What's new
Alright @Asayuki, the trace from the Sync finger doesn't go far. It only goes to one to one of the resistors in the 2nd row of the array that I have boxed in yellow from my previous post.

Am I supposed to be testing for continuity or resistance?

Brown-ish things are capacitors -> test for resistance, after a short while you should measure "infinite".
Black things are resistors -> test for resistance and tell me what's written on it so I can tell what you are supposed to be reading.
Prefereably measure from and to farther away points rather than directly at the component; this way you also include the solder joint itself in the test. ;)

No, that's not necessary. You just need to test the parts connected to the signal you are tracing. Follow the signal through the resistor up to whatever IC it's connected to, which will probably be one of the two Alteras on the top left corner.

EDIT: The hope is that you find one of those small parts badly soldered, missing, out of spec or maybe a trace damage.

Ok, I don't know if I can pick this up. I have cooked a few boards with my feeble soldering skills. I don't want to do this with a KI board. Thanks @Asayuki for the pointers. Think I will get a pro to help on this one. KI is too important of a game for someone that isn't a Jedi yet.

With that said, paging @irepairsega. Ken do you think you can do anything with this board? I work about 15 minutes from you and can drop this off. Please let me know. Thanks!

Did you ever manage to get the video working again?

I have a KI2 board that works and plays fine but the video just is not as perfect as it should be. The video looks a little washed out at the bottom (it is hard to describe)
My video gnd jamma connector is burnt a bit and I am wondering if connecting the video gnd to jamma pin 1 would help
I am surprised the game plays at all with that burn on the board
I would like to fix the video but I am not sure where the video gnd is supposed to trace to
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ki2_damage_3.jpg
    ki2_damage_3.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
ouch,
if your loom is correct, that's a sign that you have bad ground wires.
your psu, monitor chassis and large metal parts should all be connected to the earth of the power cord.

My issue turned out to be a voltage thing. I have one KI board that is really sensitive to voltages, espesically the -5vdc rail.

I received the board like that
Sound worked after I reburned all 8 chips
Plays fine but video is a little off looking and is obviously not connected to GND
I am thinking of connecting it to jamma pin 1
Thoughts?

you could, i would prefer to clean the area and see what it did and what died myself - just for completeness.

I know that it is an inductor that is blown there but not sure what part to buy to replace or where the video gnd pad is supposed to trace to

use a meter to check resistance, if the other side of the inductor just goes to power-ground at the end-pads then we know.

Someone probably swapped the original monitor from the ki and didn’t add an iso transformer to the cab. I’ve seen several like this.

For testing, just jump that pin (video ground) on the edge to ground. Should clean up the video.

I attached video gnd to jamma pad 1 gnd but no difference in what I was seeing with the video
Here are a few screenshots
One is in motion of the game but u can see the video is just not what it should be
It looks very dark to me and it is off the the right for some reason
My MK 1-3 boards play and look perfect on this monitor

Attachments

• ki2-1 (2).jpg
    ki2-1 (2).jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 189
  • ki2-3 (2).jpg
    ki2-3 (2).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Well the clamp st and clamp sp settings seemed to fix the video
I have them set like this now:

clamp st = 1
clamp sp = 5

I still have an issue with the video to the right by about an inch - not sure what is up with that

Back