What's new

Logan McCloud

Student
Reaction score
Hi.

For those who will assist Barcelona Games World fair, please dont forget to visit Retro Barcelona at Pavilion n.2 to see the S-JIhP JVS I/O Helper live, working with several controls like Wheel Drivers, Analogic Guns, Motorcycle handlebar and more...

image_gallery

Pics will come.

Best regards.

Nice! If I had the skills I would make an updated version that would remap buttons in software rather than with the jumpers. But I still like my design. :)

Is it possible to get a summary of the controls that were used and showcased with the S-JIHP at the show? Mainly, it would be great to know all the different controls that can be modified to work with the S-JIHP and if possible, a process of how they can be modified to work for those of us that would also like to use them. I didn't know motorcycle handlebar had been modified to work with the S-JIHP and would be great for Wild Riders or even Harley Davidson for the Lindbergh. The S-JIHP is so versatile, but it would be great to have more resources on what is possible and how to modify the various controls to work with it. For those of us not great at soldering - if some adapters or otherwise were created, it would really be appreciated and expand the options for S-JIHP owners.
Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Hi Guys, some pics from the Mario Kart VS. setup from our stand along the all mighty JVS Helper by Mitsurugi.

dg2a3c.jpg

wwg01y.jpg

1i2aeq.jpg

29pp5p0.jpg

This is a simple set-up with 2 Triforce boards linked by LAN for VS. games.

From my understanding you can mod almost any wheel based potenciometers.

During the show we use car wheels, analogic guns (the ones from Revolution X) and motorcycle handlebar for Harley Davidson on Lindbergh and Wild Riders, I will try to post more pictures later.

My next project is to mod this little one here in order to play Ollie King:

$_86.JPG

If you are looking for one handlebar to mod I will recommend you something like this:

36788550.jpg

It uses 3 potenciometers, one for steering, one for the gas and another for the break, so is very easy to mod and also cheap.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Ok; so I have to know. The connector between the Logitech Wheel and the S-JIHP appears to be a DB15 to DB25 adapter? Can anyone give me the specs or model of that connector? It appears to make the Logitech Wheel "plug and play" with the S-JIHP; is this correct? If not, any idea how to create this adapter which would eliminate the need to mod the wheel itself? Thanks!

Also, anyone have a link for the handlebar controller? Not able to find it with initial google searches.

Last edited:
What is the reference of those wheels (black & yellow) ?
The wheel is the Logitech Wingman Formula GP, it comes in Yellow and Red, but be carefull it´s a tricky one, you will need to rewire some parts because he doesnt use the +5v line from the DB15 connector, so you need to provide the voltage user another unused pin and re-wire it internally.

If you get one of those just let me know and I will provide you the schematics for the mod.

Ok; so I have to know. The connector between the Logitech Wheel and the S-JIHP appears to be a DB15 to DB25 adapter? Can anyone give me the specs or model of that connector? It appears to make the Logitech Wheel "plug and play" with the S-JIHP; is this correct? If not, any idea how to create this adapter which would eliminate the need to mod the wheel itself? Thanks!

Also, anyone have a link for the handlebar controller? Not able to find it with initial google searches.
That is a custom adapter I made, is a simply DB25 & DB15 Breakouts, that allows me to wire some controls to the helper without mod them, I just switch the internal connections between both breakouts.

It´s not definitively the best solution, but is a quick n´dirty way to have many controllers hooked to the helper without modding every single one of them.

Regarding the handlebar, where are you from?

Best regards.

Last edited:
i would also like to know about that handlebar. Im in the US

Thanks for the response. I do have a Logitech Wingman Formula GP (Yellow) and would love to get your schematics for the mod. Please forward them to me if possible.

With that said; any chance you would built the custom adapter for me with the DB25 and DB15 breakouts? I would love to be able to simply swap peripherals with my S-JIHP with this adapter and not have to mod the Logitech altogether as I am not that handy when it comes to the modding process involving any level of soldering. Let me now if that is possible as it really looks like a cool adapter for the S-JIHP.

I am in the US and would love to get some information on the handlebar controller. Very cool.
What is the reference of those wheels (black & yellow) ?
The wheel is the Logitech Wingman Formula GP, it comes in Yellow and Red, but be carefull it´s a tricky one, you will need to rewire some parts because he doesnt use the +5v line from the DB15 connector, so you need to provide the voltage user another unused pin and re-wire it internally.
If you get one of those just let me know and I will provide you the schematics for the mod.

That is a custom adapter I made, is a simply DB25 & DB15 Breakouts, that allows me to wire some controls to the helper without mod them, I just switch the internal connections between both breakouts.
It´s not definitively the best solution, but is a quick n´dirty way to have many controllers hooked to the helper without modding every single one of them.

Regarding the handlebar, where are you from?

Best regards.

I would also like to know how you modded your controls. Can you post here? It would help a lot of people. I have the same wheel modded but your mod looks much cleaner. So awesome to see my xreation getting real world use!

:)

What controls were you able to use unmodded?

