What's new

freddiefiasco

Professional
Reaction score
I suck at documentation so this is as good as it gets from me.

Picked up half of a WMMT3 cab from a local merchant. Powered up, nothing on the CRT, plugged in a VGA monitor, monitor doesn't even light up. (No picture needed since nothing shows up). Just the CPU fan attached to the motherboard powered up. Namco N2 consoles are a modified version of a standard PC motherboard with a special BIOS split into two chips. More info here.

Did a complete teardown of the motherboard to assess the PC:
The only obvious damage was #3 and #5 on the motherboard.
N2_A.jpg
#3 - Popped capacitor
#5 - Some sort of dried up spill
#1, #2, #4 - Caps with a black mark on them. Not sure if these were marked by someone or if the cap produced these, i don't know of any caps that produce these so I'm just assuming.
Bad_Caps_No.jpg
Bad Capacitor Reading #4 / Good Capacitor Reading #4 Replacement (I didn't take pics of #1, #2, #3 so you get the idea):
Bad_Cap_4_Reading.jpg

The Ribbon cable on the JVS board also had liquid damage:
PCI_JVS_Liquid_Damage.jpg
All the parts:
N2_Parts2.jpg

All cleaned up:
N2_Cleaned.jpg

Plugged in without Hard Drive/Dongle Combo:
N2_GPU_Display1.jpg

Plugged in with Hard Drive/Dongle Combo:
N2_GPU_Display2.jpg

It works, I'm happy.

Oops, forgot to add total cost:
$2.15USD and 2 hours of work. 30 minutes account for soldering iron heat up time. 1.5 hours of desoldering and cleanup.

Attachments

• Liquid_Damage_2.jpg
    Liquid_Damage_2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 575
  • Liquid_Damage_1.jpg
    Liquid_Damage_1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 666
That's awesome you got it working! Thanks for sharing man.

That's awesome you got it working! Thanks for sharing man.
I know there's a TON of methods out there for preserving your copy so I won't repeat what's already been done. But since you have the ES1, I'll try to document my method of backing up MY N2 HDD and hopefully it will work for ES1 owners like you to either use a different HDD or restore to a working one in the future. It won't be for a while since I will be working next on restoring the cab the N2 came in first. :)

Yes! I was super excited once I saw that green light on my monitor. Once that lit up I just giggled. :)

Back