What's new

K405

Professional
Reaction score
Finally had some time (well actually made some time, ended going to bed way too late and was late for work this morning.. :P) to show the ST-V multi and recently acquired ST-V mobo and the @miisalo game selector some love.

Turns out I am one of the lucky few to own an ST-V mobo which only runs one game. :thumbdown:
The game it runs fine is: Pebble Beach Golflinks The Great Shot. I found out by watching a Luke Morse youtube video:

I'm having the same issue as he's having.
I ran the self-test options and it came out good. Exactly as in below video:

So could this mobo be married to the game (through the BIOS?) or something?
Or is the game running because it doesn't need some hardware resources which the other games rely on?
I'd like to try the ST-V MODBIOS to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone know where to get one?

Do you have an original cartridge other than the game that does work you can put onto the motherboard to see if that runs?

Could be the reset signal isn't getting through when you're trying to load a new game

Do you have an original cartridge other than the game that does work you can put onto the motherboard to see if that runs?

Could be the reset signal isn't getting through when you're trying to load a new game
Unfortunately I don't own any originals but I'm pretty sure it will act the exact same way as the multi.
I'm not using the reset wire I'm doing everything manually. I'll make a video when I get home.

When I try to run a game other then Pebble Beach Golf it fails to start, you can see it tries to run, you see a short glitch but after that it's a black screen.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/yBhtdh5AHZI?t=5m51s

By the way: I don't have the jumper wire shown on the back on my ST-V mobo

Hey! I have one of these too. Original games run fine, but I never got the STV multi to work on it. I eventually bought another, so it isn't an issue now.. But I always wondered what was going on, and why.

The ST-V multi actually works when it's flashed with Pebble Beach Golf.

But in your case, with that certain mobo, it only runs on original carts? No matter which one as long as it's an original? Can you try loading up Pebble Beach Golf on the multi and give it a go?

That's a really odd problem, I wonder if Darksoft or miisalo have come across it, they'd probably be the ones to know what the issue is

I don't quite understand how that could even happen, wouldn't have thought there was anywhere that information could be stored on the motherboard, it's the arcade motherboard equivalent of the boot loader on a PC that boots a specific OS

I believe replacing the stock STV BIOS with the region free/select (J/U/E) BIOS will solve this issue.

Anyone know where to get a ST-V modbios? Or has a suggestion for a compatible EPROM which plays nice in a TL866 USB programmer? Or should I just get one from buyicnow?

What kind of chip is on the pcb now? Mask rom or eprom?

Anyone know where to get a ST-V modbios? Or has a suggestion for a compatible EPROM which plays nice in a TL866 USB programmer? Or should I just get one from buyicnow?
AT 27C400 or MX27C4100

edit:" Valid point Mitsurgi, my suggestions are only valid for the MASK-ROM

Not always. If his pcb uses a mask rom, yes. Otherwise you just need to use the same type of eprom on the pcb.
I forgot that, and edited my post the instant you posted :D
I have this installed:

stv_bios_j.jpg

That's a mask ROM right? So AT 27C400 or MX27C4100 will work ok. Hoping these can be programmed in a TL866.
Thanks a lot for the info guys, I'll let you know the outcome asap.

I also agree that this seems to be a BIOS issue. Never found such a PCB anyways, so can't say 100%

I ordered a MX27C4100 from buyicnow and sent him epr-stv-multi_v111.zip to flash. Does the data in the .bin need to be byte swapped? Text is backwards when opened in hexedit.
Which one did you buy? Will any work? I need one, maybe two of these as well to burn the multi-bios.
I wasn't sure what speed to choose so I just took the 90ns one, top one in the list. It's flashed and shipped through airmail so you might want to wait till I get it so i can verify.

Back