What's new
I have a BFG 7800GS in my Yellow Lindy with multi kit
works fine
my official 7800GS card still works but ends up having weird polygon lines or missing bits of 3d after 30 mins of play, so seems to be overheating, is there a way to fix them? like baking them in an oven?

my official 7800GS card still works but ends up having weird polygon lines or missing bits of 3d after 30 mins of play, so seems to be overheating, is there a way to fix them? like baking them in an oven?
Is it even a BGA chip? those shitty "baking" solutions are only necessary if that's how the chip is attached.

I'd start by making sure you've got all the dust cleaned out of the fan and heat sync and putting on some fresh/high quality thermal compound.

oh I tried the usual stuff, it's super clean and using good thermal paste. the fan spins nice too
so i assume its the gpu chip at fault. I dont have the equipment to re ball it so will need to be a much lower tech solution.

Recently spotted some odd looking Lindy Yellows on YAJ - I'm pretty sure they are "Star Horse" satellite units & have no JVS or Sound cards installed and a 6800 videocard (I thought these weren't yellow units but google proved me wrong). So before you get carried away bidding on a Yellow on YAJ double-check the ports on the back.

I suspect getting the missing bits isn't going to be easy and the only reason to pick one up is for the case & motherboard....

I saw that one too. Complete waste of money if you ask me. Only the motherboard and the cage could be of any use.

*bump this old thread*

I just won a Yellow Board with no CPU and 1 Stick of RAM. I would like to make this a multi and I know that I need to know the parts that I need for it.

I assume that the CPU is a Northwood P4-800FSB@3GHz Socket 478.

But can I buy any DDR-400 sticks or do they need to be very specific (maybe locked to a specific SPD?) Would I get better snappiness with CL2 memory?

What ever happened to making this out of any PC? Was the project so fractured that it wound up being abandoned?

I know some of the games out there would have really wierd slow down

Since the Multi is not "BIOS Locked" would getting a better card like a 7950 (GS/GT...? The AGP Variant) Help those games?

I also need to know what HSF I need to get to fit this in, or can I upgrade this?

Will I need to make sure the Tach line is connected to the CPU fan header?

I really want to make this work.

Wish me luck and thanks in advance for any info.

*bump this old thread*

I just won a Yellow Board with no CPU and 1 Stick of RAM. I would like to make this a multi and I know that I need to know the parts that I need for it.

I assume that the CPU is a Northwood P4-800FSB@3GHz Socket 478.

Will I need to make sure the Tach line is connected to the CPU fan header?

Wish me luck and thanks in advance for any info.
I was watching that one. Nice to see somebody on here got it. I think any 3 pin 478 cooler that meets the TDP requirements of the cpu should be acceptable. If it were me I would run a cooler with a fan tach signal, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to. I would see if somebody can comment with the s-spec number of their original cpu as sometimes the stepping is different and not supported by the bios microcode.

Ninja edit: yes run a cooler with a tach signal.

lind.jpg

Last edited:
In terms of the using any machine to be a Lindbergh, I think if you had basically the same PCI cards in a normal PC it would possibly run. I'm not sure quite how the PIC chip communicates with the motherboard though, possibly over parallel port, so it's probably a big job to setup another computer to run like a Lindbergh? Lindbergh games can be run on a normal PC anyway now.

In terms of the different video cards, depends what multi you want to use - some will allow the use of different cards, others won't. I've found that all games will run on the 7800GS, so if you've got one of those then theres no need to upgrade really, if not maybe look for one of those cards online? If you're quite okay with working with Linux, you can find all the stuff for the multi which supports other cards for free out online. If not, I think you can probably still purchase one of the multi's from this forum, however I believe they require the original graphics cards to play.

I'm not sure quite how the PIC chip communicates with the motherboard though, possibly over parallel port, so it's probably a big job to setup another computer to run like a Lindbergh?
Yes, it's a parallel port.

I think any DDR-400 should be fine as long as the sticks are large enough. I would go for either 2x512mb or 4x512mb and see what happens. It either uses a P4 northwood or prescott so avoid ECC. You should be able to find the ram on the used market for under $10.

Here is a picture of the cpu of my lindbergh yellow - its a Prescott (SL8JZ).
Keep in mind that intel switch it's power specification for 478 when they release the later steppings - this means that 478 boards and cpus must match. I fell in this when I wanted to test my lindbergh board with an old 478 celeron (fortunately old cpu with new board is not critical but I'm not sure about a old board with higher voltages with newer cpu) :)

Attachments

• P4_lindbergh_yellow2.jpg
    P4_lindbergh_yellow2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 298
Back