What's new

Cell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to upgrade my Type X2 and there is a ton of info in this forum and other places, but I thought it might be nice to get it all in one place for people that want to upgrade their Type X2s also.

Taito Type X2 Tech Specs:

p1000722_zpsnef8iggb.jpg

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/Pentium 4 651/Celeron D 352 (up to latest Core 2 CPUs supported by the chipset)
Chipset: Intel Q965 + ICH8
Monitor: 720p/1080p/1440p HD LCD Monitor
RAM: DDR2 667/800MHz (512MB/1GB, up to 4GB)
GPU: PCI Express x16-based graphics. Support cards include ATI RADEON X1600Pro/X1300LE or
nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS/7600GS/7300GS, up to latest graphic cards (Radeon HD 3800 or Geforce 9800 series)
Sound: Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 channel Sound (supports add-in sound cards)
LAN: 10/100/1000 BASE-T
I/O ports: 1x JVS, 4x USB 2.0 (up to 8), 1x serial (max 2), 1x parallel port, 2x PS/2, 2x SATA
Audio inputs: AKG C535EB Stage Microphone, line-in (Surround 7.1)
Audio outputs: 7.1, SPDI/FX
Expansion Slots: 1x PCI Express x16 (used by video card), 1x PCI Express x4, 2x PCI
Storage: 2x 80 GB 10k RPM SATA Hard Drives
Media: 80 GB 10000 rpm Hard Drive

My Type X2 is a model 207A. According to the Arcade Otaku Wiki, this model is supposed to have issues with KOFIII:
Certain titles, notably The King of Fighters XIII will not boot on Model 207A motherboards; the boards return Error Code: 901 when attempting to boot the game.You can identify the model of the motherboard by checking the white information sticker on the exterior of the case.

IMG_8316_zpspcqbxkop.jpg

DRIVES:

The first upgrade I made to mine was to put in a Solid State Drive. A SSD will only run at Sata 2 even if you get Sata 3 or higher. I also put in a 2.5" to 3.5" spring loaded "caddy". This way I can just lift up the hard drive plate and quickly eject the SSD. Some people have installed a drive holder into rear slots in their case.

IMG_8349_zpsqzcrfwjh.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-...92833&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=toshiba+coz+tr150

IMG_8350_zpsswvpcfuh.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-2-5-S...3801&sr=1-2&keywords=vantec+ssd/hdd+converter

IMG_8270_zpskd9bfzzr.jpg

IMG_8271_zpsplbo6dff.jpg

These below work great when installed in an empty PCI slot. Makes changing/updating drives very quick and convenient. ---Mitsu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162140919641

MEMORY/RAM:

The Type X2 uses DDR2 667/800MHz (512MB/1GB, up to 4GB).

My Type X2 came with 1gb of ram. I wanted to upgrade to 2gb. My friend had some DDR2 800mhz ram laying around in 2gb sticks so I went ahead and upgraded to 4gb.

IMG_8354_zpsjbhyvwyr.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Gold-240...1476293633&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=ocz+oc2+6400

CPU:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/Pentium 4 651/Celeron D 352 (up to latest Core 2 CPUs supported by the chipset)

My Type X2 came with a 3.4ghz P4. Another CPU you can use is Q6600. Our very own Niko has some CPU info:

Niko said:
You really should stick with a CPU of at least 3.4Ghz or higher. Some games will actually optimize themselves for the hardware they are running on, I've seen this specifically with Ultra Street Fighter IV. Other games are dependent on certain hardware "features", like 3.4Ghz CPU, 7900GS GPU, and even the video driver version.

I think the Q6600 upgrade came from when Jackassalus made his multi which was so over protected it took FOREVER to start and ran like shit. So to help, he recommended people upgrade their CPU which probably made things worse outside of startup times which where still pretty bad.

IMG_8353_zps1zddlsf8.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_wg=Xwj4C&psc=1&refRID=ZDAM39ZPK90KSXS7VEB2

FANS:

Im still trying to collect more info on the fans. There are 3 types of fans that can be replaced:

Jugu used these fans in his:
CPU Cooler: 70mm amazon.com/Silent-FN-SX07-22-D…ling-Screws/dp/B00BF3UJKC
Case fan: 120mm amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Sickl…0-Radiators/dp/B0026ZPFDE
Power Supply: 40mmx20mm amazon.com/Scythe-Mini-ULTRA-Silent-SY124020L/dp/B000VRVHFO

All the fans were drop in replacements except for power supply fans. Those did require snipping the connectors from the original fans and soldering them to the new fans.

