What's new
I work on the premise that I have the NEOSD which has blown my mind. NOW show us what you can do. I always like to see competition in the market, ESPECIALLY when we talk about expensive boards.

Dont take this as a negative from me. I dont have rose tinted glasses, only for my love of playing video games :)
If the NeoSD blew your mind what will happen to you with DS multi ?! 8o :D

I hope so. But its vapour until its out. Any idea when I will be able to get my hands on one???? And thats not to take away what a feat of engineering making one of these is.

I work on the premise that I have the NEOSD which has blown my mind. NOW show us what you can do. I always like to see competition in the market, ESPECIALLY when we talk about expensive boards.

Dont take this as a negative from me. I dont have rose tinted glasses, only for my love of playing video games :)
I think you will be pleased with the differences. But if you don't mind, would love to hear an honest user review about the NeoSD.

Competition is good, but it looks like it might shape up like this:

200.webp

Now, the neosd got a false start of the gate trying to get ahead (like the kid above), but in the end still gets beat :)
Or you can see the video as being the game flashing times between the carts, the NeoSD gets left eating dust :D

But seriously though, you should write a detailed review describing your experiences with the NeoSD and we can come back to it when Darksoft releases his and you can compare the 2. Who knows how it turns out.

Last edited:

I think you will be pleased with the differences. But if you don't mind, would love to hear an honest user review about the NeoSD.
I think the review would go like: "It works fine, it loads the games, all of them play, it has a decent menu but not many nicer features than playing the games, it takes up to 3 minutes (+/- 10%) to load".

Is there anything else to say about it?

I think the review would go like: "It works fine, it loads the games, all of them play, it has a decent menu but not many nicer features than playing the games, it takes up to 3 minutes (+/- 10%) to load".
Is there anything else to say about it?
Depending on the MicroSD Card:
Magician Lord flashes in 0:19~0:25 seconds.
KOF2003 flashes in 2:49~2:55.

Link:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270020-The-OFFICIAL-Neosd-MicroSD-Card-thread

I think the review would go like: "It works fine, it loads the games, all of them play, it has a decent menu but not many nicer features than playing the games, it takes up to 3 minutes (+/- 10%) to load".Is there anything else to say about it?
Depending on the MicroSD Card:
Magician Lord flashes in 0:19~0:25 seconds.
KOF2003 flashes in 2:49~2:55.

Link:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?270020-The-OFFICIAL-Neosd-MicroSD-Card-thread
IIRC somewhere in that same thread it's said that the card does not make much difference, and the biggest difference is on the cart itself. Likely the chips it uses, AFAIK it's not completely known why some carts are faster than others.

OK. Fair comment. I will write up a review as I see the cartridge, and my experience. So far, the writing of code to flash is not a problem. If you are playing a game, then an extra couple of minutes is meh! How close are we to the cart getting into our hands? Apologies if this is somewhere on the site. I am a noob. Also thank you so far for not berating me for asking a question or telling you my experience...

I got into NeoGeo MVS last year, with a steep learning curve, but a satisfaction that I was getting more out of the system, than it was costing at the time to put in! Carts costing silly money were a painful reminder that the market is strong for retro arcade gaming, and the difficulty in affording something that may not have a long-playing life. You can always sell the cartridge, but what if I paid a premium for a fake!

That is when I found the multi all in 1 cartridges. I purchased the 161 in 1 but found that sometimes these were not the full games or something seemed glitched. I did though get a lot out of the cart as I could play many games only dreamed about… Happy days J.

I was aware of Darksoft and their cart in development, and then from out of nowhere came the TerraOnion NEOSD cartridge. As with all brand new devices that have a relatively small audience, I watched the first few purchasers with their issues get through the pain barrier. Different fixes for the plethora of platforms that you can plug a cartridge into have been tweaked and fixed. Multi MVS’s being an issue due to timing problems. Over three to four months the system started to become mature. The only nagging issue seemed to be the load times into flash. Now these are down to the flash programming itself, as I understand, and the speed that the chips can be programmed. Obsessive types got really down on the NEOSD cart with its (relatively!) long loading times, but once programmed a cart would boot instantly as if a proper cart. The Universe BIOS showed all games as correct CRC, without patching, and off we go! Just one more thing… A tool is offered to collect up your ROMS into the .neo format. This is straight forward, and quick. If you are old school a command line version works.

