What's new

jugu

Professional
Reaction score
So I bought this power supply brand new from Taito in June, and now appears dead:
http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail.asp?le=english&fid=27&pid=196&tCatName=POWER SUPPLY

I'm wondering if there's more I can do? I've done the following:
  • verified deadness in a second cab
  • fuse looks fine and has continuity
  • Input voltage into the connector is good
  • All the caps look brand new, no bulges, no leaks, no corrosion
  • Old Wei Ya P271 from second cab works fine in both cabs, eliminates first cab wiring as suspect
I haven't been able to find a schematic for the power supply, but where I've been able to probe, power is flowing with the correct voltage.

I haven't taken it completely apart as I've sent an email to Taito to see if these parts I've been buying have any kind of warranty.

And yes, I've been using a step-down converter to bring the voltage down to 100v.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Make sure you meter the fuse.

As a follow up. Buyer beware, there is no warranty on this equipment when purchased from Taito directly. But they did me a solid and sent me a replacement for the cost of shipping.

The fuse checks out fine on the suspect supply. But somewhere along the way, no power is reaching the output pins, but the components I've metered are at the expected voltage.

One thing, I've read the Wei-Ya P271 doesn't like voltages over 100v, and my step down is feeding it 102v. Maybe that's the problem. I'll look into testing another step down transformer.

One thing, I've read the Wei-Ya P271 doesn't like voltages over 100v, and my step down is feeding it 102v. Maybe that's the problem. I'll look into testing another step down transformer.
Yes I suspect this is the issue... The Vewlix PSU is VERY picky about input voltages.
When I first powered mine up I thought for sure it was f'd, then I got a high quality 500watt step-down and all the problems just disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wei Ya just never stops amazing me how crappy their shit is, really? it can’t handle 102V?

Voltages in excess of 100 make the PSU behave strangely... The 12v line will pulse like a heartbeat (9v~13v).

I got one new from Taito last year and it was dead within a week. Even using a stepdown didn't help. For the longest I used a spare sun PSU from a naomi, then I got a Sanwa JVS psu and I use that for naomi now.

Look I'm not defending the Wei Ya by any means... But why is everyone so opposed to using a step-down?

I've got dudes in the other thread saying to remove a PSU that comes stock, to replace with another not stock PSU, just so what? I wouldn't need a step-down that I already own? It's that really worth it?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. :rolleyes:

Look I'm not defending the Wei Ya by any means... But why is everyone so opposed to using a step-down?

I've got dudes in the other thread saying to remove a PSU that comes stock, to replace with another not stock PSU, just so what? I wouldn't need a step-down that I already own? It's that really worth it?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. :rolleyes:
Not at all man, but those psus give me a headache; I just wanted to play some naomi in the VLX, which is still giving me problems with the I/O and CVS2.

Late reply, but as I mented it above pictures of my 100v step down (with ground mod) feeding my Vewlix cabs.
P2gqoVn.jpg

aSHLprp.jpg

Late reply, but as I mented it above pictures of my 100v step down (with ground mod) feeding my Vewlix cabs.
P2gqoVn.jpg
Thanks for sharing this. I found it for $40 on Amazon. Definitely worth it to save psu. Is the ground mod you speak of just the extra plug pictured to get ground from plug to grounding screw in Japan voltage side?

Is the ground mod you speak of just the extra plug pictured to get ground from plug to grounding screw in Japan voltage side?
Yup that's all (a internal ground wire exists here) it is... Your going to want proper grounding, and that was a super easy way to restore it to the Japan voltage side. :)

Back