OSSC Initial Impressions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OSSC Initial Impressions

While the NES Classic edition hype is in full effect, I thought now would be a good time to talk about the OSSC...
      What it can offer in terms of quality for our beloved classic/real NES console and how I feel it compares to the xRGB Mini peppered throughout.

Keep in mind I've titled this post "initial impressions" as I've only been working with the OSSC for about 48 hours total now.

Overview:

As you can see from the above image, I have the NES-101 (aka Toploader) console with eTim's RGB/PPU kit installed.
      This is connected to the OSSC via 8pin-mini-din to SCART cable.
      Audio is output via 3.5mm jack to external speakers (not pictured) and video is output via DVI-2-HDMI adapter.

OSSC Options:

The choice of many different (SCART, Component, VGA) input options is a real nice touch here.
      Compare with the xRGB Mini that requires all VGA input (for example) contain a composited sync and be fed via 8-pin mini-din.
      Naturally for NES I'm not using VGA, I just wanted to mention it as it will save a person from having to do this wackiness...

The actual scaler video/options seem basic/barebones when compared with the very adjustable/highly tweakable xRGB.
      The end result however is something that's easier to setup and easier to work with over all.

Audio on the OSSC is the one area where I feel the device clearly falls behind the Framemeister.
      While 3.5mm is common, less common today is TV's that accept this input as a auxiliary when also using a HDMI.
      The best bet to solve this problem is external speakers, again in today's livingroom most external soundbars use TOSLINK cable.

Image Quality:

Above a crop from the first image, I'm trying to show just how fantastic a job the OSSC is performing scaling...
      NO still picture is going to do this justice unfortunately, the colors are bright, the blacks are deep and scanlines are highly configurable!

Is it better quality when compared with the xRGB? In a single word, yes.
      The full disclosure truth, this question comes down more to preference, lag, and price point.

If it wasn't for the audio issue, I would name the OSSC the undisputed new king of scalers.
      Because of the audio, I think each device offers something equally important, but contrastly different...
      Depending on your setup, I can't really make a blanket recommendation either way.

In closing, if you can afford the OSSC, if you can find the OSSC, get the OSSC!
      Don't rush out to replace that Framemeister tho, its still a fantastic device.. HAVE BOTH! :D
      Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3-β, MVS, S16-β
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• The ossc is awesome. Wish I could merge the Xrgb mini and the ossc to make one unit.

Wanted: Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Deathsmiles, War of Aero
      13/14" TriSync Tube/Chassis, Vewlix Shipping Brackets
      If you have any of these for sale/trade let me know please and lets make a deal :thumbup:
    • I got my OSSC yesterday.. I have not tried it out.. My understanding from Fudoh (check spelling) is that the OSSC paired with a DVDO (it adds 9ms of lag) is a great combo.. I purchased a DVDO a while back but with all my crap, I am not sure where that thing is.. The audio was one of the complains from the community, everyone, me included wanted HDMI out with the audio but due to HDMI not being free or needing licensing that was not an option.. Also my understanding is that the unit output to 720p and not to 1080p like the mini. I am looking forward to trying this little guy out:).. Thanks for the write up.
      The Future Is Now
    • Derick2k wrote:

Wish I could merge the Xrgb mini and the ossc to make one unit.
      I feel the same way...

IF I could have the scaler/scanline options, VGA input option and low lag of the OSSC.
      Plus the audio over HDMI, 8pin mini-din RGBs input (I hate SCART heads) and compact/highly polished design of the xRGB.

Now that would be the ultimate device!

jugu wrote:

I just received my unit yesterday. I'm going to test it out in my Vewlix cab.
      As I was setting up the OSSC I couldn't help but think... Damn this thing is perfect for a Vewlix cab!
      Vewlix handles audio separately via 3.5mm jack, its LCD had DVI input (also not 1080p) and you've got the AC plug inside to power it.

For my Diamond I'm going to forgo another official JAMMA kit and build a solution with a HAS + OSSC.

SEGASHIRO wrote:

The vertical scanline option for Yoko shmups is kind of awesome
      I didn't use this option, but it definitely stood out when poking around.
      It really feels like the OSSC was a device designed by gamers for gamers, containing features that only gamers want.

The Framemeister by comparison feels highly polished, albeit with clunky options that don't seem well thought out for its primary use.
      Built by engineers for a target group they do not identify with/actually understand.
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
    • jugu wrote:

I just received my unit yesterday. I'm going to test it out in my Vewlix cab.
      I just did, and it's pretty epic! DVI directly into the LCD, 3.5mm directly into the cab amp.

Because I was asked before, and this is the first time I've had the back hatch off since receiving this cab...

The post was edited 5 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Continued Impressions:

I was interested to try SNES with the OSSC, some users are reporting problems with some displays? :thumbsup:

I had to clear/reset the previous save, but SNES was no problem at all.
      My console details; 1-CHIP with the RGB bypass amp installed and SD2SNES cart.

