What's new
On my diamond blue I run Noctua NF-A15. 12V .96watt .08amp 1200 rpm with Noctua’s SS02 metal bearings. Bolt pattern is perfect and I just splice in the new fan connector into the existing supply. So freaking quiet. FWI...noctua is not the cheap route, it’s the $$$ route as far as fans go....is airflow really where any of us collectors should be saving money.

Attachments

• B1E071A0-1F5E-439A-A9BE-9740DB53E596.jpeg
    B1E071A0-1F5E-439A-A9BE-9740DB53E596.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 201
Noctua is not too bad on amazon. They are usually in the $15 range. I’ve dumped like $150 on fans recently but it is easily worth it. My vewlix cab is nearly silent with a ttx2 in it. It’s finally the machine I wanted. I enjoyed it while it was noisy but now I really like it. And there is no way I could run Naomi in my supergun or on a tv without it driving me insane before I did the fan mod. I plugged in my Naomi 2 yesterday and it was awful. Ordered fans 2 minutes later.

Just posted quite a bit of detail about my X2 consolization and related mods, including a full parts list and link to re-drawn X2 labels. I made a separate thread, but probably should have just posted all the info as a reply to this thread. Here's the post for those that are interested: TypeX2 Consolization & Re-Drawn Case Labels

One of the things I most wanted to achieve was near-silent operation, which I managed thanks to many of the replacement fan recommendations found in this thread along with a GPU fan replacement and fan-speed controller. Details at the link above.

Do any of you guys know where I can get the hdd door for a taito type x2. Just purchased one but does not have/come with the hdd drive door. Your assistance would be much appreciated. If anybody has anybody has extras they would be willing to sell pm please.

Do any of you guys know where I can get the hdd door for a taito type x2. Just purchased one but does not have/come with the hdd drive door. Your assistance would be much appreciated. If anybody has anybody has extras they would be willing to sell pm please.
You can get a repo one right here. Website to purchase from
Edit: sorry website link is for type x not x2

On my diamond blue I run Noctua NF-A15. 12V .96watt .08amp 1200 rpm with Noctua’s SS02 metal bearings. Bolt pattern is perfect and I just splice in the new fan connector into the existing supply. So freaking quiet. FWI...noctua is not the cheap route, it’s the $$$ route as far as fans go....is airflow really where any of us collectors should be saving money.
I just picked up the fan you recommended for my Vewlix C Cabinet but upon removing my stock fan I noticed it was a 2 wire. Do you recall which wires you spliced into the cabinets harness?

EDITED:
Did some quick searching on google. (should have done it sooner before posting)

a 4-wire fan for a PC has these functions typically.

If the wires are Black, Yellow, Green, Blue

Black wire - Ground
Yellow wire - 12v+
Green wire - Sense/Tachometer
Blue wire - Control/PWM (this wire usually controls speed of fan)

The Noctua I received are those colors, so I'll be wiring the Red to the Yellow and the Black to the Black.

Figured I'd most my findings and contribute back to the forum in case this comes up again.

Last edited:
Yes ground to ground, hot to hot. If you want to check the two cabinet wires - chassis ground your volt meter and check for 12v in the two cabinet wires with volt meter set to DCV, that’s your supply hot. Switch the voltmeter to continuity and the ground wire will beep when the volt meter is chassis ground.

You can get a repo one right here. Website to purchase fromEdit: sorry website link is for type x not x2
It will fit an X2 just the same. More of an issue with clearance between the HDD and CPU fan. Less of an issue with an SSD if the mounting brackets don’t interfere. I have also mounted a SSD directly to the plate with Scotch ‘Extreme’ tape - Velcro for mounting fire extinguishers to walls with...

E0A94585-0B94-46F3-A463-615F5A16A0C7.jpeg

Anyone ever run into an issue where only one of the PSU fans spins up?

I had this issue prior to swapping out the stock fans for quieter ones, and the problem persists after swapping the fans. I've confirmed all four fans (both originals, and both of the replacements) work when they're plugged into the "working" header. I did not observe any obvious reason that the other fan wouldn't work (like a bad header connector, damaged traces), so kind of at a loss as far as what to do next.

Board works perfectly fine, and has been working for years. That second PSU fan probably hasn't been spinning up the entire time, I didn't really notice it until I went through the process of swapping out the stock fans for quieter replacements. It's still not spinning up even after I swapped them, and both of the stock fans and both of the replacement fans spin up perfectly fine when I plug them into the other PSU fan header, as I explained in my previous post.

There are some bulging caps on the board... would that really cause one of the PSU fans to not spin up? lol. Really not eager to try desoldering caps on this board, it's thick, multiple layers, and probably lead-free solder... ugh.

Would have to check my X2 to be sure of both spin at the same time.
Perhaps the X2 has a thermal system that only kicks in the 2nd above a certain threshold?

But from memory I think both spin permanently though...

Just dug through a pile of X2's in the garage and spotted one is cyberdiver

All my other X2's are P4 3.4Ghz + 2Gb ram + 7900GS.

This one is C2D 2.13Ghz + 2Gb ram + 9800GT.

Would my best option be to swap the videocard for a 7900GS and what CPU is going to work best for V2.0 multi + MAME.

Do I go for a P4 3.4 or try to source an X6800 extreme?

Board works perfectly fine, and has been working for years. That second PSU fan probably hasn't been spinning up the entire time, I didn't really notice it until I went through the process of swapping out the stock fans for quieter replacements. It's still not spinning up even after I swapped them, and both of the stock fans and both of the replacement fans spin up perfectly fine when I plug them into the other PSU fan header, as I explained in my previous post.

There are some bulging caps on the board... would that really cause one of the PSU fans to not spin up? lol. Really not eager to try desoldering caps on this board, it's thick, multiple layers, and probably lead-free solder... ugh.
I'm sorry. i totally misread the problem. I thought you said no fans spin up. My bad!

I also used fans that are not as thick as the original ones. Just taped around the gap to make sure that the airflow is still the same.

I used 40x40x20 and filled the gap with kapton tape. ;)

anyone a idea where to get a silent fan for the grafic card?
You try fitting an Artic Cooling NV silencer I think. But with proper case cooling it should be enough.

Make sure to also clean your graphics card, you can take it apart apply new thermal paste.

Back