What's new

chriscast

Student
Reaction score
IMG_20120119_080937.jpg

Good day ,

I'm having this issue with a phoenixed marvel super heroes vs street fighter cps2 board, its been running fine for months.
Being played almost everyday.

can anybody give me ideas regarding this problem?

I see this screen immediately after I turn on the Unit. (sega New Astro City cabinet)

thanks! :)

Exception handler fault - I think this is something built into the phoenix ROMs, I don't think it's an original Capcom thing. If this game has been running fine for months it means one of your main program ROMs has died or is not working correctly. Normally this kind of fault occurs because the wrong region code has been installed.

Try opening up your B board and removing/reinstalling all of your ROMs and see if that helps. I seem to remember that the phoenix set replaces most of the original EPROMs on the board. 1 and 2 are the Q Sound ROMs so I don't think these get rewritten when using phoenix but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Either way, open up your B board and carefully remove and reinstall all of the EPROMs on your board (1-2 for Q Sound, I think it's 3-10 for main code) and see if the issue remains. If it does, do you have a programmer or access to one to dump your ROMs and see if any have failed?

Others who know more about how the exception handler works might be able to help more.

Like he said one of the program roms has most likely become corrupt. Just erase and reprogram them 1 at a time and test.

thanks for the ideas. ill try removing and reseating the roms first,

if it doesnt work gonna buy an eprom writer thing and learn how to use it.

i have an identical phoenixed board that i can "copy " from. (if that is even possible)

thanks for the ideas. ill try removing and reseating the roms first,

if it doesnt work gonna buy an eprom writer thing and learn how to use it.

i have an identical phoenixed board that i can "copy " from. (if that is even possible)
If it's still giving errors after reseating try swapping each rom one by one with the other pcb to pinpoint the problem rom.

If you just need some Prog ROMs burned, plenty of people here can help you out with that if you don't want to buy a programmer. That said, it is really nice to be able to program your own EPROMs.

Especially when you live a long distance away from the majority of our user base like he does.

I'm in Australia with a burner, if you need some new ROMs burnt let me know and I can help. I also have MvSF here so I can test them before sending :)

I'm in Australia with a burner, if you need some new ROMs burnt let me know and I can help. I also have MvSF here so I can test them before sending :)
Thank you, i will let you know. will probably open the cps2 during the weekend , do some cleaning and chip reseating before i go the 'replace roms' step.

thank you all

Back