Handlebar controller on Ebay for US residents at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GAME-EL...345941?hash=item1e64093d15:g:yj8AAMXQDK1Rvy09

Regarding the breakout connectors, you can buy them on eBay, then you just need to bypass the connections following Mitsurugi pinout:

21jvkef.jpg

Using this method I have been able to adapt (without mod) some old PC controllers from Quickshot & Dexxa.

I will post the mod instructions for the Logitech Wingman later.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the handlebar controller - this should be an easy mod for the S-JIHP?

Regarding the breakout boxes and the Logitech Wingman Steering Wheel - based on the pictures it appears these wheels can be used with the breakout box only and no mods - the DB15 cord goes directly into the breakout box and out the DB25 to the S-JIHP. Can you explain how that actually works and/or a pinout of the Logitech wheel DB15 connector to match the S-JIHP pinout. The Mitsurugi pinout is easy to follow, just not following how the Logitech would connect via the breakout box and work without any mods to the wheel itself. (i.e. the pinout of the logitech wheel to match the Mitsurugi pinout would be awesome to know) I am looking forward to your schematics on the mod as well, but curious as to how the Logitech wheel can be used with the breakout box "without" a mod and the easy connection that could be used with the handlebar and other peripherals as a "quick connect" option.

Thanks for your efforts and information - very much appreciated to S-JIHP owners!

Modding the Logitech Wingman GP Formula (DB 15 version):

image.jpg

You can find it on Yellow and Red colors.

Previous considerations:

This wheel is a little tricky, a regular DB15 wheel will use the +5v from the DB15 connector, but this ones lack it completely so you need to add it to the wheel using an existing wire inside the controller.

Materials:
  • Logitech Wingman GP Formula Wheel - DB15 version
  • Iron Solder
  • Some wires
  • Heat-shrinkable sleeve (optional but recommended)
  • Hot glue gun (also optional and also recommended)
  • DB15 & DB25 Breakouts (optionals)

Pedals:

Let´s start with the pedals, remove the screws and open the pedal case to take a closer look at the pods and wires.
You will find something like this:

image.jpg

As you can see both pods are connected together, and the rest of the wires (green, yellow, white and red) are connected to the wheel using an standard RJ11 connector, so, let´s modify them to add a +5v line.

1. Cut the black wire between the pods.

2. Cut the 4 wires connected to the pods (green, yellow, white & red)

3. Tie together the White and Yellow wires from the pods

4. Tie together the Red and Green wires from the pods

You will end with something like this:

image.jpg

Now you have a commong ground line and a common +5v line.

Connect the wires from the pods to the 4 wires that goes to the wheel using this schema:

Wire from Pod​
Wire to Wheel​
Function​
Green + Red​
Yellow​
+5V​
Black from Gas​
Green​
AD1 - Gas​
Black from Brake​
Red​
AD2 - Brake​
Yellow + White​
White​
Ground​

Now you have the Pedals ready to go, I will post the rest of the mod later.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the handlebar controller - this should be an easy mod for the S-JIHP?

Regarding the breakout boxes and the Logitech Wingman Steering Wheel - based on the pictures it appears these wheels can be used with the breakout box only and no mods - the DB15 cord goes directly into the breakout box and out the DB25 to the S-JIHP. Can you explain how that actually works and/or a pinout of the Logitech wheel DB15 connector to match the S-JIHP pinout. The Mitsurugi pinout is easy to follow, just not following how the Logitech would connect via the breakout box and work without any mods to the wheel itself. (i.e. the pinout of the logitech wheel to match the Mitsurugi pinout would be awesome to know) I am looking forward to your schematics on the mod as well, but curious as to how the Logitech wheel can be used with the breakout box "without" a mod and the easy connection that could be used with the handlebar and other peripherals as a "quick connect" option.

Thanks for your efforts and information - very much appreciated to S-JIHP owners!
Hi arcadeWC.

Yes, the handle bar is easy to mod, regarding the Wingman Formula Wheel, for this particular wheel, even if you use a breakout or adapter, you will need to mod the Wheel, no matter what. :huh:

Best regards.

Regarding the breakout connectors, you can buy them on eBay, then you just need to bypass the connections following Mitsurugi pinout:

21jvkef.jpg
Ok I need those.
Damn that enclosure is nice.

Your photo is of the 15pin variant- I presume this is effectively the only 25 pin variant with a similar style enclosure?
www.ebay.com/itm/301807881691

Not a fan of the sideways tie-down blocks...
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Defor.

The breakouts are complete optionals, I use them because is a quick way to hook some non-standard DB15 controllers, but if you plan to modify a DB15 you an alway hook it up to the standard DB15 PC port on the JVS Helper.

Best regards.

Aha ok I see- you're doing 15 from the controller and 15 to 25 to get to the io

Aha ok I see- you're doing 15 from the controller and 15 to 25 to get to the io
On some controllers I re-wire them internally to use the standard DB-15 PC port on the helper.

For some others I just re-wire part of the controller and make the rest of the mod re-wiring between the breakouts.

Best regards.

Logan,

Any chance you can post the rest of the Logitech Wingman GP Formula steering wheel mod? The illustration for the pedals was great - looking forward to the wheel itself modifications.
Thanks!

Sure!, give me a couple of days to warm up, I have been sick in bed for a few days.

Back