What's new
a couple of questions that aren't answered in deibit's link.

What's a good source for cheap, compatible CF cards? looks like the 4GB SanDisk cards on amazon are about $10 a pop and even used ones on eBay aren't much cheaper.

It looks like AMB teased converting Primal Rage II for this platform, which would be amazing... did that ever happen? I'm guessing it never happened.
There are a couple sources on ebay where you can get 5-10 CF cards for around US$39 or around CAD$58.

I tried 128 MB cisco cards and they did not work for me at all - see here: bad CF Cards! In fact, that seller MyGold2009 has yet to refund me for the cards despite sending them back awhile ago...the ebay return has timed out thanks to the long time it takes to send things to China so I doubt I am going to see any money back.

I had to go with 64 MB Sandisk cards to get the GNET Motherboard to read the games at all. I ended up ordering 5 from EA_Memory for US$5.99 per card and these worked great. I am planning to order more.

What I need is the ability to make little CF card labels so I can make each CF card it's own game.

segashiro, I ask you the same I asked someone else, are you sure you have the 2011 modbios and not the 2009? 2011 works fine with the cisco cards that I've used. Also it is possible you got bootleg cards, I usually got mine from a US seller.

I got my board from ArcadeModBios about two years ago, so not sure what version of the bios is on it.

As far as compatible CF Cards, I would personally recommend trying ones that are labeled as "SDCFB" and don't go below 64mb or the games won't fit.

I got my board from ArcadeModBios about two years ago, so not sure what version of the bios is on it.

As far as compatible CF Cards, I would personally recommend trying ones that are labeled as "SDCFB" and don't go below 64mb or the games won't fit.
Word, yeah that should be the latest (2011) one. I wonder if we have different jumpers that allow me to boot the block game with a joystick. Or I could send you my copy of it if you want to give it a shot, but it should be the same as the one one the previously linked blog.

segashiro, I ask you the same I asked someone else, are you sure you have the 2011 modbios and not the 2009? 2011 works fine with the cisco cards that I've used. Also it is possible you got bootleg cards, I usually got mine from a US seller.
I picked mine up from Smallcab.net. It came with the modbios already done...I am not sure which one it is running. Any easy way to check?

I have Transcend *industrial* 64MB cards they work like a charm.

Hagiwara 64MB *indsutrial* cards also work without issues.

where does the kick harness connect?
So I've been able to sort-of answer my own question to this...

I don't know if any of the G-NET specific games use more than 3-buttons but the Capcom ZN-1/ZN-2 hardware does and that's the same base board....

looking at those I discovered the rom board actually has a CPS2 style kick harness connector on it... interesting but obviously not available on the non-capcom variant boards.

I then found a manual for one of the Bloody Roar games, while not a G-NET specific game it does use the same base board and since those use 4-buttons the manual shows using a couple of pins on the 15-pin "P3" connector for button 4.

the location of those pins isn't enough to extrapolate where buttons 5 and 6 would be pinned to, but this seems the most likely place where a kick harness would connect if necessary.

I don't think any of the currently compatible G-NET games use more than 3 buttons, but if others get converted in the future (like Street Fighter EX, Bloody Roar, or Primal Rage II) then this is likely where you'd wire up a kick harness.

a couple of questions that aren't answered in deibit's link.

What's a good source for cheap, compatible CF cards? looks like the 4GB SanDisk cards on amazon are about $10 a pop and even used ones on eBay aren't much cheaper.

It looks like AMB teased converting Primal Rage II for this platform, which would be amazing... did that ever happen? I'm guessing it never happened.
This would be awesome. I guess he might have given up on it, since the post on his site about it is dated 2013.

Now that MAME4RAGE2 is out there, it's possible someone may make a conversion.

Now that MAME4RAGE2 is out there, it's possible someone may make a conversion.
holy crap why didn't I know this was a thing...

EDIT: for those wondering this requires atpsx.zip, primrag2.zip, primrag2.chd

Last edited:
Whaaaaat? Outstanding. Gotta give this a try!

Edit: this is totally playable. Looks like we need a kick harness if it is ever converted. Would be amazing if that happened. There is a lot of depth for this being an alpha.

Last edited:
old thread but I came across something interesting that I thought should go here.

