What's new

Malenko

Professional
Reaction score
So I finally have everything bought sorted and tested to start my Naomi project cab. I was thinking about doing a LCD select screen but then I read about Pi force web. I'm still processing all the documentation but has anyone successfully set this up and have any pointers?

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=30248

https://github.com/dev-tty0/Piforce-Web

I like the idea of a wireless point and using my phone to load games instead of an LCD I have to open the cab to get to. Long term I plan to get a crazy taxi cab and having 2 netdimms, one for the upright cab and one for the sit down racer.

----------------------------------UPDATE EDIT---------------------------------------------
For those who want to just update their own python scripts:
A few things to note when messing with this. Its best to test the web
page on a laptop and to just go to a new URL to avoid any caching. All
URLs get directed to the pi-force page so you have an infinite number of
places to go to. like A.com B.com C.com A.net B.net ,etc When I first
started editing I was making changes but my phone was caching the
website so I was getting flustered that it looked like nothing was
changing.

sbin/piforce/write_web.py should be the file location.
Make sure you have a rom matching the name of the rom file you added to
the python script. The web tools do not verify contents so even an empty
text file renamed to romname.bin will work but if no rom is there it
wont add the game to the webpage.

You have to add the name in 2 places. The top of the list where you
define the variable game name, image, rom file name, etc and at the
bottom is the ordered list for the webpage. You can just put the game
name at the end of the list. This will stop them from from being
alphabetized but most people dont give a shit. I personally dont but
when I did the script I left them alphabetized.

So at the top you have this:
Name_of_Game_for_bottom = {'image':'image_for_webpage.jpg', 'name':'Text_for_webpage', 'rom':'name_of_rom.bin' }

and at the bottom you have this:

naomi1 = [game1, game2, name_of_game_for_bottom ]

Just make sure the name to the left is the same as the name at the
bottom. If you look at how I did my updates, I pretty much tried to keep
all the names the same to keep it easy. IT IS CASE SENSITIVE for
everything even the image file names, so image.Jpg is not the same as
image.jpg

SSID is Naomi WiFi password is segarocks

to log into the Pi username is root , password is raspberry

Last edited:
So I have the piforce webtools image installed, resized the partitions and everything boots just fine.
I put the card in my PC and copied over MvC2 USA and Rumble Fish, figured its be good to test a namoi game and an Atomiswave game. Niether one shows up in the webpage menu, just reset pi and shut down pi. Both commands work just fine so my phone is definitely connecting to the pi without issue.

is there a list of rom names somewhere that I need to adhere to for the piforce web tools to work?

Nice find/share Malenko, keep us posted how you make out. I will probably do the same, i want to use my phone to select/load the games, that way I dont have to open up the cab or run a long extension cable for the lcd.

Last edited:
other than figuring out the correct ROM names for the games, it was all pretty seamless. I have a pi3 for my stand up cab, but I'll probably use my spare original pi for the Naomi racing cab Im picking up soon. Now to figure out how to change the WiFi name so I can pick which one to connect to for when I have 2 running at once. Im taking a bunch of pictures so I can toss up an in progress project thread instead of just a finished pic like I did with my CPS2 cabinet.

Last edited:
I don't have a netdimm setup yet, but I already have a display/case waiting for it.
Any benefits of using a Pi3 over a Pi1 or 2?

Any benefits of using a Pi3 over a Pi1 or 2?
Pi1 uses SD cards Pi2/3 uses micro-SD cards so if you prefer one over the other that's something to keep in mind. Pi1 also has the SD card and the Composite video port sticking out the sides. I know a lot of people remove that composite video port because of this, and they do make low pro-file micro-SD card adapters so you don't have to worry about the card jutting out.

Pi3 has built-in Wi-Fi so if you want to use Web-tools like Malenko, then that will save you from having to buy a Wi-Fi dongle.

there's no real performance benefit to using one over any other, the only real features that make a difference for net-booting are those that I mentioned above.

other than figuring out the correct ROM names for the games, it was all pretty seamless. I have a pi3 for my stand up cab, but I'll probably use my spare original pi for the Naomi racing cab Im picking up soon. Now to figure out how to change the WiFi name so I can pick which one to connect to for when I have 2 running at once. Im taking a bunch of pictures so I can toss up an in progress project thread instead of just a finished pic like I did with my CPS2 cabinet.
If you want to change the WiFi name: http://elinux.org/RPI-Wireless-Hotspot

Got a good number of games loaded up. My main issue is even thought the Atomiswave carts match what I've found on line for names, only Metal Slug 6 shows up.

index.php

index.php

Got a good number of games loaded up. My main issue is even thought the Atomiswave carts match what I've found on line for names, only Metal Slug 6 shows up.
You'll need to identify the file in the web-tools where the ROM names are listed so that when new games are released you can add them to the list... since the creator of web-tools isn't going to magically know what the ROM name of the next to-be-released Atomiswave game is going to be.

this will also give you the names it expects for all the existing ROMs.

chances are the names listed in the original pi-force-tools mached up, but a number of games have been released since that app was made.

Wish I knew how to code this stuff, would be nice to get updated software for this.

Wish I knew how to code this stuff, would be nice to get updated software for this.
Im working on it, Im hoping to have it released before I leave the country on vacation. Its going to be the same tools just an updated game list and images.

got the list modifications started, going to get the list all done with all the releases, then add images
Added rumblefish2 and Sushi Bar

Attachments

• added1.PNG
    added1.PNG
    244 KB · Views: 136
  • added2.PNG
    added2.PNG
    160.6 KB · Views: 132
ok, Atomiswave2Naomi section is updated.

Python:
#atomswave
AnimalBasket = {'image':'anmlbskt.png', 'name':'AnimalBasket', 'rom':'gdrom_anmlbskt.bin' }
BassChallenge = {'image':'bass.jpg', 'name':'BassChallenge', 'rom':'basschallenge.bin' }
ClayChallenge = {'image':'clay.jpg', 'name':'ClayChallenge', 'rom':'claychallenge.bin' }
DirtyPigskin = {'image':'dirtypig.png', 'name':'DirtyPigskin', 'rom':'gdrom_dirtypigskin_v3.bin' }
DemolishFist = {'image':'demofist.png', 'name':'DemolishFist', 'rom':'demolishfist.bin' }
DolphinBlue = {'image':'dolphin.png', 'name':'DolphinBlue', 'rom':'dolphinblue.bin' }
ExtremeHunting = {'image':'xtrmhunt.png', 'name':'ExtremeHunting', 'rom':'extremehunting.bin' }
ExtremeHunting2 = {'image':'xtrmhnt2.png', 'name':'ExtremeHunting2', 'rom':'extremehunting.bin2' }
FasterthanSpeed = {'image':'ftspeed.png', 'name':'FasterthanSpeed', 'rom':'gdrom-ftspeed_v6.bin' }
HokutonoKenFOTNS = {'image':'fotns.png', 'name':'HokutonoKenFOTNS', 'rom':'FOTNS_Naomi2_Fixed.bin' }
GuiltyGearAsuka = {'image':'ggisuka.png', 'name':'GuiltyGearAsuka', 'rom':'GuiltyGearIsuka.bin' }
GuiltyGearX15 = {'image':'ggx15.png', 'name':'GuiltyGearX15', 'rom':'ggx15.bin' }
TheKingofFightersNeowave = {'image':'kofnw.png', 'name':'TheKingofFightersNeowave', 'rom':'KingOfFightersNeowave.bin' }
TheKingofFightersXI = {'image':'kofxi.png', 'name':'TheKingofFightersXI', 'rom':'gdrom_KOFXI_controles_JVS_OK_Video_OK_v4.bin' }
TheKingofFightersXIAF = {'image':'kofxiaf.png', 'name':'TheKingofFightersXIAF', 'rom':'kofxi all fighters.bin' }
KnightsofValour = {'image':'kov7sprt.png', 'name':'KnightsofValour', 'rom':'kov7spirits_Naomi2_Fixed.bin' }
MaximumSpeed = {'image':'maxspeed.png', 'name':'MaximumSpeed', 'rom':'gdrom_maxspeed_v4' }
MetalSlug6 = {'image':'mslug6.png', 'name':'MetalSlug6', 'rom':'mslug6.bin' }
NeoGeoBattleColiseum = {'image':'ngbc.png', 'name':'NeoGeoBattleColiseum', 'rom':'ngbc.bin' }
NetSelectKeibaVictoryFurlong = {'image':'vfurlong.png', 'name':'NetSelectKeibaVictoryFurlong', 'rom':'NetSelectKeibaVictoryFurlong.bin' }
RangerMission = {'image':'rangrmsn.png', 'name':'RangerMission', 'rom':'rangermission.bin' }
TheRumbleFish = {'image':'rumblef.png', 'name':'TheRumbleFish', 'rom':'TheRumbleFish.bin' }
TheRumbleFish2 = {'image':'rumblef2.png', 'name':'TheRumbleFish', 'rom':'TheRumbleFish2.bin' }
SalaryMan = {'image':'salmankt.png', 'name':'SalaryMan', 'rom':'gdrom_salmankt_JVS_OK_BIOS_OK_Video_OK.bin' }
SamuraiShodown6 = {'image':'samsptk.png', 'name':'SamuraiShodown6', 'rom':'SamuraiShowdownVI.bin' }
SportsShooting = {'image':'sprtshot.png', 'name':'SportsShooting', 'rom':'gdrom_sprtshot_v11.bin' }
SushiBar = {'img':'sushibar.png', 'name':'SushiBar', 'rom':'gdrom_Sushibar.bin' }
I know some of these aren't working yet, but I was trying to future proof it. There is no way to know what the released rom name will be, so I did the best I could. After adding the names to this section you also have to add them to the naomi1 = section to parse the list. Am I missing any?

Last edited:
"Wheel" images from hyperspin would likely work as a good source for game icons. That's what I used as a base when I made my ST-V Multi label.

"Wheel" images from hyperspin would likely work as a good source for game icons. That's what I used as a base when I made my ST-V Multi label.
Good call. I downloaded the wheel images, plugged in a few holes (Sushi Bar, Bass Challenge, Clay Challenge) and fixed the names up there in the code. I might go balls out and replace all the Naomi screen shots with hyperspin wheel images while Im at it.

Im fairly certain I got all the A2N games, I want to be sure there havent been a bunch of Naomi Releases missing from the list either. I only want to have to do this once :)

Back