Attempting to capture that most notorious of SNES motion blurs/artifacting...
      Mario jumping/falling against white background, the LCD/OSSC combo is doing a fantastic job! :love:

Now this is where things get strange...

My "HD Grafix" Genesis/SegaCD2 combo details; RGB bypass amp installed with stereo audio-out mod and Mega Everdrive cart.
      That was the best image I could pull off, which admittedly looks fantastic...

What you are not seeing, when the screen totally refreshes (black to image).
      Which happens often in Sonic 2 BTW, entering exiting bonus pipe stages for example.
      The image comes back with noises all over it, like really super duper noisy pixels! :huh:

If I reset the OSSC and reconfigure it, the image comes back looking nice again.
      This will only last until the next total (black to image) refresh. ?(

Onward!

Ok, so this looks fantastic... PC Engine Core Grafix RGB amp installed with CDROM2 "briefcase" and Turbo Everdrive v2.
      Just like the Genesis above however, it has a "unique" issue.

In some stages (seems to be stages that scroll top to bottom a lot?) the image will just knockout (solid black screen).
      I've had some success by playing with the analog LPF, but it always seems to happen eventually regardless. X/

I think it's important to mention that the xRGB mini functions with all these consoles (esp PC Engine) perfectly.
      My Genesis has always been "noisy" which lead to the install of the RGB bypass amp in the first place.
      On the Framemeister this noisy effect is only visible on some solid colors (a known issue of the device), on OSSC it's EVERYWHERE! :thumbdown:

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• I have been playing with the OSSC all afternoon; I am very impressed by this little guy.. I am not ready to leave behind my CRT but if for any reason I have to leave behind my CRTs, it is good to know that I now have a good option.. I am a CRT 100% guy but the OSSC is quite good.. Since I am not used to playing NES on an LCD I was kid of "hummmm that is different" but the more I play and see the new style on the LCD the more I "like" it or get use to it..a very cool peace of tech.. Now I can put the OSSC in my Vewlix and play Naomi\Atomishwave and those others TypeX2 games that have sprite:).
      The Future Is Now
    • I think I solved some of my issues with Genesis and OSSC...
      When I installed the RGB bypass board I also included a internal LM1881 sync stripper.
      The OSSC isn't happy when you attempt to strip first, it appears to be much more stable in regard to image quality after screen blank.
    • OK, I'm going to ask a sacrilegious question: Assuming one were going to use a cheap consumer model TV, would OSSC yield passable results for NAOMI, Chihiro, and Triforce? Is OSSC confirmed working with these for VGA to HDMI?

I'm slowly piecing together a 2nd driving cab and I'm going to at least initially use a cheap 32" LCD TV. Lag isn't so much a concern for me in drivers, but I'd want a decent picture and 4:3 aspect ratio maintained.

Edit: Audio is a non-issue in my application as audio will be fed directly into separate amp for cabbinet speakers.
    • winteriscoming wrote:

OK, I'm going to ask a sacrilegious question: Assuming one were going to use a cheap consumer model TV, would OSSC yield passable results for NAOMI, Chihiro, and Triforce? Is OSSC confirmed working with these for VGA to HDMI?
      Due to the way it works the OSSC is not compatible with all TVs (my SONYs for example) but works perfectly on my EIZO PC Monitor. In other word, you will need to find a compatibility list.
      The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
    • rtw wrote:

Due to the way it works the OSSC is not compatible with all TVs
      The Taito Diamond monitor functions just like a PC monitor with DVI, it's been good with everything so far.
      I would say PC monitor is the way to go with these devices thanks to a wider sync range.

Now that Genesis is better (LM1881 removed) I need to figure out what's going on with PC Engine/TG16.
    • I'm well past the "Initial Impressions" phase of the OSSC now, I wanted to update/necro-bump this post anyway...
      The one thing I had not tested was Arcade PCBs/gear, sure I checked out all the major consoles, but ZERO boards.

One reason for this was my supergun needed to be adapted, I discovered the OSSC don't like LM1881 based sync strippers (like my SG uses).
      So I simply bypassed it (easier to keep in place for later) and replace with a 1kohm resistor (on sync, 220ohm on R/G/B lines).

OMG Street Fighter III 3RD Strike (Darksoft SuperBIOS CPS3) running in line triple 4:3 mode (0.75 firmware) looks beyond AMAZING!!!1

The post was edited 3 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Nice J :thumbup: I need to pick up another OSSC.

You need to keep a log of what works best and how with consoles and boards. Taito vs OSSC Scaler, etc... I always look forward to your updates on this topic as I will be doing similar setups with my vewlixs' as you have.

I think this is the way to go as crt candy cabs are getting a little harder to source; as well as of course quality crt/chassis.

I do hope that some new display technology emerges at some point that rivals or beats crts and we can retrofit them into all cabs that would otherwise be parted/trashed because of the dead displays.

Wanted: Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Deathsmiles, War of Aero
      13/14" TriSync Tube/Chassis, Vewlix Shipping Brackets
      If you have any of these for sale/trade let me know please and lets make a deal :thumbup: