What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I was hopeful, but in the end it seems neither of my Sony PVMs (20M4U, 14M2MDU) can handle running Mortal Kombat through my HAS supergun. The 20M4U is close, but the screen just scrolls and scrolls. Maybe it's just my PVMs, and another model can handle this refresh rate?

Unless I'm missing something, I'm on the hunt for a small CRT (14-19") that can handle the ~54hz running out of this board. I also only use these monitors + supergun, no cab, so I'd like to find something with a chassis so I can stack it on top of my 20" and rotate it for vertical games. Any recommendations?

What you need is the L5 series (14L5 or 20L5 it never came any bigger or smaller) because its sync range is 15khz~45khz, aka 240p~1080p.
The only thing this CRT can't display is 4K! 8o

*Be aware* The L5 still requires all sync be composited to display correctly, you can't go directly from the VGA out port of a PC into the CRT (unless the video card supports the option to composite the sync in software). Simply bridging or mixing h-sync and V-sync can be dangerous for the display.
A simple/cheap Extron can accomplish this for you, here is a picture of mine that I used to feed a composited sync into the xRGB mini (yes it can scale 640x480 to 1920x1080 too).

I1Amoa601D3Ru_yXC9rUh7Jhhc1oij6IdiNIAvjfkooxJJ_iZ7tPQrhyKZ8wSOmUTEdvcpzQwYGbQA=w1440-h900-rw-no

Last edited by a moderator:
The L5 is what I would recommend also.. It is 20", lighter than the BVMs, can setup two RGB input, one build in And an external RGB card.. Last time I checked, the 5L can only go up to 1080i.. But, I have not tried 1080p.

Thanks gents. Looks like I'm (back) on the hunt for an L5 then! Jassin thanks for the detail on sync -- I don't plan on using any signal on this other than the SCART -> RGB (bnc connectors) that I'm using out of the HAS supergun. I should be fine then yeah?

Last time I checked, the 5L can only go up to 1080i.. But, I have not tried 1080p.
Oh you know I think this is actually correct... I only did 720p and 1080i myself (original Xbox hooked up via Component) but I just assumed 1080p worked.

I should be fine then yeah?
Yup, one 8pin mini-din to 4 wire (Red/Green/Blue/Sync) BNC should do you just fine coming off the HAS.

I loved my 14L5, honestly I wouldn't have sold it if it was the 20" version.
I felt 14" was just too small, esp after being spoiled by the xRGB mini on the 50" Sony LCD. ;)

I would even go as far as to say I believe its the 2nd best CRT monitor ever made.
The first being the BVM L5 because it has the 800 line tube.

Nice. Thanks. Now I just need to move to Los Angeles where all the listings always pop up!

Just a follow up in case anyone finds this thread. My 20M4U had an extra set of menus (service mode?) that allowed me to adjust vhold down just a few units, and that fixed my issue. To get into the service menu it was "Menu" to get into the regular menu, then "enter" + "degauss" at the same time. Degauss (x2) saves, Blue-Only sets back to read-mode. Enter+Degauss gets you back out of the service mode.

One of these days I will find an L5

Back