Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) Triple Power Supply (1 power supply for all 3 units, no wall wart)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) Triple Power Supply (1 power supply for all 3 units, no wall wart)

Why replace the power supplies?:
      So I've been piecing together what I consider to be the ultimate Sega Genesis (aka MegaDrive) setup. I'll make another thread on that later but one part of that was consolidating the Power Supplies.

If you have a Genesis and a Sega CD and a 32X you end up with 3 very large wall-wart style power supplies that take up a lot of space. They're really horribly inefficient too as I found they get hot to the touch even when the console isn't even powered on.

Does this really need to be spelled out? Having 3 large wall-wart supplies that take up 1-3 outlets a piece (due to their girth) and ineffecient to boot. Anyone who owns a Genesis/CD/32X setup has surely hated the power situation.

Sourcing a replacement supply:
      I've got a Model 1 Genesis Which uses a MX-1602 power supply rated for 9V at 1.2Amp
      ...a Model 2 Sega CD Which uses an MX-1602-1 power supply rated for 10V at 1.2Amp
      ...and a 32X Which uses an MX-2103 power supply rated for 10V at 0.85Amp

The Official Sega Power Supplies tend to go between 9V and 10V. Putting my meter on the official Sega 1602 and 1602-1 Power supplys I found it to be outputting a whopping 13+V. The voltage really doesn't matter though as the innards of these units have a power converter that drops the voltage down to the 5V necessary to run the actual main board.

10V supplies are fairly uncommon but 9V supplies are used quite a bit for a lot of electronics. So I wanted a 9V supply and I wanted something that could output at least 3.5Amps to cover the full rating of all the original supplies. And I also wanted a "Laptop Style" power supply that used a normal style wall plug and put the actual supply mid-cord so as to not occupy multiple outlets like a wall-wart.

Searching eBay I found a Verifone CPS10936-3F-R power supply for about $12 shipped This unit is a laptop style with the supply mic cord, it provides 9V at a very nice 4Amps and it even uses grounded wall plug with a standard socket on the supply just like what you'd find on a desktop PSU... PERFECT!

Building an Adapter harness:
      I could have lopped the end off of the Verifone power supply and split it 3 ways but I decided I wanted to leave the power supply unmodified and simply build an adapter harness that it could plug into. That way if the PSU ever does fail down the road, I can just buy another one and plug it in instead of having to perform the modification all over again.

Connector For the Genesis Model 1, Sega CD Model 1, or Sega CD Model 2:
      5.5mm outer diameter 2.1mm inner diameter male power connector (black tipped)
      Part Number 171-PA5521-E

Connector for the Genesis Model 2, Genesis Model 3, 32X, CDX, or JVC X'Eye:
      4.8mm outer diameter 1.7mm inner diameter male power connector (yellow tipped)
      Part Number ??? (I don't know I got them on ebay: ebay.com/itm/221090007359)

Connector for the Verifone power supply:
      5.5mm outer diameter 2.5mm inner diameter female power connector:
      Part Number 163-0303

I ordered the connectors from Mouser. I should note that the only reason I ordered the 32X connector from eBay is because I originally mis-measured and got the wrong size connector for the 32X from mouser.

For the cord I cut up an AC power cord with 18GA wire. I cut the wire into 4 lengths soldered on the connectors on the end of each length then soldered all the other ends together. I made some design decisions here. I tapped all of the wires together in one spot instead of daisy chaining because that would reduce the overall load on all the wires except the source wire from the power supply (which is unavoidable). I Also made sure that none of the wires are the same length so that if any two are unplugged they're less likely to rub up against each other and cause a short.

Most importantly Make sure the polarity is correct. I triple checked the polarity of the connectors after every step because each connector is different :cursing:
      The Model 1 Genesis and Model 2 Sega-CD have a negative center pin and a positive outer shroud.
      The 32X and the Verifone have a positive Center Pin and a Negative Outer Shroud

The polarity is always marked on the original power supplies but you have to be careful you don't get any thing backwards as you'll let the magic black smoke out your console if you do.

The Results:
      The final result is awesome... 1 normal sized plug in the wall powering all 3 devices, cheap and easy to source if necessary and it runs cool to the touch even when in use.

Right now I just have electrical tape wrapped around the join where all 8 wires come together I plan on 3D printing a small plastic shroud for this just to make it a bit more professional looking.
      Buy My 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Follow my projects: instagram | blog
      My PCB list: VAPS
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR

The post was edited 4 times, last by twistedsymphony ().

• Looking good. Retro game cave makes one of these but it seems only intermittently. I have one of theirs and it works great. Guy on the Atari age forums by the name TheGoldenAxe makes or made a homemade version from a GameCube psu too.

It's very nice, makes me kinda want to get rid of all wall warts
    • KalessinDB wrote:

Looking good. Retro game cave makes one of these but it seems only intermittently. I have one of theirs and it works great. Guy on the Atari age forums by the name TheGoldenAxe makes or made a homemade version from a GameCube psu too.

It's very nice, makes me kinda want to get rid of all wall warts
      when I first decided to do this I looked around figuring that someone else probably already sold a solution and found the one at Retro Game Cave. The shop was offline and I was a little disappointed that they still used a wall wart style supply so I decided to just build my own.
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Pretty cool. I have a Model 1 Genesis, Model 1 Sega CD, and 32X. I might just do this. I love this system but the power situation is a total bitch.

