What's new

FrizzleFried

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if you folks had it on your agenda to release English (US or EU) versions of PuzzLoop2 and Mighty Pang? Thanks!

(1) I just realized it was AVALAUNCH and not AVALANCHE... doh...

(2) Does anyone from the AVALAUNCH team visit this forum? If not, anyone know who I should direct my questions to?

I've added one more game to the list of Japanese release I'd love to see released in English...

Puzz Loop2
Mighty! Pang
and Armored Warriors (currently only the Japanese version called Powered Gear is available)

Also, I assume there is no way to change the Japanese versions to present in english in the settings? Am I right in this assumption?

It was me who decrypted the three games you mentioned. I choose these versions because apparently the non Japanese versions of these games had been already worked out by Razoola. At the time I did them something like the CPS2 multi did not exist yet. So decisions were made based on different things than what would be considered today.

Recently I released three regional variations of a certain revision of DDSoM through Avalaunch. The revision decrypted by Razoola was the same, but I did my own decrypts because people at the AO forum were interested in the Euro release and it was intended to be kept compatible with the CPS2 multi. Since I already poured so much work on decrypting the Euro ROM, I decided to check why Razoola was avoiding working on the Euro release.

Turns out the original American ROM which originated his DDSoM phoenix fix (the one that leaked publically) in it's decrypted form isn't byte identical to the Japanese release by just five bytes. So, I suspect the reason why he picked certain game regions/revisions was simply because he could automate the decryption process and have a easy ride. Because the Euro revision had Japanese language removed and all free space on the rom were filled with French and German text, the code was re-aligned and that made automated decryption impossible for the Euro release. No alternate version of the European set with different encryption keys exist so you can't "XOR clash"* it against any other romset.

To sum this up, I was actively avoiding decrypt the same versions of games he already did to not be accused of stealing his work. It didn't work as he did still accuse Avalaunch roms of stealing fixes from him anyway. Which is pretty frustrating, because only I know how many hours I have poured on IDA disassembling and analyzing code flow in these games during the process of manually creating decryption masks.

*XOR clash = decryption trick which exploits properties of the encryption to map code vs data regions in an automated way. The map will later be used to poke holes on the xor table so data regions are not affected by the decryption process.

Does that mean you will be eventually tacking the EU or US versions of these games since you're being accused anyway?

I'm hoping to find an ENGLISH version... EU or US is fine...

:)

Thanks for your hard work BTW! I'm going to make sure to drop a few bucks in the avalaunch donation link.

L_oliveira is there anything we can do to help?

Currently I need help with the CPS1 to CPS2 conversion. The kind of help I need is new ideas.
Anything in specific? Were you able to get Punisher booting at all on real hardware?

One request I would have is Street Fighter Alpha 3 (980629) USA. On the other hand, I'd far rather see a Cadillacs & Dinosaurs conversion to CPS2.

I have a working blue Alpha 2 that I could send your way, I noticed that one is missing

Currently I need help with the CPS1 to CPS2 conversion. The kind of help I need is new ideas.
What's the current stumbling block? I've been eagerly following the progress on the AO thread and punisher was starting to look real good. I don't have much experience w CPS yet but CPS1-on-CPS2 is something I'm really interested in and willing to put in the time/effort to help get things going.

Sprite ordering. To make it work the sprite lists have to be drawn in backwards order. So, we need to analyse how the game process priority and mod it accordingly. I tried to reverse the whole sprites list during the copy but that caused problems, too.

Any chance to see a decrypted release of Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (Japan 960805) some day ?
There is currently no phoenix version of this release either.

Sprite ordering. To make it work the sprite lists have to be drawn in backwards order. So, we need to analyse how the game process priority and mod it accordingly. I tried to reverse the whole sprites list during the copy but that caused problems, too.
I imagine we would face the same problem with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs too?

In the AO thread you mentioned posting the work that had been done so far. Are you still thinking of doing this?

I'd love to take a look at it, but I fear the issue may be beyond my level of expertise.

Maybe it would be better to have a separate "CPS 1.5 on CPS2" thread for this discussion.

Back