What's new

FrizzleFried

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone answered this question on the KLOV thread but that thing is MASSIVE... so I figured I'd re-ask here so people can find it easy...

CPS-2 ROM Acronyms... obviously "J" = Japan, "U" = USA...

Now for assumptions...

Does "A" = Asia (which I guess is different than Japan even though Japan is in Asia)

For example... Alien vs Preditor = AVSP ... there is "ADM", "DM", "HDM", "UDM" and "JDM"...

JDM = Japanese
UDM = USA

I assume ADM = Asia, and HDM = Hispanic?

What's just DM?

Are any missing here?

Found the post on KLOV...

j = Japan
u = USA
a = Asia
h = Hispanic
b = Brazil
No letter = Euro/Etc (or USA if game not released in Europe or Japan if game not released in USA).

Names more or less follow MAME in this regard.

d = decrypted
l = decrypted by l_oliveira
m = decrypted by MottZilla
i = decrypted by idc

MAME romsets are named like this: (using pocket fighter as example)

pcf.01 and pcf.02 = eproms for sound program

pcf.03 through pcf.07 = 68000 program, object of the decryption process

pcf.11m and pcf.12m = Qsound samples

pcf.13m through pcf.20m = graphics

Additionally to what you catch from KLOV:
pcf is the code assigned for the game title by CAPCOM (PoCket Fighter)
if a letter "a,b,c,d, etc" exists after the three letters name of the game, it denotes that the file is a revision)
the numbers are the actual position for the rom chip on the b-board
"m" means "maskrom". meaning that chips without "m" on their names are EPROMs.

The names on Avalaunch sets follow mame, because the mame romsets are the source material for the decryptions.

Last edited:
I was wondering.. in Street fighter 2x: Grand MAsters?
what's the difference between romset Japan 940223 AM and Japan 940223 OP, been googling it but didn´t find anything..

Any tip on that?

Not sure this is the right thread to ask but I've always wondered how parent romsets are determined in MAME.
I understand when an undumped game is discovered it may imply to rename other known romsets but sometimes it just makes no sense to me.
For instance why was the M82 version of Air Duel changed to be the parent romset over the M72 version?
Unless there's a clear proof the game was released on M82 first (which I highly doubt) if we go by the datecodes on ROMs or serial on the sticker then M72 was first.

I believe the original idea was take the rom set with the biggest/widest region (affecting most people) as parent. Which would be World or Euro usually.

If it were me I would pick the earliest released set as parent but they also had interest on having the most up to date set to be the parent.

I believe the original idea was take the rom set with the biggest/widest region (affecting most people) as parent. Which would be World or Euro usually.
Yup what oliveira said... The M82 release was the biggest/widest release, so its dumped set is considered the parent.

It's not logical if you think about children as always coming from the parents.
Really the language should be replaced with the words "common" and "uncommon" (or even wide/narrow) as they are more accurate. ;)

If it were me I would pick the earliest released set as parent but they also had interest on having the most up to date set to be the parent.
Yup what oliveira said... The M82 release was the biggest/widest release, so its dumped set is considered the parent.
It's not logical if you think about children as always coming from the parents.
Really the language should be replaced with the words "common" and "uncommon" (or even wide/narrow) as they are more accurate. ;)
Thanks guys for the explanation.
Yeah to me parents had to be the earliest releases, not the most common.

what's the difference between romset Japan 940223 AM and Japan 940223 OP, been googling it but didn´t find anything..

Any tip on that?
would like to know this as well

Any tip on that?
would like to know this as well
I finally figured it out..
It seems that there is no difference at all at software level between 940223 AM and 940223 OP, but there is indeed differences in a hardware level:
Am comes from 'amusement' and they were just a regular versions, and OP comes from 'operator', and they are the versións of yellow rental boards, that for what I´ve read, they have the roms in smaller dips packets than regular versión, so you can find almost 40 roms chips in those bigs daugther boards..
The why of this move? I guess Capcom didn´t want the operators with technical knowledge to mess around with their boards..

Actually all of these CAPCOM ROMs have internal flags which enable or disable certain features. For example regular games are supposed to reset if they crash. Enabling the "debug" flag on some of the games make them stop when they crash, displaying a debug handler screen with the cause of the exception, CPU registers, stack dump and a viewer for the work memory. When that flag is enabled some games display the text "STOP VERSION" at the boot/version screen.

"SHOW VERSION" for example have "Free Play" enabled at the settings screen. Rental versions obviously have that removed/disabled.
What each game do with these configuration flags is not solid/set on stone and depends on which team developed it.

So, regarding SSF2X likely the OP version had free play function removed at settings and a mechanical coin counter mounted on the CPS2 case. (that's what the narrow slot near the communication connectors are meant for)

Brazil versions were all intended for rental so they display a soft counter on the screen when you hold the 3 punch buttons during attract mode. Three soft counters are shown on the screen at the bottom.

The boards also count the plays on software and store the value at the A board eeprom. That's why some of them had the A and B boards sealed together with tape and security seals (those that leave white void dirt text on the surface when pulled). Changing the game erases the data on the A board eeprom, destroying the counters stored data.

So those versions have dip switches on B boards, aren´t they?
Actually, these "dips" I was talking about are "flags" into the rom (bytes you can toggle bits in it to enable or disable features).

There's a version of CPS2 B board with 24 double pole switches in it. That is the development board. And those 24 double-pole switches are the debug switches. Some games start checking for the debug dips if the debug flag is enabled within the rom. Some games (COTA) do check for them no matter what and that's why MAME need a "kludge" at a certain address of the CPS2 memory. One of the dips are a "freeze" switch for making screenshots.

Found the post on KLOV...

j = Japan
u = USA
a = Asia
h = Hispanic
b = Brazil
No letter = Euro/Etc (or USA if game not released in Europe or Japan if game not released in USA).

Names more or less follow MAME in this regard.

d = decrypted
l = decrypted by l_oliveira
m = decrypted by MottZilla
i = decrypted by idc
Hello do I understand right that in this case only 2 file have been modified and need to be erased and programed? or do all files need to be replaced?
GkXCjIL.png

If you are wanting to install decrypted code onto an SF Zero 3 Hispanic region board, just those 2 ROMs need to be installed.

Back