What's new
There are a few options on eBay, but you may need to see what works for your card...
This thing may fit - it seems to be a generic offering...

s-l1600[1].jpg

Can't promise it's silent, but a new fan should be quieter...

not sure if i want to change the fan speed. rather take a mod approach with the fan

@hardyhell must be something wrong with your GPU fan then, bad bearing perhaps?
Never had an issue with the stock on multiple 7900/797 cards.

changed out CPU/PSU/Case fans though...

Both of my stock psu fans were crazy loud so it may be that the bearings wear out on some and not others. There doesn't appear to be a quiet-ish drop-in replacement for the GeForce 7900, unfortunately. Here's the closest I was able to find:

Delta Electronics 45x9.8mm 12V DC Frameless Fan (EFB0512HHAFAH)

It's definitely quieter than my stock fans, but very slightly too thick to fit stock heatsink-shroud combination. I just added some tiny spacers and it worked fine. I also decided to add a small fan-speed controller to give me more control of the speed setting when I want near-silent operation.

Just a +1 for upgrading the ram to your TTX2

I've been doing a lot of work on this system with 512mb of ram in it. Adding 1gb ram speeds things up a LOT.

It speeds up the loading of the multi game screen, jumping back to that screen from a game.

Games load up a lot faster, and they don't sometimes get choppy mid game.

USF4 especially loads a lot quicker and even between each screen is much faster loading. Ram for these is really cheap, don't be stuck on 512mb!!

HYMP112U64CP8-S6-AB-C-lg.jpg

I used this ram. It cost me $12AUD for 2GB. - 2 x 1GB sticks. About the same price as a large big mac meal from mc donalds!
In my TX2, RAM is 2 x 512 MB (1 GB) 1Rx16.
Can I replace 1Rx16 with 1Rx8 like yours above ?

Has anyone messed around with potential audio upgrades before?

The audio is pretty bad on my TTX2 because the jack is very worn out. I tried a simple plug and play USB sound card I had on hand with no luck (nor did I really expect it to work tbh)

Would be nice to get audio out without having to rely on a fragile jack mounted into the mobo IO.

The audio is pretty bad on my TTX2 because the jack is very worn out. I tried a simple plug and play USB sound card I had on hand with no luck (nor did I really expect it to work tbh)

Would be nice to get audio out without having to rely on a fragile jack mounted into the mobo IO.
Have you thought about using audio via the S/PDIF output to an external Audio solution?

I know almost nothing about Audio, but there is an optical output just sat there on the JVS I/O...

An external solution should be plug and play, and could offer better sound quality than onboard?

Have you thought about using audio via the S/PDIF output to an external Audio solution?
I know almost nothing about Audio, but there is an optical output just sat there on the JVS I/O...

An external solution should be plug and play, and could offer better sound quality than onboard?
Good call!

I'm embarrassed to say that it never occurred to me to check the JVS I/O for audio because the port was covered with a plastic plug and I glossed over that, even after total disassembly since I wanted to pull the mobo out to better see if I could find a replacement audio jack (If I just paid attention, one of the cables I pulled was out of the SPDIF header on the mobo lol).

I did find the replacement part on aliexpress, so I'll probably replace the audio jack once that arrives in about a month, and I can use SPDIF for sound right now while I wait.

got them sorted out already. but believe me the gpu fan is insane
How did you get this sorted? I've just tested my card in a quieter environment and it also runs very loud.

It seems that the card is hardcoded to run the fan at close to full when it runs a game. I tried to adjust fan curves by editing the bios but it's not possible with the tools i tried. Also rivatuner doesnt work with it either.

Just curious what you did?
i sorted out the other fans by replacing them with silent ones. and the systems runs relative silent until the gpu fan kicks in at full speed.

Haha, i was thinking of doing exactly the same thing.

It's quiet until a game boots then its just full 100% and doesn't slow down.

I just grabbed this 7900 for $12. It looks like it has a better cooling system. Hopefully i can make this one work in the system. If not, i'll just do what you did and rig up a different fan, or use the heatsink of the galaxy one. If it fits.

inisharu_d-img1200x696-1603440071srtljv19857.jpg
i think i had that kind of fan somewhere from the past pc modding days.can anyone give me a link of the card thats inside the taito. dont want to open it all up now. just will google for fan substitudes

thanks

how can i update the drivers?

you have a source for the good drivers?

Thanks for this! Once I get the cpu fan replaced, if I find the gpu fan too loud, I'm gonna give this a shot.

8. Navigate to the folder where the driver is c:\nvidia so
Type cd.. press enter
cd. press enter
cd.. press enter a few times to get back to c: then type
cd nvidia
You should now be in the c:\nvidia folder.
To make it just a little easier, couldn't you change all the cd commands to "cd\nvidia"?

8. Navigate to the folder where the driver is, c:\nvidia, so type:
cd\nvidia
You should now be in the c:\nvidia folder

Good work on this, guys. Because I didn't want to mess around with driver updates and bios modifications, I just spliced into the gpu fan wires and installed a small fan speed controller inside the ttx2 case. I turned the controller down and closed up the case. Loud gpu fan issue totally solved. It doesn't seem to increase the card temps too much on a moderate gaming session, but even if it shortens the life of the gpu, I'll just replace the card when necessary.

Nothing better than a quiet @Niko ttx2 multi!

Back