What's new

Mikanbox

Student
Reaction score
Welp this is a continuation Of my Ideas Thread. (delete or archive old thread if needed)
"Wooden City" Candy cabinet idea

So uhhh Starting to make it now xD

Recap of important details:
Easy to rotate monitor
made of wood
sitdown
Designed mainly for Naomi
Vertical Slide out PCB mount

I'll sorta build it, And when its complete I'll Sorta get my stuff better documented in case anyone wants to replicate

Concept Art
P2UB995.png

pO0CDPv.png

Note clipping already fixed. just too lazy to make a new picture
kqbWZk0.png

Day 1 Stuff
Bf3phMK.png

Oz02mof.jpg

Anyone know a good shop for a dustplate that goes onto a ls-56 (Shaft cover removed*)?

"The dust washer from a Sanwa JLF stick is the perfect size." (thanks nem!)

any idea where to find these for sale? the ones are usually on sale come with a shaft cover, and I assume that's too wide...

The sanwa jl pp1 dustwasher seems to be the correct one? but I can't seem to find any suppliers in the usa x.x

Also making little progress, can only work on sunny days :(

Decided to change more stuff in the design....
Made unit a tiny bit wider so 2 player won't be so cramped
Changed some cut angles to be easier to cut

side note... I should really get a table saw :S

6Kr7gOT.jpg

any idea where to find these for sale? the ones are usually on sale come with a shaft cover, and I assume that's too wide...
The sanwa jl pp1 dustwasher seems to be the correct one? but I can't seem to find any suppliers in the usa x.x
That's right, the dust washer that is included with the shaft cover has a larger hole.

The JLF sticks come with two dust washers as new. One is supposed to be put under the panel, however, I don't think many actually do this, so I'm sure people have spares if you ask around.

wow amazing Mikanbox!!!

how much did the wood cost?

and what kind of saw do you use?

Uh... Not trying to be a negative nancy over here, but... You used what appears to be plywood for the wall construction.
Woody cabs do contain plywood, commonly on things like the bottom panels or internal panels.
The sides/external pieces however are made from high density MDF, when you go to prime/paint this... You'll understand why.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were plenty of plywood cabs made in the past but many had some type of laminate applied to the sides.

Uh... Not trying to be a negative nancy over here, but... You used what appears to be plywood for the wall construction.
Woody cabs do contain plywood, commonly on things like the bottom panels or internal panels.
The sides/external pieces however are made from high density MDF, when you go to prime/paint this... You'll understand why.
I've worked with wood, plywood and fiberboard for painting before, And got to know a good bit about all 3 of 'em

But for this project I wanted something a bit more water resistant and act as a strong support to "keep everything together", So I chose a higher quality plywood.

As per cons, I'll make sure to woodputty the edges then Seal it up before I do a nice paint job on it. (else maybe stain, Depends how I'm feeling when I get there)

looks great what size screen you going with? Have you thought about trying to rig it to rotate easier? I've always wanted to design a better mount and rotational structure for cabinets.

wow amazing Mikanbox!!!

how much did the wood cost?

and what kind of saw do you use?
about 75$.
and I'm using these saws:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290071
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/jig-saws/32-amp-variable-speed-jig-saw-69436.html

even with the 1 hour of free time I got per day, Looks like its slowly coming together :3

Here's me test fitting the back panel (I'd give it a C-. Prob gonna re cut)
Thanks!!

Making good progress. Working full time and barely any sunny days.
Control panel is mostly cut out.
Monitor Holder is taking shape. (atm. 4 second Tate!)
g6vWXjv.jpg

utDzVpj.jpg

Liking the design of this, Made a few bar tops but a woody candy is cool

This is awesome! I'm going to have to make something similar some day and put my underutilized CNC machine to work.

Finished the Monitor mounting system. Now the monitor just Drops in (vertical or horizontal) Right in to its correct angle and position almost immediately.

Got control panel stuff cut and fitted.

Gotta cut Wiring holes when i get time.... and I should get the sliding Pcb mount working next time.
(dry run soon!.... Maybe?)

cqunniL.jpg

Boing Boing

Woot, Dry run was a success, Had a great xmas party :3

I'll prob take a small break on woodworking. Gonna wait for better weather.....

Got all the stuff sorta placed where i sorta want em
got temp bezel made (gotta make a acrylic one later....)
Jamma and jvs Ready. (only jvs stuff pictured)

random issues:
My initial speaker selection was too stronk. So now i gotta redesign cuz imma switching to sheilded speakers :'3
While getting Jamma to work, I randomly increased 5v from 5.03v to 5.04v. Naomi totally didn't like this and had to change it back xD

Heres some images =3=

6QRL8Yc.jpg

6XRptlr.jpg

wDVLeGv.jpg

vyZHvMw.jpg

Games
X8oTHT3.jpg

Back