What's new

beast1x5

Professional
Reaction score
I know Niko has made the awesome taito type X2 multi however im curious to know if anyone has made something similar for the taito type X? I purchased one from arcade mod bios but various games don't work and there may be issues with the hard drive itself (courtesy of horrible care during the shipping process). and of course i'd like an interface similar to niko's simply because it looks awesome

I've planned for awhile now to create a regular Type X multi, but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe towards the end of the year I'll put something together.

Dude I totally look forward to it!! , I just really wanna play TGM 3 on my TTX mobo without the error messages popping up or the roms not even working except for gigawing generations

my type x+ should arrive in the UK next week so provided customs don't sit on it too long I should have it in time for Xmas. Pity there's no hdd with it so I can't even test it beyond checking if it posts

Bumping to see if @Niko is still considering this. I know the X2 already has the X some of the games running. But would still be neat to have a multi for this system and not tied to Western Digital drives.

Clone Game drive of x1 working game
Take niko multi files,
Change shell application to nikos muti
copy games to game folder
profit?

Clone Game drive of x1 working game
Take niko multi files,
Change shell application to nikos muti
copy games to game folder
profit?
Pretty much exactly this.

Its just one of those things thats taken a back seat due to my limited free time at the moment.

I'll give these steps a try. No need to fear the battery dying with this method? It would still boot? No need for the USB dongle?

I'll give these steps a try. No need to fear the battery dying with this method? It would still boot? No need for the USB dongle?
Yea shouldnt need battery or USB dongle.

Problem I have is the only original TTX HDD I have just sits there making a ticking noise (its dead as a dodo). I have the MAME 194 CHD set but so far I've got nowhere getting it working again...

So I have a dead Castle Shig-III HDD + Dongle and a TTX with a replacement ATI 9600SE video card (as the original was knackered) I'd like to resurrect.

Well your first move should be to find a Type X1 drive that is functional and clone it (should keep the image handy as well because it really sucks to lose your base Windows Embedded setup) to a new drive. I don't think they do anything too wild on X1 drives security-wise however I haven't looked so no promises there but once cloned if the new drive is able to boot XP Embedded and then end up crashing while trying to launch the game without a dongle/battery then you're good to go.

Once done you will need to grab the typexmulti folder from Niko's image on the C: drive

Keep the clone drive attached to your Windows box and load up regedit

Go down to HKLM and select it. Click File > Load Hive

Navigate to the C: partition on your imaged X1 drive and go to WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE and click ok. It'll ask for a name so just give "X1" and click ok

Navigate to HKLM\X1\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon in regedit and change "Shell" to point to c:\ttxshell\assets?\ttxshell.exe - you will need to verify that it's in the assets folder, I'm just going off memory but Shell needs to point to ttxshell.exe

Navigate back down to HKLM\X1 and click File > Unload Hive

Your Type X1 drive should now boot the multi as if it were a X2

So I had time to try this today. I ended up with the following error during the boot process:
B45B8587-CF3C-4947-A46F-BE59E3E42169.jpeg

Any ideas what else needs to be done?

Make sure that COM2 is available on your computer and not in use by another app. That's what X2 uses for JVS communication

Thank you for the reply @sammargh

How do I do this? This is a real Taito Type X system. I cloned a working drive and copied the files and set it up as per the instructions above.

Well first in device manager make sure COM2 exists and then you need to see if there's any background processes running that might be using COM2

Did you remove the entry for the real ttxshell in the registry or just add mine?

If you didn't remove the original, make sure to remove the "TypeXsys" folder from C:

I modified the existing entry in the Registry to point to the shell from your multi.

Set the shell back to normal,

Remove the "C:\TypeXsys" folder, and add my ttxshell.exe to "HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

So I did the following:
  • Re-flashed drive with Dinomax image to SATA SSD drive
  • Created new 3rd partition titled "GAMES", drive letter G:
  • Copied the games to GAMES partition (copied a couple of shmups like Raiden III & IV)
  • Copied Niko's multi files to both C: and D: partitions
  • Removed "TypeXsys" directory
  • Created new "Shell" Registry entry in: HKLM\X1\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    • which points to: %SYSTEMROOT%\TypeXmulti\assets\ttsxhell.exe
This results in the following error message:
IMG_5504.JPG

Back