What's new

Gondar

Beginner
Reaction score
I needed a test cabinet and since I have a couple of NUC-cabinets one of them had to be converted :)

I wanted a cabinet that could support JVS and Jamma. At least six buttons and all resolutions. This would allow me to test all systems and games.
It had to be easy to switch between vertical and horizontal. And I wanted the biggest screen possible.

Switching between horizontal and vertical in a standard NUC is a pain in the ass. For newer systems you could use HD-resolutions (Type X/X2 Lindbergh etc). So i decided to use a IPS flat screen mounted on a rotating arm. IPS has great viewing angle compared to a regular TFT screen. For lower resolutions I use a EGA to VGA converter. I will in the future use a scanline generator to get the screen a little more arcade like.

The bezel had to be modified a bit with a dremel, as the upper and lower part of the plastic front on the cabinet to accommodate for the bigger screen. I used wood and bondo to rebuild the bezel since I couldn't find a big flat screen in 4:3 :P . The result was however very good and I now have a great cabinet for testing just about anything. You can see the finished result in the last picture with a game in vertical mode :)

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 346
Since I converted it to a flat screen I was also able to trim the fat a bit. I made a backside out of wood and removed the big plastic one making it a tiny bit more sexy (or easier to move anyway).

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 324
Nice work, Magnus :thumbup: This is precisely what @monouchi and I was doing but abandoned for different reasons :whistling: Mono stayed all Taito and I just realized the NNC looked odd beside the NAC's. Is your NUC still upright or did you shrink it to a sit-down?

Very nice, this looks exactly like my Naomi HD project that I scrapped.
I used a 26" tft screen.

Later in my E3 HD project I used a 27" IPL screen.

Hello Jonas :)
Yes, I tried to find a 26" first. But then I thought what the hell... if it fits it fits ;) Seems hard to find a good 26" for a good price.

Hope to see you at the next GTI Bonanza. I have finally built Jamma cabs and JVS cabs for the next one. Hopefully I won't miss it next year. Working on a few projects to make the next one even better than this year (just the fact that I won't tell Ink to have it on a date I can't attend on should be a plus hehe) ;)

I must visit your Taito Station soon and check out your games :)

@Stompp: Still upright (all of them). I refuse to cut down a perfectly fine NUC. If I want a candy cab I buy a candy cab ;)

@Stompp: Still upright (all of them). I refuse to cut down a perfectly fine NUC. If I want a candy cab I buy a candy cab ;)
Wisely spoken. I only have candies so I was aiming for an NNC look but realizing the NNC's looked odd beside the NAC's I sold both my NNC's and abandoned the idea. I'll probably swap the MS-9 from one of my NAC's for a Tosh PF (like I had before). That'll probably be the closest I'll ever get to an HD cabinet :|

Yeah. Viewlix (and other HD cabinets) are really expensive, but they sure look great. I might build one in the future. But I just have to many other projects right now. :P ... also, space is becoming an issue really fast. ;)

Nice work, buddy. Really looking forward to the next Bonanza, JAMMA cabs are a much needed addition to Inker's place.

Since I converted it to a flat screen I was also able to trim the fat a bit. I made a backside out of wood and removed the big plastic one making it a tiny bit more sexy (or easier to move anyway).
Great Job! Really love the back side, sexy as hell.

Can you please post a picture of the cabinet from the back?

Best regards.

Very nice :thumbup: I'll quite possibly end up doing something similar one day.. Looks good!

what material is that? i know you said wood did you paint it?

Last edited:
It's laminated wood. I used to work as a carpenter (and now as a developer... life is full of changes) so I pretty much get material for free/dirt cheap from my old work. You usually use this material as the backside for kitchen cabinets :)

Back