What's new
For those wondering between the CPU and RAM upgrade is made a huge difference. Games do load fast, play smoother with less system hick-ups. This made an even larger difference on the non tradition games I used with Niko's set up. IE MAME and the PlayStation 1. With the added oomph I may look into being able to run at higher resolutions and maybe with some of the shader/filters on.

I still need to flash my new video card before I can use it. This should give me even more of a boost as I will be going from 256mb to 512mb with a higher core clock speed. Now days this does not sound like much of a difference but in an older system like this .. its HUGE.
Well I am unsure If it was posted in this thread but ill post it again

due to IPC improvements form intels P4 line to the LGA775 Core2 Line

you got the top end cpu I suggested and thats great, that one should be about as good at single threaded workloads as a 4.4-4.5gfz p4, and thats before you take into account the well, 2nd core you gain with this chip

If you are unable to get this one, there is a 2.73 ghz model of core 2 , then you have the core 2 quad, however keep note the core 2 quad, is on the edge of better / worse then the stock p4 its hard to say really.

So for people who are going to ask what dose this really effect?

and that's a relatively easy one, it dosent change anything in the Typex line of games. all of these games use vsync in windows, and are capped to 60 fps
the only case where this type of cpu upgrade, is going to negatively impact gaming performance, is edge case games where maybe during game-play they had frame dips, and on this much beefy cpu/gpu combo those framedips will be removed.

Outside of that emulators, my Gui, everything should have vastly more performance, with this type of mod. as your effectively more then doubling the compute power of the cpu

in terms of your video card upgrade, that isnt going to benefit emulators as much as you may think. Emulators like mame, barely touch the gpu
and I dont know every emu you plan on running, but chances are alot of the older ones dont have much gpu acceleration
that being said, Id personally slap a 9800 GTX in it, the only issue with will fiddling with drivers to find one that works
But i could see a 9800 GTX + 2gb of system ram, running some GCN/Wii games.

Edit also, you can make the psu mod internal, if you can get a typex1 case :D

des anyone have a idea how to silence the gfx Card. this small fan is so annoying.

des anyone have a idea how to silence the gfx Card. this small fan is so annoying.
You have two silent solutions. Either get a passive cooling heat sink or use a water cooling block.

Be warned a passive cooling block will only work if you have plenty of airflow through the case and with the stock TTX2 case having so many openings and crevices this might not be such a good idea.

On the other hand water cooling requires a punp, reservoir, radiator fans, tubing, hoses .. you are going to spend some money on that.

You could fit a third party cooler (passive, bigger fan etc) the problem you will have though is availability given how old the card is.

Alternatively download an older version of Rivatuner (XP compatible) and check what the GPU temps actually are, it wasnt uncommon for GPUs to have terrible fan profiles so they were basically off or on. You should be able to set a custom fan profile which will scale with the temperature how you like.

Edit:Ninja'd by @Dreygor who also thanks for those links a handy reference.

@hardyhell Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Heatpi...GT-7900GS-7950GT-9600GT-9600GSO-/391967471782

I remember fitting one of these to an 8800GT back in the day, it went from sounding like a Harrier jumpjet to practically silent (compared to other PC components)

LOL I guess I'm pretty thankful my graphics cards do not make very much noise, because there is nooooooo way that passive heatsink would fit in my set-up. Not nearly enough room for that beast.

LOL I guess I'm pretty thankful my graphics cards do not make very much noise, because there is nooooooo way that passive heatsink would fit in my set-up. Not nearly enough room for that beast.
Yeah i'm guessing that cooler is triple slot which would actually fit in yours if you moved the SSD but that's neither here nor there as you don't need it and it was only meant as an example.

I'd definitely flash up rivatuner though and see what the card temps and fan is doing in response, that was a problem on my 8800GT fan would do nothing , nothing , then @50degC 100% duty cycle. Take like 10 minutes and no hassle (swapping coolers etc)

Last edited:
could always unplug the fan, and duct tape i mean ziptie, a new one on it.

For those wondering between the CPU and RAM upgrade is made a huge difference. Games do load fast, play smoother with less system hick-ups. This made an even larger difference on the non tradition games I used with Niko's set up. IE MAME and the PlayStation 1. With the added oomph I may look into being able to run at higher resolutions and maybe with some of the shader/filters on.
I was experiencing some stuttering playing KOF and didn't know if my type x2 had an issue or not. I upgraded my ram from 1gb to 2gb. I haven't experienced anything since then. Slow down is still there on busy scenes so I'll replace the CPU and graphic card. Thanks for confirming

Thanks for the help
You could fit a third party cooler (passive, bigger fan etc) the problem you will have though is availability given how old the card is.
Alternatively download an older version of Rivatuner (XP compatible) and check what the GPU temps actually are, it wasnt uncommon for GPUs to have terrible fan profiles so they were basically off or on. You should be able to set a custom fan profile which will scale with the temperature how you like.

Edit:Ninja'd by @Dreygor who also thanks for those links a handy reference.

@hardyhell Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Heatpi...GT-7900GS-7950GT-9600GT-9600GSO-/391967471782

I remember fitting one of these to an 8800GT back in the day, it went from sounding like a Harrier jumpjet to practically silent (compared to other PC components)

Has anyone tried using a Xeon CPU in the X2 either native 775 or modded 771?

I found this replacement fans for the graphics card. I know mine sounds like a jet plane.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BFG-NVIDIA...rentrq:7639c1f616c0abc665be6988ffe1a11a|iid:1
I just installed that into my machine.And I just now realized I didn’t even turn it on to see how it sounds. Doh!
Let us know how it sounds! I'm looking to replace that jet turbine.
It's quiet...
Too quiet.
I ordered 2 fans a few days ago :thumbsup:

hi there ...what do i need to do in order to upgrade my taito grafic card to a geforce 9800 ?

hi there ...what do i need to do in order to upgrade my taito grafic card to a geforce 9800 ?
Why do you want to do that? Most of the games expect a 7900 series card.

Hi Niko ... a friend of mine give this graphic card, i was thinking that i can use to upgrade my board ... Can i use ?
Thanks

Someone should try watercooling. It would be pointless but cool

Last edited:
Back