4. King of Fighters 98
5. Windjammers

Metal Slug series
Top Hunter
Shock Troopers 1+2
Pulstar
Gun Lord

Metal Slug series
No fair using multi game series as a single list entry, also...
How would you rank the Metal Slug Series?

For me MS is like this:
  1. Metal Slug 3
  2. Metal Slug 1
  3. Metal Slug X
  4. Metal Slug 6 (I understand this is on Atomiswave and not NG)
  5. Metal Slug 2
Part 4 and 5 are my low points for the series, 2 is fantastic but ultimately broken with slowdown so I rank X much higher.

Metal Slug series
No fair using multi game series as a single list entry, also...How would you rank the Metal Slug Series?

For me MS is like this:
  1. Metal Slug 3
  2. Metal Slug 1
  3. Metal Slug X
  4. Metal Slug 6 (I understand this is on Atomiswave and not NG)
  5. Metal Slug 2
Part 4 and 5 are my low points for the series, 2 is fantastic but ultimately broken with slowdown so I rank X much higher.
Haha, are you a NeoGeo fan, or just a Metal Slug? J/K

I'm a fighting game junky, so my top 5 are fighters.

1. Garou
2. Samurai Shodown V Special
3. KOF98
4. Last Blade 2
5. Samurai Shodown II

Garou, Samurai Shodown 2 and KOF98 are some of my all time faves on NG.

I was just calling out @Magnus for listing a series as a single game...
Then not breaking down the order of the games within said series. ;)

Really if you want to go deep deep with a Metal Slug addiction, you need to include games outside the series.
  1. Gunforce 2
  2. Gunforce
  3. Demon Front

Did you ever try out the Turbo mod for Slug 2? It addresses the slowdown substantially in single-player mode.

Turbo is faster, however, it still slowdowns way more than X.

That said, 2 > X, because I prefer the stages and boss ordering of 2 more.

Metal Slug X to me is like "Super/Turbo Metal Slug 2" similar to how fighting games will release multiple versions of the same game with extra characters, engine improvements, bug fixes etc.

The difference being SNK typically as I understand it offered bug fixes and stuff without releasing it as an entirely new game (so you sometimes find legit carts with a windowed EPROM inside) but MS2 was so totally broken they had no choice but to do a complete rewrite.

I don't own MS2 but given I do already own X I wouldn't go out of my way to buy MS2. X is as far as I'm concerned the way SNK wanted MS2 to be, but for whatever reason (likely development timeframe) wasn't.

X is as far as I'm concerned the way SNK wanted MS2 to be, but for whatever reason (likely development timeframe) wasn't.
I couldn't agree more with this statement!

In my mind X was the game the developer was trying to make, but couldn't for reasons of deadlines and the use of the existing/dated MS1 engine.
Now you may not care for the remixing of the levels, and I totally understand that. But I think anyone who says MS2 is NOT "a broken mess" is a damn dirty liar.

I did check out the Turbo MS2 above... One frame of lag reduction, uh yea... Sorry not nearly good enough!
When/if they reach 29 frames of lag reduction then I'll be interested, Turbo currently is STILL broken/too slow IMO.

Try it before you write it off-you'd be surprised at what one frame of lag reduction does. The main thing I like about Turbo Slug 2 over X is that all of the extra background animation is still there. They simplified things in X to get the framerate up.

As much as I can accept Metal Slug going downhill after 3. I don't know how anyone could prefer playing the second game over any other of the five entries in the series. I actually thought about getting the Switch version of MS2 recently. Until I watched footage of it online and realized all the original lag was still there.

As much as I can accept Metal Slug going downhill after 3. I don't know how anyone could prefer playing the second game over any other of the five entries in the series. I actually thought about getting the Switch version of MS2 recently. Until I watched footage of it online and realized all the original lag was still there.
I'm telling you - try Turbo 2. You'll be surprised.

Turbo 2 > X

Try it before you write it off-you'd be surprised at what one frame of lag reduction does. The main thing I like about Turbo Slug 2 over X is that all of the extra background animation is still there. They simplified things in X to get the framerate up.
And it worked. I've played both to completion and never really noticed it missing in X. There's enough going on in the foreground that it clearly wasn't necessary anyway and nice though it may be, the hardware wasn't powerful enough so it had to go

Back