I also have a Model 2 CD but I prefer the model one. I bought one when the Sega CD was brand new for $300.
      For the sake of completeness:
      I believe the Model 1 Sega CD uses the same PSU connector as the Model 1 Genesis and the Model 2 Sega CD

The Model 2 Genesis and CDX I believe uses the same PSU connector as the 32X (though the CDX requires 1.5Amp as opposed to the .85 required by the 32X or the Model 2 Genesis)
    • Alex wrote:

...and while you're at it...
      use my RGB-Bypass-PCB for Mega Drive/Genesis to boost the picture qualtity to the max ^^

Download:
      dropbox.com/sh/38x089a0qey4jd1…Ibxvv0kOph39ie0LE8da?dl=1
      Is that needed on a Model 1 Genesis? I'm running RGB out right now and it looks great already. I did need to put an amp in my SNES and N64 but most Sega consoles seem to have good RGB output from the factory.

Do you have any comparison photos?
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

Is that needed on a Model 1 Genesis?
      It really depends on the revision of the board inside your console. There are some mid-lifecycle-pal-models that are okay out of the box, if you run Sonic you can tell from the title screen and marble-zone-stage if you have a jailbars-problem. Other symptoms are bleeding and a very bright and undersaturated image.
      If you have any of these the bypass is highly recommended because the result is just awesome and very noticable.

I have some pcb's left so if you like to try just let me know your shipping address via pm and let me know your model (easiest mod is on a pal machine with RF-kickout-install)
      I will happily send you one or two pcbs for free.

Images from a happy customer:
      circuit-board.de/forum/index.p…?postID=376036#post376036

Install MD1 RF-Kickout:
      picasaweb.google.com/115948745…uthuser=0&feat=directlink

(sorry to hijack this thread for this, I'll open another one on this topic later)
    • It's a very early non-TMSS model straypixels.tumblr.com/post/77…a-genesis-were-made-equal

I haven't experienced any color banding or other graphical problems but I do leave the 32X in there pretty much all the time.

I'm also using a Model 1 to Model 2 AV port converter that taps stereo Sound from the headphone port: retrogamingcables.co.uk/games-…nd?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistedsymphony ().

• Alex wrote:

yup, 32x is an image-enhancer... but not Everybody is willing to get one..
      I was probably in 9th grade when I got my 32X. The day it came out I caught a ride to the mall as soon as school was out to buy it. I also, bought Star Wars 32X. I was frustrated because it did not work correctly but after calling Sega it was explained to me that the cables included were for the Model 2 sega and I had to purchase a different cable set for my Model 1 genesis. WTF but ok. Once I did that it worked great and at the time Star Wars really amazed me. My favorite game for 32X is probably Virtua Racing though. It is the best home port of that game IMHO. I also, really enjoyed DOOM. I never played it much on PC so the 32X version got extensive play.

Honestly, most of my games I got for the system came when Sega was selling them with like 4 or 5 games after it didn't sell too well. My friend worked at Kay B Toys and people were returning them left and right. I didn't have any of the free games so he told me to open my shopping bag from another store and threw in five of the games a customer had just returned. I wasn't expecting that and he saw the look on my face. He said, "They'll never know. I have to box this back up and send it back. They probably won't even open it. Now close your bag before someone gets suspicious."
    • I have this...

http://retrodcpowered.com/

For my Genesis/SegaCD/32x combo, it can power all three devices (stress tested with Night Trap 32x/CD version) at the same time.
      The price was very reasonable, the only negative was shipping as it took a long time coming from Israel to Boston.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      XianXi: JNX Raiden
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (HAS - Special Edition)

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]

The post was edited 4 times, last by jassin000: Random spelling/etc ().

• jassin000 wrote:

I have this...

http://retrodcpowered.com/

For my Genesis/SegaCD/32x combo, it can power all three devices (stress tested with Night Trap 32x/CD version) at the same.
      The price was very reasonable, the only negative was shipping as it took a long time coming from Israel to Boston.
      nice piece of kit, looks like someone had the same idea I did. :)
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

looks like someone had the same idea I did
      It blows my mind Sega never thought to INCLUDE an adapter like this with the 32x!
      By this point, most Sega fans (also owning the SegaCD) are unable to use a common 2 plug wall outlet.

I guess the official solution from Sega was that wider spaced power strip with the word "S E G A" spelled out on it.

Also to comment on the video enhancement talk above...

I've also found that using the *RGBs from the 32x with the xRGB Mini looks better Vs. *RGBs directly from the Genesis (no 32x).

Genesis V1 "HD Grafix", SegaCD V2 "Clam-shell"

*RGBs = Modified SCART output... R/G/B 75ohm resistor(s) 220uf capacitor(s), Composite sync from LM1881 sync stripper (C-Video GEN/32X used as source).
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      XianXi: JNX Raiden
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (HAS - Special Edition)

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]

The post was edited 4 times, last by jassin000: Video ().

• That is awesome! :thumbsup: I may need to follow your lead as well. I currently have my Genesis/32X/SEGA CD occupying an entire double-sided power bar.

Speaking of the 32X ... my favourite game on it has to be Shadow Squadron. It is a nice flat shaded 3D Space Shooter.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SEGASHIRO ().