What's new

TheRiddick

Student
Reaction score
Hello

I have a cps3 that was super biosed and was working perfect till about a month ago.

Every once in a while the game just freezes and i need to shut it down and start up again.

Does any one know why this is happening?

Does the CD drive need to be replaced? or maybe the CD got scratched or something?

any help would be great

Thanks,

I don't think it's the CD drive. I believe it just check the cart and stop. I would do a simm test.

Remove and reinsert the cart, a few times maybe.
Rewrite the game if you haven't already.
You can do a SIMM test, but keep in mind IF you are using a SuperBIOS (Darksoft) cart the first SIMM will always report a bad CRC.
FkFyy4

The disc drive is only used to write the SIMMs and verify the game at launch, if you are progressing beyond the "checking disc" screen it's not the drive... However you may want to think about getting a SCSI2SD device anyway, its great!
v8cCs5

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a while troubleshooting a similar issue and it came down to dirty simms / dirty simm slots.

If anything bumps the system at all, even vibrations, and the simms are dirty, the game will immediately freeze.

I strongly recommend cleaning CPS3 simms with deoxit thoroughly. Eraser and alcohol just doesn't cut it. That really ought to straighten you out with any luck.

Another way to test is to use the darksoft superbios to erase all simms and then run CRC check (not the quick, the full) repeatedly on each simm. If the checksum ever changes that's your troublesome simm. It's time consuming, but thorough.

Also, what jassin said... scsi2sd is awesome both for reliability and making the system much smaller/lighter.

Also make sure that your power levels are good from the PSU. I've had a weak PSU cause similar crashing.

Outside of that make sure the cart is perfectly seated.

Thanks every one for the help

Heya @skate323k137

i'm guessing you just take out each chip and wipe down with the Deoxit cleaner?

I'm guessing this one will do (Hosa D5S6 Deoxit Cable Contact Cleaner Spray)

Also when i got my cab i put a shelf on the inside because my board was screwed to the side so i can change out games easier.

Can I buy anything to secure by CPS3 board from jumping around (like a case or soemthing)?

would that work for a CPS2 board? Also the pic above show's like glass on each side. i'm guessing something like that would keep it from shaking and keep it from getting less dust in it? What is that called?

hmmm ok, I did the SIM test and everything looks good SIM 2-6 say ok.

I took out all the SIM's and wiped them down with rubbing alcoholl.

I also took out the cart and put it back in.

I"m still having freezing issues in the game.

i'm not sure how to erase all simms and then run CRC check. I dont want to screw anything up any one supply a step by step guide. Sorry till a newbie with this stuff.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks,

To rewrite the game hold start on boot up to get into the superbios menu. From there you can rewrite the game. Have you clean the cart contact? You can spray some deoxit in the lid (or any container) and use a q-tip to clean the contacts. Better yet would be to open up the cart via a 4.5 game bit or carefully with needle nose pliers.

Ya I did rewrite the game and still having the same problem. ya i think i need to order the deoxit from amazon and do some more cleaning on the cart and the sims.

If rewrite went ok I would say the problem is with the cart or cart slot and not the simm. If you can get a hold of some brasso or silvo it will be better to open the cart and do a good cleaning

I use a dab of Brasso on the contacts of every cart I receive or service. I use my finger to rub it on both sides of the cart contacts and then buff it off with a microfiber cloth.

Back