This is a work in progress. Please post info and pics of any upgrades you've made and what has worked for you. :)

Last edited:
I plan to upgrade my TX2 as well, basically just gonna take out the I/O board and install it into my gaming desktop. :D

Would you mind adding a different or another link to the CPU.. Amazon does not have it in stock.. There is an used CPU seller but I rather see if there are any new.. I will also be watching for the power supply fun replacement.

You really should stick with a CPU of at least 3.4Ghz or higher. Some games will actually optimize themselves for the hardware they are running on, I've seen this specifically with Ultra Street Fighter IV. Other games are dependent on certain hardware "features", like 3.4Ghz CPU, 7900GS GPU, and even the video driver version.

I think the Q6600 upgrade came from when Jackassalus made his multi which was so over protected it took FOREVER to start and ran like shit. So to help, he recommended people upgrade their CPU which probably made things worse outside of startup times which where still pretty bad.

Thank you for the info. I wanted to just show another CPU that works but this is good to know. Ill update first post quoting your info. :thumbsup:

i second niko on the cpu. If you really want mame get a rpi or a dedicated pc setup working. The ttx is really limited for mame.

As for ram go 1gb+ i say plus because ram is cheap on ebay so yo might get 2gb cheaper than 1gb.

The case and cpu fans are pretty quite stock and unless you know a bit about the thermal properties of HSFs then you should leave it alone.

The psu fan on the other hand is loud as hell and finding a quite fan to replace it isn't easy

If installing it in a arcade machine sourcing a konami pcb shell might be a better solution as you will be able to use a atx psu instead while still having mounting hardware to affix it to a wood board.

i second niko on the cpu. If you really want mame get a rpi or a dedicated pc setup working. The ttx is really limited for mame.

As for ram go 1gb+ i say plus because ram is cheap on ebay so yo might get 2gb cheaper than 1gb.

The case and cpu fans are pretty quite stock and unless you know a bit about the thermal properties of HSFs then you should leave it alone.

The psu fan on the other hand is loud as hell and finding a quite fan to replace it isn't easy

If installing it in a arcade machine sourcing a konami pcb shell might be a better solution as you will be able to use a atx psu instead while still having mounting hardware to affix it to a wood board.
Great info. Thank you.

Isn't their an LGA 775 Core 2 ? clocked at 3.33 that one should run a bit cooler id say the then Pentium 4 speaking purely off Computer knowledge here

In terms of replacement Fans for the psu Id say the easy solution is to buy a new smaller PC case that accepts atx powersupplys however if you want to upgrade your original fan I am not sure as the size, in MM Acording to wiki it is a 2 wire, 80MM fan

Id replace it with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3YB0449

Should mention some psu;s have a fan header inside some are hard soldered, so you might need an iron to put it in.

Isn't their an LGA 775 Core 2 ? clocked at 3.33 that one should run a bit cooler id say the then Pentium 4 speaking purely off Computer knowledge here

In terms of replacement Fans for the psu Id say the easy solution is to buy a new smaller PC case that accepts atx powersupplys however if you want to upgrade your original fan I am not sure as the size, in MM Acording to wiki it is a 2 wire, 80MM fan

Id replace it with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9PV3YB0449

Should mention some psu;s have a fan header inside some are hard soldered, so you might need an iron to put it in.
Thanks for the link. I think a smaller ATX case would be nice if it still would fit in a cab well. Niko's looks great but it seems a little big and he uses it outside on the floor. I would want mint to fit in a Vewlix. It would be nice if we could figure out the smallest case we could use. I would buy one and try it out.

First post updated.

Jugu used these fans:
CPU Cooler: 70mm amazon.com/Silent-FN-SX07-22-D…ling-Screws/dp/B00BF3UJKC
Case fan: 120mm amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Sickl…0-Radiators/dp/B0026ZPFDE
Power Supply: 40mmx20mm amazon.com/Scythe-Mini-ULTRA-Silent-SY124020L/dp/B000VRVHFO

All the fans were drop in replacements except for power supply fans. Those did require snipping the connectors from the original fans and soldering them to the new fans.
I will try these out and add pics.

Last edited:
1st i was like wdf i know the psu is 80mm then i Noticed thats cuz i looked up Ttx1 :D lol silly me :3

The original PSU fans are 40mmx40mmx40mm ( I believe), which I was not able to find. The 40x40x20 fans will leave a gap between the fan and power supply housing. I'll take pictures and share.

Lol. Busting some Caddy Shack out on that ass!

Well its a matter of personal taste, but some PC fans range in the 30$ range So for a fan made by notua literally the best fan marker in the world i dont think its to bad but to each their own

Edit you where reffering to the 40x40x40, well like i said i go with the noc its 12Db.

Back