What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I recently bought a Taito Egret 29, It's in-transit at the moment but I've already started researching replacements for some of the broken/missing parts. Its in need of a lot of cosmetic repair but mechanically it seems to be in decent condition.

I had started talking about this over in my WTB thread ( WTB Taito Egret 29) but I figured I should start a new thread about the restoration.

here are some of the pictures the seller sent me though:
egret29_1.jpg
egret29_2.jpg
egret29_3.jpg
egret29_4.jpg

It seems complete except for the locks, cosmetically it does need a lot of work and the broken marquee is heartbreaking.

Tube looks burn free but the chassis is out of the cab which is concerning but not enough to make me walk away, it does also include a repo 2l14b panel (no art) and new Sanwa buttons for that panel so that's nice.

I'm really big on using original locks on the back doors/service doors. All of my machines have all original locks except for the cash box/coin door where I order tube locks in bulk all keyed the same (so I can open all my machines with 1 key) then I usually store the machine specific key inside the coin door. Several of my machines came with missing or incorrect locks and I sourced and re-placed the original locks. The Egret will be no different.

I found a great thread on locks over on Arcade Otaku here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=28502

According to that the Egret 29 uses LY0069 Locks with special LY0069-Double locks for the screen, which allows you to remove the key in either position. I read in one of the threats that Taito still had these new and in-stock a little over a year ago, so it would be awesome if they still have them. it looks like I'll need 2 regular (back door and PCB door) and 2 double style locks (monitor bezel), then I can use my normal locks for the coin door and cash box.

Some Resources/references:
Arcade Otaku Wiki also has a parts catalog and wiring diagram for the machine which should be super useful as well: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Taito_Egret_29

An owner who posted up some good pictures of the various mechanisms and how to use them:
http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_egret.php

Someone else's restore thread (has a repo marquee that's not even close to the original but looks pretty good, no idea where he got it though)
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28827

I'll post more when I get the machine in, which is scheduled for the 30th.

Last edited:
Been searching for one for a good while. Glad you were able to get your hands on one. One day... one day...

When i first looked at this cabinet i thought the designer must have been taking some serious drugs when he came up with this. Looking at it some more i kinda want one. It looks like it should be fun repairing and painting it the way you like. I feel like it looks like R2D2.

It would be really cool if you could laser etch a new repro marquee. With the right lighting it would look amazing and could be in dif colors.

It looks fantastic. That and the fact that a good restoration is very rewarding (but hard work) makes me want to see what the outcome will be.

Looking at it some more i kinda want one
I think that how most of us who like these cabs came to like them... it grows on you.

I always thought it looked like the console of a space ship from some 80s era anime.

I think that how most of us who like these cabs came to like them... it grows on you.
I honestly thought that it looked completely different from any other arcade machine out there. I think that is why I was sexually attracted to it.

First cab that actually made me see arcade cabinets in a different light (more as artwork than a big piece of wood/ plastic/ metal) was the Vewlix F. I saw that when it launched and instantly fell in love.

Cab was supposed to arrive today. I just got a call that the driver injured himself at another drop off and I'll have to wait until "sometime next week" for the next truck in my area ... :-/ I hope the dude's ok at least.

Humans.. :evil:

I do hope it's nothing serious!

Dug into this a bit last night. first thing I noticed was a really ugly smashed in bit above the service door :(
top_dent_1.jpg

top_dent_2.jpg

I used a Automotive panel removal tool to pull it out straight and fix it in short order:
top_dent_4.jpg

This whole cabinet is covered in nasty adhesive residue so I took off the PCB door to see what I could do to take it off.
pcb_panel_1.jpg

I used some goo-gone and even after soaking it got softer but still didn't want to come off. so then I went for the magic eraser and I think the combination of the two made it work.

pcb_panel_2.jpg

pcb_panel_3.jpg

Still a long way to go to clean up the rest of the cab...

Attachments

• top_dent_3.jpg
    top_dent_3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 545
For some reason the monitor chassis on this cab had been removed and was shipped separate
monitor_1.jpg

monitor_2.jpg

it's a NANAO MS8-29 the tube and the chassis look correct, the chassis is very clean, like the cleanest of any monitor chassis I've ever seen. so I almost wonder if this had been sent out of repair.

Looking the tube over I discovered this:
yoke_connector_1.jpg

a closer inspection of the chassis and .. yup it's a match...
yoke_connector_2.jpg

there doesn't seem to be any damage to the chassis but you can tell those pins have seen some heat
yoke_connector_3.jpg

Seller assured me that the tube and the chassis were both in great shape, I hope it's true, though it wouldn't have changed my buying this cab either way. I wouldn't mind replacing that yoke pin before re-assembling.

Anyone have any idea where I might source another yoke connector or other things I should check before putting the chassis back in?

The Monitor Guru's on KLOV seem to think a cold solder joint on the yoke connector is what lead to the overheating. Yoke meters out ok so I reflowed that connector and a few other suspect parts. I've also ordered a new Yoke connector from Arcade Buffet on KLOV.

Looking at pictures on line to get an idea of how to mount the chassis in the cab I discovered that the Chassis is supposed to sit in a plastic PCB tray the slides into the cab. I'm missing this part :(

Not my Chassis... Example of missing part:
ms8_plastic_tray.jpg

This part isn't listed in the the Egret 29 parts manual and it is shown in the Nanao MS8 manual, it also seeps to be present in just about every picture of an MS8 I've come across so I'd suspect this is a standard "part" of an MS8 chassis.

I've put up a WTB on KLOV and AO, but if anyone has one of these kicking around, or knows where I can get one please let me know.

--------------
Also thank you to @Derick2k for putting me in touch with Taito to source all original locks. they carry all the original lock tongues too but they wanted $75 a piece for them and I'm not about to spend as much on lock tongues than a did on the rest of the cab... so if anyone knows of anyone with the correct shape (hooked) lock tongues for the monitor locks, service door and coin door let me know.

Anyone with an Egret 29 who would be willing to take some detailed pictures and/or measurements of these lock tongues for me, that would be much appreciated as well.

Its an awesome looking cab, I really, really like it. I wish I could have picked up the other one. I be it will be a really awesome show piece in your collection. Congrats!! I will endearingly call it "Johnny5" :)

Looking at the Taito line, I think they just have the best looking candy cabs.

Back