What's new
Don't have any experience with them but they look promising and nicely priced as well.

Also looking at the Smallcab Deluxe, anyone have experience with them?

Yes, I do have
If you plan to use some extra devices (UD-USB,...) they will probably have some issues with the +5V peaks

The retro or the smallcab? yeah I'm using UD-USBs, I suppose I can just rig up +5v from another point on the power supply?

Got a response from Retroelectronik. Bit difficult because it seems English isn't their first language... I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for it.

I asked:
Have you tried this supergun with CPS3? (Street Fighter 3 board).

I know you have the compatibility with buttons, but the video sync of the CPS3 can often cause issues.

Their response:
Hell,yes,I've been able to tryo to combine a CPS3 with my pro gamer recently during an exhibition,I've not found any issue. CPS3 is as far as I know a standard JAMMA PCB system with 15Khz CGA video
output so you shouldn't have any problem if the motherboard is perfectly
working.

I've tried to search on the web prior to respond you
but if've not found many information about such an issue. But
actually,the supergun only takes the video signal from the jamma,lowers
it and brings it directly to the SCART, so it doesn't modify the video
signal anyway. If the motherboard sends the right signal to the JAMMA
conn,you'll obtain a good signal from the scart.

Have a nice day,
Fabien

it's up to you, but the best way to not fry your UD-USB (or at least not have any issues) is to use the HAS
all the other superguns offer quiet the same functions (CPS1/2/3 compatibility, RGB output,...) but you don't have the same product (including parts) quality

the only negative point with the HAS is to get one :)

I would jump on the HAS but it's out of stock.

If anyone is interested, I will give a review of the retroelectronik one when it arrives, including a brave test with UD-USB Decoder!

If anyone is interested, I will give a review of the retroelectronik one when it arrives, including a brave test with UD-USB Decoder!
Interested for sure! That said, I like having options but I also want to jump on another HAS unit.

it's up to you, but the best way to not fry your UD-USB (or at least not have any issues) is to use the HAS
all the other superguns offer quiet the same functions (CPS1/2/3 compatibility, RGB output,...) but you don't have the same product (including parts) quality

the only negative point with the HAS is to get one :)
On an unrelated topic- why would there be issues with UD-USB? I just wired up a "cab" --if you can call it that-- and wired my own adapters from the UD-USB to both a sega JVS IO and jamma ...
Aren't JAMMA buttons simply open or short to ground?

In fact, you have just to pay attention to some voltage spikes with devices like Superguns. They can harm your decoders.

Here you can find more info about the issues : Link

aha- As I'm powering off ATX PSU, it's likely to be a bit more stable, but that's an interesting but viable point.
Thanks for the info!

Actually that thread describes an issue with the MAK Strike, where the design is such that 5V from the PSU to the 15 pin/USB Decoder is always on regardless of the power switch.

This is why you get the voltage spike!

As long as power is turned on at the same time all is good.

In the thread that Yippikaye linked to there is a hardware mod you can do to the MAK Strike which will fix the issue.

Just Arrived Super Miny Review

Had a really exhausting day at work, but then this arrived!
WP_20161110_16_02_49_Pro[1].jpg

It has a bunch of options, some cool ones are -5v generation and autofire, there's switches and screw terminals everywhere! Importantly they are labelled so it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on.

WP_20161110_16_14_13_Pro[1].jpg

A combination of the 12v led being red instead of blue like the others and the 12v voltmeter not working (it works fine with 5v) had me swapping other ATX power supplies in to see what the problem was. Turns out that's just the colour of the led, lol! No idea why the voltmeter 12v switch doesn't work. But more importantly....

WP_20161110_16_34_06_Pro[1].jpg

It seems to work, I haven't hooked up any controls (will use USB decoder eventually) but yeah, I'm hopeful.

Back