What's new
Can't wait to try this!
Oh damn I just remembered... Going to need a CPS2/3 style kicks to STV adapter for proper game play.

Oh snap, nice DS!

Wish I had the kick expansion board on my mobo now.

I have this on the Saturn...can't wait to try the ST-V version!

You and me both!

Hmm, I just tried it and I only got as far as booting, then black screen.
Tested Japan/Euro/USA regions (Mod BIOS v1.11)... I did notice when I went into the test menu, the last two CRC checks on the cart failed (IDK if thats normal).

Perhaps it's my SD? I don't need to format and recopy everything do I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Works great for me with ModBios in default region (Japan)

You and me both!
Tested Japan/Euro/USA regions (Mod BIOS v1.11)... I did notice when I went into the test menu, the last two CRC checks on the cart failed (IDK if thats normal).

Perhaps it's my SD? I don't need to format and recopy everything do I?
Yes, format your SD again,copy all the files back and give it a go.

I get the same thing.

I'll try reformatting tonight.

This is an interesting release...

This romset WILL load on the STV-Multi, assuming your data is prepared correctly. I noticed the archive posted above is missing rom #7 (which is included in the main ST-VMultiCard archive). I'm assuming users reporting issues are either missing rom #7, or they have managed to corrupt their SD cards in the file transfer process (always eject before pulling the card from your computer!)

So the reason I say its interesting... there actually wasn't any hacking involved in this one. Back in March, I helped Coolmod of the Mame Dumping union dump a "prototype" version of Final Fight Revenge. Even though the game was on a development PCB, the version number was 1.10 (where the production release 1.00). At the time of dumping, we assumed it was just another revision, added it to mame and called it a day. What makes this interesting, Darksoft seems to have discovered the rom data dumped back in March is actually a (mostly) decrypted program rom that overlays on top of the production romset via Rom 13.

With some careful data de-interleaving and byte swapping, I was able to manipulate the rom data posted by darksoft, and sure enough its a byte for byte match to the mame romset :D

If you remove the protection from mame and run the rom, the game plays identical to how it does on an ST-V cartridge. There are weird sprite glitches such as backgrounds "dissolving" and the time counter dissapearing one block at a time. I observed these glitches on the repro cartridge that I created, and verified the same in mame. Going back to my "partially decrypted" comment... if you re-add the decryption key to mame, the game plays bug free.

It would appear capcom left certain areas of the sprite rendering routines encrypted, but removed the protection in other areas. Or, there was bit rot on the program rom Coolmod dumped and that introduced the weird-ness :p

Happy gaming

Nice to see you around cpsystem3! :)

Darksoft: Any plans to update the complete STV SD package?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming users reporting issues are either missing rom #7...
This was it for me.

I had deleted all of the old files in the folder before copying in the new files and thus was missing rom #7 since it's not included in the the new rom zip.

I grabbed a copy of rom #7 from the original STV multi pack and added to the folder and the game boots and plays :)

seems to be good so far I haven't run into any issues after a few games with different characters, letting it run through attract mode and test mode works too.

With some careful data de-interleaving and byte swapping, I was able to manipulate the rom data posted by darksoft, and sure enough its a byte for byte match to the mame romset
you missed 1 byte difference - protection check hack ;)

If you remove the protection from mame and run the rom, the game plays identical to how it does on an ST-V cartridge. There are weird sprite glitches such as backgrounds "dissolving" and the time counter dissapearing one block at a time.
right, thats the way how this game version works in the case of failed security check - game works as usual but trashes some random textures, title screen bg, etc

if you want to know more - you know how to contact me directly ;)

Back