I found a listing for Otenami Haiken Final on YAJ and noticed that the official card is litterally an adapter with a CF card in it:
toapapa2006-img640x480-1518670405x4gucl23427.jpg

toapapa2006-img640x480-1518670405ub8ln023427.jpg

Since this wouldn't need a special BIOS to run this leaves me with questions about the modified bios and what it's actually doing.

Are all of the GNET games just CF cards in a fancy case? if so what is the modified bios actually doing differently than the original bios? if it's just there to remove protection then doesn't that mean that games could be written to a CF card in a certain way as to not need the modified bios?

My legit games don't look like that.

20180215_095825.jpg

20180215_095835.jpg

I would guess either you got a bootleg or perhaps some later games used that method?

The modified bios is a mystery to me. My guess is like the sega dimm update it removes the manufacturer restrictions on cards.

Here is what I always found interesting... the 2011 mod bios contains both these entries:

MB-2011
G-NET ModBios 1.5 (c) arcademodbios@gmx.net
<!MY DREAMS WILL COME TRUE! IwmMaiwSamWNoN2011!>

00069000 44 FF 55 FF 4D FF 50 FF 42 FF 59 FF 44 FF 41 FF 52 FF 4B FF D.U.M.P.B.Y.D.A.R.K.
00069014 53 FF 4F FF 46 FF 54 FF FF FF FF FF 41 FF 53 FF 53 FF 45 FF S.O.F.T.....A.S.S.E.
00069028 4D FF 42 FF 4C FF 45 FF 44 FF 42 FF 59 FF 41 FF 4A FF 45 FF M.B.L.E.D.B.Y.A.J.E.
0006903C 5F FF 46 FF 52 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF _.F.R

I wonder was the original dump and / or mod done by darksoft and ajefr... did arcademodbios steal it? did he do additional work? I have to wonder if several people have worked on or modified this version.

Last edited:
That's really cool! I would have been confused by a boot of that particular title.

Oh hey a G-Net thread that was bumped this year :D

So I have a board and loaded the 2011 modbios fine on it. I've grabbed a few sets of the games but I'm having a lot of issues with the conversions.

Some examples are Flame Gunner once written to the CF card mounts as 160kB of data. When loaded onto the board it will crash after coining in making some fuss about sound data error. I even used chdman to make an output .img file and mounted it in OSX to see it resulted in the same small amount of data.

Ray Storm reboots constantly, sometimes when going in-game or in-between levels

Shanghai Matekibuyu will reboot the board after the first stage completes

G-Darius won't change versions regardless of pushing button 1 or 2 on P1. I've verified that the buttons do function as Ray Storm will switch regions even if the game isn't functional.

It seems that the normal G-Net games all function properly with the testing I have done. I have tried using chdman as well as the flashing program but both result in the same results.

I am using Transcend TS4GCF133 cards per the blog post on the mod bios had a comment stating they worked and are still new enough to be purchased. I have a 64MB Sandisk on the way to verify if this is the problem however I was hoping someone might have some insight as to why I'm having so much trouble.

Shanghai Matekibuyu will reboot the board after the first stage completes
I had similar issues with this game but simply burning to another card resolved them. I used the cheap Transcend cards for all of them, but 3 or so cards out of the 30 I bought failed to boot or had crashing issues.

the first batch of games I made I used the program, more recently I've used chdman to output an img file and then used win32discimager to program the img file to the card. I haven't had any problems with either method.

I just use a simple linux script to dd the raw data (extracted from the chds). Has worked for every game I've tried.

So I've been doing some digging and it seems the chd for Flame Gunner is bad.

alHrMwp.png

Using some file recovery tools I see that there are files missing from the CF card/img converted from CHD. The directory _SEVEN~1 has been deleted from the CF when all I have done is written the CHD to it. Can someone who has a working CF card for Flame Gunner see what the directory structure and size used are? Also the MD5 from the source would be helpful.
MD5 (flamegun.chd) = adb92826ef5632c2102d03edd8d12d80

When I recover the deleted files it appears to have actual data that the game would use however since it's deleted I'm unsure of the actual structure for it.

What version of chdman are you using and what's the exact command you're using to extract the chd?

Back