The interface is functional and works well to find and load a game that you wish to play. All standard options ala Krikzz style are available including favourites, which is great. Once a game is selected, the flashing begins. Dependant on size of game the load time could be seconds or minutes. To ME this is not an issue waiting and watching the flash process. To others maybe. When you have all of the official games to play including those that are unobtanium, I am in a happy place. My younger years playing NeoGeo in the arcade was back again. Do I have any negatives? Price maybe. Not cheap but cheap compared to some of the cartridges. I am also aware that there is strong backup from the company and that backup comes at a price. Dev teams are not cheap! I got the cart case FOC which was nice. It works, and allows easy access to the SD Card.

Of interest is the unique ID given to each NEOSD cart. This would allow future releases from devs to be sold coded to my particular device bypassing piracy issues. A great idea, and one I would hope to see on Darksofts device.

from what "future releases" locked to the NEOSD are you talking about? is there some company working on it or are we talking of potential homebrewers?

You also mention "strong company backup"? is there any support forum? the only place I have seen is neo-geo.com but it's hard to browse the neosd thread since if full of threatening messages from moderators, and bullying agressions to customers reporting issues, which is not really what I would call "strong company backup".

from what "future releases" locked to the NEOSD are you talking about? is there some company working on it or are we talking of potential homebrewers?

You also mention "strong company backup"? is there any support forum? the only place I have seen is neo-geo.com but it's hard to browse the neosd thread since if full of threatening messages from moderators, and bullying agressions to customers reporting issues, which is not really what I would call "strong company backup".
Hi. Future releases was for the potential of NG.DEV team (or any other) maybe releasing their roms to it. I dont hold any hope personally but still its an option available that kicks piracy.

Yeah I get you. I quit the forum myself and requested my account be removed. Bullying and aggression arent for me thanks. If you contact them via email they will contact you back. If you have an issue they are attentive. Thats one of the reasons I purchased one. Yes NEOSD have been a bit negative at times on the forums, but through their own volition lack of sleep, and working all hours is a cocktail to grumpiness. I will give everyone including Darksoft the benefit of the doubt when they are up against it. Not easy.

Hi. Future releases was for the potential of NG.DEV team (or any other) maybe releasing their roms to it.
NGDEV have been very clear that they will not release the roms for their games.

Hi. Future releases was for the potential of NG.DEV team (or any other) maybe releasing their roms to it. I dont hold any hope personally but still its an option available that kicks piracy.
Yeah I get you. I quit the forum myself and requested my account be removed. Bullying and aggression arent for me thanks. If you contact them via email they will contact you back. If you have an issue they are attentive. Thats one of the reasons I purchased one. Yes NEOSD have been a bit negative at times on the forums, but through their own volition lack of sleep, and working all hours is a cocktail to grumpiness. I will give everyone including Darksoft the benefit of the doubt when they are up against it. Not easy.
What is not easy? Giving me the benefit of the doubt? Hmm errr thanks... I guess.

There won't be any game from NG.Dev I'm afraid. I've been in touch with NG.DEV and they won't release any game for any multi. They are actually putting all kind of measure protections so they cant fit or be ported in a regular cart. It's their decision and we respect it.

P.S. Why you connect with an IP anonymizer?

635913467498321326-1923263173_watching.jpg

LOL relax relax the guy seem to have quite a strong feedback hsitory in eBay :P :P :P

Ip Anonymizer courtesy of my work. I dont run one at home which should show my IP now.

"What is not easy? Giving me the benefit of the doubt? Hmm errr thanks... I guess." - Good! Your card now has to uber f*****g good when released!!!!

By the way. I am collecting parts to build a CPS2 arcade project. It will contain the Darksoft card. Really looking forward to that. A nice card and a good price compared to the NEOSD.

Ip Anonymizer courtesy of my work. I dont run one at home which should show my IP now.

"What is not easy? Giving me the benefit of the doubt? Hmm errr thanks... I guess." - Good! Your card now has to uber f*****g good when released!!!!

By the way. I am collecting parts to build a CPS2 arcade project. It will contain the Darksoft card. Really looking forward to that. A nice card and a good price compared to the NEOSD.
:thumbup:

And dont forget to mention the multislot in your comparison, or the save state or the cool thumbs and screenshots or the 8 layers of the main PCB :)

So all drama aside, I feel both products are good for the community and they differ enough to both survive.

Ultimately, I think Darksoft's solution is going to be the most popular. Especially amongst new comers who aren't as familiar with the Neo library and want to switch games often.

Both will be held to high standards as with everything Neo.

Right now I only have 1 major grip with the NeoSD and thats the inaccurate PCM2 decryption. Which they know about, and I think is being worked on.

Back