What's new

totoroslayer

Beginner
Reaction score
Moderated by Mitsu:

IMPORTANT: Read BEFORE You Post

After a bit of discussion Darksoft and I have decided to open this thread back up. But we will have some guidelines:

Our rules mention that we support the sale of items by users as long as it doesn't conflict with one of our projects. So with the time, effort, and money we have put into our Neo project you can see why we would not want to advertise another Neo flash cart. And additionally with this cart appearing out of nowhere we are obviously thrown for a loop. But at the same time we do not want to appear to be censoring things just to keep the info away so we are opening it back up even though it is obvious many of the other cart's specs were directly ripped from our project. Draw your own conclusions about the 'other' cart but also remember the quality and service you receive from Darksoft and I.

This will be a technical information thread only. It will be heavily moderated. We remind you that we do not allow drama in our forums. If this thread gets out of hand it WILL be closed again and maybe even deleted.

After watching the videos we are confident that our final solution will be a better solution. ESPECIALLY when we compare loading times. Darksoft has designed his cart with the loading time issue towards the forefront of the project's specs.

Original message by Totoroslayer:

Just wanted clarification, this isn't Darksoft's product, is it? https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php

UPDATE: THIS IS NOT DS's UPCOMING BOARD. HOly crap. :) I had no intention of this becoming a thread to advocate this product or anything. I just found this at work the other day on my lunch break and wanted to make sure this wasn't an early preorder page for DS's board or anything like that (the similar price is what had me thinking it might be).

I'm the happy owner of the DS CPS2 board and having been burned by sketchy arcade products before, am more than willing to pay the price and time premium for a proper product with proper support (and I'd suggest anyone else to do so as well).

Last edited:
Darksoft is releasing an AES solution as well. All things being equal, I am giving my money to Darksoft. The man's works are a platform. Then he built a community around the products. The community thus far as been as valuable as the 4 or so Darksoft solutions I own or have access to.

I had never heard of this project before or the people involved. Looks nice but Darksoft has multiple proven products that ive been happy with. Ill be buying his so he can make even more cool stuff :)

I think its a shame that develpment if cool toys such as this is so fragmented, if knowledgable people got together the end product could be better overall? Rushing to be the first in this case certainly looks flawed, both the software menu and hardware design loading times, single game, look inferior to what DS is heading for... still lessons could be learnt from their endeavour?

I think its a shame that develpment if cool toys such as this is so fragmented, if knowledgable people got together the end product could be better overall? Rushing to be the first in this case certainly looks flawed, both the software menu and hardware design loading times, single game, look inferior to what DS is heading for... still lessons could be learnt from their endeavour?
Take a gander quickly at this; focus just on that market number. Then read this. It helps you understand why knowledgeable people don't get together to produce a better overall product. Greed.

Now read this. Here is a passage quoted from this article:

........professes not to care about profits, hardly knows where his sauces are sold, and probably leaves millions of dollars on the table every year. His dream, Tran tells Quartz, “was never to become a billionaire.” It is “to make enough fresh chili sauce so that everyone who wants Huy Fong can have it. Nothing more.”
That is why there is only one Darksoft. Takes a unique set of experiences, circumstances, skills, resources, temperament, and above all passion to do what he does. Sure, there are more talented programmers. Sure there are more talented electrical engineers. There are certainly many more fanatical video game junkies. But to put that all together, to have had experienced the arcade era, and finally to do most of this work, much of it as a labor of love, is something to be commended. All of his works in the area of the CPS3 have been completed as break-even or at a slight loss. His work on Atomiswave conversions, all have been produced at zero ROI. Same for the Naomi. The rest, all have been at thin margin or minor success (ST-V multi comes to mind). And by minor, I mean that it seems that just enough ST-V multi's were produced to meet the demand. No more, no less. These things don't go unnoticed. Even the novice user quickly comes to know the difference.

