What's new

Malenko

Professional
Reaction score
There's a hack for King Of Fighters XI to unlock all fighters, can the same be done for MvC2?

I think he probably already knows that but wants a modified ROM that doesn't require the unlock code.

yeah I'm aware of the codes, I just don't want to be bothered with then. I change games a lot, so when u go back to mvc2 I can't just hop in and start playing.

I was hoping that mvc2, project justice,etc could all be hacked. Cause I'm greedy like that :)

but wants a modified ROM that doesn't require the unlock code
Likely true, but a modified ROM would only benefit NetDIMM'ers... My Naomi/house is cart country baby! ;)

Accept no substitutes, destroy all DIMMs, praise Joerg, amen.
lpC2GcNl9IOpK14BTxla_VXNrE_unqwaEg3mAzBAdOVEDvZICJSYdxv7nWvcsHcykpYSBm_zbvkL5VQ=w1440-h900-rw-no

I change games a lot, so when u go back to mvc2 I can't just hop in and start playing
Huh, mine seems to save between power cycles/game changes... I just assumed everyones did, your mobo battery still good?

A modified ROM would be excellent for both MvC2 and Rival Schools 2! I am actually surprised it hasn't been done yet, at least for MvC2 considering how popular and still relevant that game is.

Accept no substitutes, destroy all DIMMs, praise Joerg, amen.
Pls no.

Also re: OP's question, it's been asked many times, but I don't think it's ever been accomplished. I think the best I've seen (aside from dedicating a mobo to it, or unlock codes) is an emulator save state or something. It would be interesting to see done but I would guess it would take a lot of work.

I think all you have to do is find the starting value of either the level or exp , I just have no idea where to start. Good news I finished updating the write_web.py and the images for the piforceweb now to find out how to remake the IMG file and share.

If you're lucky it's that easy but who knows how it's coded. It could check for the games run time stored on the motherboard eeprom at boot, in which case you may have to figure out the coding of any check(s) or how to actually set that value rather than have it be read from a location outside the game code itself. It's all speculation of course, until someone figures out how to dig in the code.

its all has been figured out far ago. games store all its work data in 32KB SRAM (battery backuped) on NAOMI motherboard. high scores, settings, unlockables, play stats etc - all is there.

so, perhaps it worth to solve problem in general insted of hacking all the games ?

I mean make tool for backup SRAM contents before uploading new game, and restoring it back later ?
existent triforcetools.py have functions for this - HOST_Read4 HOST_Poke4
so someone have to implement routines which will read/write SRAM area (0xA0200000 - 0xA0207FFF) using that functions

I mean make tool for backup SRAM contents before uploading new game, and restoring it back later ?
so someone have to implement routines which will read/write SRAM area (0xA0200000 - 0xA0207FFF) using that functions
WHAAAAT!? Are you suggesting the tools might already nearly be in place for saving and uploading the saved data?

If we could get that figured out and documented, it would be HUGE! I know some people just keep one game booted up into their cab and have a working battery backup and avoid loading up any other games just so they won't lose high scores.

Being able to save and load those back up would be so awesome. I always just dismiss the concept of high scores since I don't have battery backup and I load up different games all the time.

WHAAAAT!? Are you suggesting the tools might already nearly be in place for saving and uploading the saved data?
I'm not suggesting, I'm pretty sure. all work already was done by tmbinc back in 2009, in process of reverse engineering DIMM firmware(s). people just too blind & stupid to read triforcetools.py/naomi_boot.py files they use to upload games.

I'm not suggesting, I'm pretty sure. all work already was done by tmbinc back in 2009, in process of reverse engineering DIMM firmware(s). people just too blind & stupid to read triforcetools.py/naomi_boot.py files they use to upload games.
I'll give it a look. Thanks for the info. To be fair, I personally use transfergame.exe, and don't see any such options in it. :P

its all has been figured out far ago. games store all its work data in 32KB SRAM (battery backuped) on NAOMI motherboard. high scores, settings, unlockables, play stats etc - all is there.

so, perhaps it worth to solve problem in general insted of hacking all the games ?

I thought about this last night after digging in MVC2 itself; you are right, it would be much easier to go after the SRAM itself.

looks like the SRAM thread stalled, anyone smert enough to hack the MvC2 image like they did the KOF image to unlock all fighters?

here is people who can do this, but not interested in wasting his spare time for hacking this game, because someone else too lazy to enter unlock codes ;)

AW KOF is totally different story, there is timed unlock, and iirc some of char(s) can be enabled only using hacks.

here is people who can do this, but not interested in wasting his spare time for hacking this game, because someone else too lazy to enter unlock codes ;)

AW KOF is totally different story, there is timed unlock, and iirc some of char(s) can be enabled only using hacks.
Despite buying a new battery, and leaving my cab on for like 30 hours in a row, I lose unlocks everytime I load a different game. Lazy and annoyed arent the same thing :) If I had it my way I'd unlock them naturally, but I cant do that every single time I netboot MVC2. Tried it on both of my NAOMI mobos and both NetDIMMs, same results.

bad English, sorry, "annoyed" more correct word here.
but anyway - entering codes is single minute task, while disassembling the game and researching how unlock system works and how to enable them permanently - from few hours of work in best case upto whole weekend in worst case. quite lot of time, eh ? )

Over a long enough time line:

single minute task x done every single boot x number of people booting the game > time spent editing the game to enable all characters.

If I knew how to do it, I'd give it a go but its way over my head.

Back