would make it look much better.

@twistedsymphony That came out awesome :thumbup: just let me know know when you want to swap :D

WOW! That looks great. I really like the way plastic bezel came out. Mine is badly yellowed like yours was. I see you used vinyl dye for it. Is that a spray paint? I would love to get mine looking like that. Im still missing a lot with cab but it currently does work and getting rid of yellowing would make it look much better.
The dye comes in spray cans, does an awesome job.

What parts are you missing? And omg do you have a spare complete control panel? Or know any leads to one/parts?

What parts are you missing? And omg do you have a spare complete control panel? Or know any leads to one/parts?
Thanks I will need to pick up a can and see how it goes.

I wish we both were not missing the same parts...lol. I am missing a complete control panel as well. Not sure what person who owned this before me was thinking but they hacked up current panel with a dremel or something so badly. It is just a blue panel with big hole cut out in it. I made something to get by for meantime but still always on look out for a panel. I would also like the top speaker/marquee but the control panel is my main concern at moment. It seems to be just about impossible to find. Been looking for over year so far.

Thanks I will need to pick up a can and see how it goes.
I wish we both were not missing the same parts...lol. I am missing a complete control panel as well. Not sure what person who owned this before me was thinking but they hacked up current panel with a dremel or something so badly. It is just a blue panel with big hole cut out in it. I made something to get by for meantime but still always on look out for a panel. I would also like the top speaker/marquee but the control panel is my main concern at moment. It seems to be just about impossible to find. Been looking for over year so far.
Damn, they were hacked up by the same person, did you get it in NY?

Im trying to see if I can get panel to have it replicated.

Im replicating the plexi/marquee holder, luckily I have the complete speaker pod/marquee holder, just need the control panel.

Thanks I will need to pick up a can and see how it goes.I wish we both were not missing the same parts...lol. I am missing a complete control panel as well. Not sure what person who owned this before me was thinking but they hacked up current panel with a dremel or something so badly. It is just a blue panel with big hole cut out in it. I made something to get by for meantime but still always on look out for a panel. I would also like the top speaker/marquee but the control panel is my main concern at moment. It seems to be just about impossible to find. Been looking for over year so far.
Damn, they were hacked up by the same person, did you get it in NY?
Im trying to see if I can get panel to have it replicated.

Im replicating the plexi/marquee holder, luckily I have the complete speaker pod/marquee holder, just need the control panel.
Not sure actually if it was hacked up from person i got it from. I just always assumed it was the case.
I did get it from someone locally on long island for a price I could not refuse.
The problem was it came completely empty. All I had was cab, speakers, bezel, doors and hacked up cp its even missing rotation mechanism which is kinda a bummer but i but a frame for horizontal monitor placement.

My metal frame that hold the control panel is still intact but plastic control panel is probably to badly hacked up to help with a reproduction but if is will let me know if I can help.
Id definitely love to get a replicated panel and/or marquee if you ever get them made.

I gave up part way through the restore.
You don't still have it do you?

you didn't buy this from Sammy bean did you?
No I bought it from Matt (BeaglePuss on KLOV) I think he bought it in this condition from another Boston local though.

I see you used vinyl dye for it. Is that a spray paint?
As @Derick2k said it's a vinyl dye in a spray can. just like spray paint you need to be careful not to over spray or you'll get runs, you also need to do lots of light coats. It is A LOT more forgiving than spray paint though and it requires no sanding prep. I also didn't use any primer. I probably went through 3 or so cans per cab and that's just for the parts around the monitor and the top half of the header. The blue on the control panel is regular Spray Paint

Which color dye did you use?
Dupli-Color EHVP10500 Gloss White Vinyl Dye: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00098PO22/ref=twister_B00BW1WSYC?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

The Blue on the control panel is Rustoleum brand spray paint I don't know the model number because I literally went to the store and bought a bunch of blues brought them home and did some test sprays to see which one was the best match.

I wish I kept mine. It was complete, just in rough shape. I sold it to Sammybean who supposedly parted it out and shipped the main portion of the cab to the UK. I always suspected that wasn't the case though. Matt Mark are friends of mine. Great guys. They have had three E29s since I've known them.

At one point a random neighbor of his had an E29 as well. Supposedly a company called "Arcade Infinity" got ahold of a ton of these cabs in the early 2000s and several of them made it to MA via a group buy.

Also, for those looking for spare parts, send an email to River Service. They had a metric fuck ton of Taito spares back in the day, it's worth an email to see if they have anything.

No I bought it from Matt (BeaglePuss on KLOV) I think he bought it in this condition from another Boston local though
I remember playing on this cab. Was over there doing a complete rewire on his E2 that had a hacked up Mahjong Panel. Think the E2 was from the Wasseum group buy. Looks great!

yeah it's weird, the more I learn about where these cabs are located it seems that there were quite a few of them in the northeast.

Damn Twist! That is a beautiful sight. Well done.

Thanks.

I was super worried that the cab that had been dropped on it's head wouldn't have the header line up with the other cab... come to find out they are a little off but only because the the one I fixed is perfect and the other one is slightly drooped from age.

Back