What's new

TechnicalMonkey

Student
Reaction score
People are now doing the RGB on consoles and Arcade games. Wouldn't it be great to be able to fine-tune the levels to show up perfectly?

I would imagine that each signal would have to have pass filters to break the signal up in high and low sections and then control the strength of each of those sections then mix them back.

Modern TV s would have control of this in the service menu. However on TVs with RGB mods, this is not an option. So I ask you guys out there, are there any schematics on such a device? If you think that you can draw something up quick to try, that would be great as well.

you mean something like these pots? but for Home consoles and a arcade PCB to supergun? I think there are some project that have that already.
YkeyVsY.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-Advance...258281?hash=item237267c3a9:g:m8sAAOSwLF1X2wRr

probably not the part your looking for, but your talking about a RGB level adjustment knobs/pots, correct. like a visual EQ for a devise that dose not already have one?

What do you want to use it for?

Home Arcade System - new supergun sets

Brightness regulation via one dial in order to get perfect colour balance.

Last edited:
People are now doing the RGB on consoles and Arcade games. Wouldn't it be great to be able to fine-tune the levels to show up perfectly?

I would imagine that each signal would have to have pass filters to break the signal up in high and low sections and then control the strength of each of those sections then mix them back.

Modern TV s would have control of this in the service menu. However on TVs with RGB mods, this is not an option. So I ask you guys out there, are there any schematics on such a device? If you think that you can draw something up quick to try, that would be great as well.
Anyone who's modding their TV for RGB is likely installing pots just like MissionFailed pictured, or even knobs on the back of the casing somewhere or something. It would be.. an inexperienced move.. to not include some method of adjustment. With those it shouldn't be any different than calibrating any other CRT.

This is a good start so far, but I'm looking to take it a step further to control gain and cutoff of each color at least. I would imagine that would mean making a split and using pass filters to then control with pots then combine the signal again.

Maybe there is a more appropriate forum that deals in these kinds of projects? I'm looking to go nuts, like 16 bands nuts, if I can indicate how far i want to take it.

I'm looking to use this on live stream, I already figured out the cards and the direct rgb method, but I need to control the RGB signals -- especially the arcade ones. I did it with a pot on each, and it controlled the gain but I was losing the cutoff too easy. Hence, I want to go to the next step. I'm just a fledgling willing to learn.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of something like this for a while, but more comprehensively: something that you can load a 3DLUT (RxGxB look up table) into via USB, so you can do real colorimeter calibration of arcade CRTs and other displays where neither the source (console or arcade PCB) nor the display hardware have adequate colour adjustment controls. I first ran into this issue when I set the RGB gains on my XC2930C to a 6500K white point; (I assume) due to gamma, this makes grey and near-black way too brown. Connecting my laptop through VGA I could get the display perfectly calibrated, but of course I can't use that ICC profile with arcade boards or game consoles.

I'm more of a D53 kind of guy, but will a USB (dongle) connect to an analog CRT with no controls whatsoever?

Some analog capture cards seem to have a bit of a skewed color space, and CRT TVs that are RGB modded need this.

Last edited:
will a USB (dongle) connect to an analog CRT with no controls whatsoever?
Nah the idea is to have a circuit that just digitises the R/G/B lines, runs them through a lookup table, and spits them back out in analogue RGB, with the LUT programmable through a USB interface. Probably easiest to have a firmware ROM with fixed offsets for the LUT and a simple tool that splices the LUT into the ROM so you can program the board with it. Argyllcms has command line tools to extract the raw LUT from an ICC profile if needed.

Back