You can be first, but that virtue may make you still the Dreamcast to Sony's looming PS2 (sorry Dreamcast, I still love you). So if there is anything to be learned, firstly have Darksoft's passion. Secondly, have the input of the community incorporated into the design. This place here, Arcade-projects.com is a fine place to be. It is no mystery that the price point of this NeoSD effort is priced at $379. It is set that way simply to undercut Darksoft's effort. The difference is going to be Darksoft and the community that he has built around his efforts. As for the lessons learned, you can see these guys are wearing all the hats themselves: marketing, invoicing, shipping, etc. Logistics is something Darksoft already learned. Adding more weight to the discussion that Darksoft doesn't do this for the money; he has to give away margins to distributors so his talents are placed in areas where there is the most value.

The Neo Geo Multi will be Darksoft's Pieta. But beyond that, we have the F3, PGM, Deco multi's to look forward to. After all of that we might see another run of ST-V's for the guys that missed out. Who knows. All the while these other guys will be fussing over shipping issues, delays, logistics. They will probably burn out. Darksoft is going to be around a while.

I will waiting for the darksoft solution, loading time is sooooo loooooonnnnngggggg ! OMG

Hello everyone,

I need to clarify this. This is not the same product that I'm about to release and unfortunately doesn't have the same quality or care for users and the scene as I do.

I know the guy behind this, he is also from Spain.
http://www.infocif.es/ficha-empresa/terraonion-sl
He is using all the expectation that my cart has created to make quick business. Then he'll forget about you. He's done it in the past. He also goes by Serantes.
I'm pretty sure he's used my code for the ARM to control the microSD. Also the structure of flashes with buffers sounds familiar, doesn't it?
A pity people use your work like that.

The video shows a loading time of 20seconds which is impossible with that technology. After some questioning, looks like loading time suddenly went to 4 minutes and 30 seconds....and looks like only a bunch of games work with it.

I think I don't need to tell you that, but you know who is giving you the right support, who takes care of making sure that every kit works well and who guarantees that you will have constant updates of this product as long as needed.

I won't elaborate more. You know guys who I am, what I do and where to find me. I'll make sure that you have the BEST experience with MY cart as usual.

Thanks.

P.S. I will start taking preorders very soon.

He is using all the expectation that my cart has created to make quick business. Then he'll forget about you. He's done it in the past. He also goes by Serantes.
Do you have an example of this guy burning people previously?

Darksoft said:
I'm pretty sure he's used my code for the ARM to control the microSD.
How did he get your code?

He's done it in the past. He also goes by Serantes.
I've read about this guy a while back, if its the same guy, not really good things.
Your an 0ld Sk00l elite scener! Nuff said u rock!
Agree 1000%
How did he get your code?
He could have taken it from one Darksoft multi.

All I will say is that the NeoSD or whatever its called looks like a dud, $379EUR for that, from a guy I dont know, no background info given on who the team behind it is, misleading info on specs, etc...No support basis, there is just too many No with this one, so I say NO thank you.

I will stick with Darksoft on this, I have never been disappointed by his works, and dont even get me started on support. If there is anything wrong, Darksoft & Mitsu make it right 100%. You cant beat that.

Thread closed. All the info for this cart can be found in the abovementioned links.

IMPORTANT: Read BEFORE You Post

After a bit of discussion Darksoft and I have decided to open this thread back up. But we will have some guidelines:

Our rules mention that we support the sale of items by users as long as it doesn't conflict with one of our projects. So with the time, effort, and money we have put into our Neo project you can see why we would not want to advertise another Neo flash cart. And additionally with this cart appearing out of nowhere we are obviously thrown for a loop. But at the same time we do not want to appear to be censoring things just to keep the info away so we are opening it back up even though it is obvious many of the other cart's specs were directly ripped from our project. Draw your own conclusions about the 'other' cart but also remember the quality and service you receive from Darksoft and I.

This will be a technical information thread only. It will be heavily moderated. We remind you that we do not allow drama in our forums. If this thread gets out of hand it WILL be closed again and maybe even deleted.

After watching the videos we are confident that our final solution will be a better solution. ESPECIALLY when we compare loading times. Darksoft has designed his cart with the loading time issue towards the forefront of the project's specs.

After a brief look at it, and tbh I haven't followed the ds project closely, this one looks a bit cheaper to manufacture? No idea about the flash they use, but I presume it's some big ass parallell pieces. The FPGAs looks like LFXP2-5E-5QN208C, and probably a STM32F4 MCU of some kind.

It's a bit of a dick move to introduce it like this tho.

Back