What's new

atrainn

Beginner
Reaction score
I posted this on ArcadeOtaku, but figure I should probably throw it on here instead. I installed my multiboard today and am having a ton of issues with audio. Everything else works fine. Basically the board is playing completely random audio in games. Occasionally it will play the right audio for a moment, but not very often. I have noticed in the test menu when testing sound it seems to play the right stuff.

I have a Rev3 board.

I saw some people say it's related to the PAL. I have tried both F and G pal. I have also tried soldering the jumper underneath the board, and lifting the pin and soldering it directly to the connector on the bottom of the big board (Pin 9 for G and pin 7 for F). None of those configurations seemed to do anything. I've removed and reseated the board about a million times, and no pins are bent or not inserted.

I have also verified the jumpers a similar number of times, with a multimeter. I've tried four different A boards and probably ten different micro SD cards. At this point I have no clue what it could be. Here's a video of it:

Did you try connecting the wire from the PAL directly to J17 on the multikit?

Yes, I have tried both connecting it straight to J17 by lifting the pin on the PAL, and running it from underneath the board to the CN5 C13. It doesn't make a difference with the audio.

Was the B board fully working prior to the install? I only ask because it sounds like an addressing issue. It also could be from a bad connection from B to A.

Was the B board fully working prior to the install? I only ask because it sounds like an addressing issue. It also could be from a bad connection from B to A.
As far as I know, yes. I just tried swapping some phoenix roms onto it and those seem to work just fine.

This a known issue and they are looking into a fix. There is another thread that dark and mits responded to about this on here. I had a recently delivered complete system sent to me with B board reset etc from darksoft himself that was just plug N play and is suffers from the same audio issue. They are trying to pin point the area that is distorting the audio.
Hmm, good to know. I had seen some people say stuff about audio issues on the ArcadeOtaku thread, but I only saw one other thread on here about messed up audio (aside from popping and crackling) and his turned out to be missing some pins. I might try to track down a rev 6 or 7 B board for the time being.

That may be worth a try. Not sure where my above response disappeared to. I'm using my mobile phone to post at the moment

Here are some pictures of the setup, with an F pal in it: http://imgur.com/a/PRkQx

I've checked the jumpers again, and they are definitely correct. I've used a multi meter every time I've checked them as well. But I might just try desoldering them completely and making sure they're all open then doing them again. Short of that, I haven't a clue what else to do.

Those look good. Can we see some pictures pf the jumpers themselves?

Whoops, sorry thought those were in the album. Here you go:

http://imgur.com/a/ehG5l

I've tested them all with a multimeter, but maybe I'm an idiot and am reading the chart wrong or something.

Ok. Those look good. Being as it's a Rev. 3 does there happen to be a wire running on the underside of you b-board?

Ok. Those look good. Being as it's a Rev. 3 does there happen to be a wire running on the underside of you b-board?
There was initially. It was the jumper wire for the PAL. It was the same exact thing you guys had as a step it the board prep video, going from Pin9 to CN5 C13. After I heard the messed up audio I removed it and opted for the connection to j17. When that didn't work, I tried an f pal with pin 7.

Is there anything else I should try? Did I get a bad kit or something? I tried disconnecting the reset wire, just in case, but that also did nothing. Also, just now in the process of checking the jumpers one of the long silver pins broke so I had to solder that directly to the board. Could I get a part number for those so I can order some backups?

Last edited:
Is there anything else I should try? Did I get a bad kit or something? I tried disconnecting the reset wire, just in case, but that also did nothing. Also, just now in the process of checking the jumpers one of the long silver pins broke so I had to solder that directly to the board. Could I get a part number for those so I can order some backups?
Where are you located?

Where are you located?
Baltimore Maryland

You can send it to me for testing. If it's defective we can replace it.

SOLUTION

Ok. I received this kit today and took a quick look at it during my short lunch break (Fridays are crazy in the restaurants). I turned it on and had the issue described above mostly. Though the sounds weren't wrong. Just MANY were completely missing.

So I took it to my bench and looked under my magnifying light. After a close inspection I found a solder bridge between two legs on U75. Most likely just a manufacturing defect. This is the same part I had to replace in a previous repair. It's a tiny logic gate. This one pertaining to a sound flash. I added a bit of flux and simply dragged the bridge away.

Plugged the pcb back in and all sounds are firing correctly.

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I have pretty much the same issue. Only difference is some sounds are missing (hadoukens, shoryukens), some sounds incorrect (hits are buzzers).

Same board rev (3). Using an F-PAL. Soldered wire in the back to pin 7. Also tried with the lifted leg on pin7 to J17. I'll check for the same solder bridge and report back.

Back