What's new
The only gotcha I found with the crystals around now is that their maximum input current is 5 mA lower than the one being used but never got an answer if that mattered.

The only gotcha I found with the crystals around now is that their maximum input current is 5 mA lower than the one being used but never got an answer if that mattered.
Only one way to find out

What tolerance does it make? If it's 5mA on 50 then you're good to go.

What tolerance does it make? If it's 5mA on 50 then you're good to go.
On the 10MHz crystal that I looked up that is on my A boards it is rated to 35mA max current I believe and the ones you can obtain off digikey/mouser only one was rated to 30mA max and the rest were lower.

On the 10MHz crystal that I looked up that is on my A boards it is rated to 35mA max current I believe and the ones you can obtain off digikey/mouser only one was rated to 30mA max and the rest were lower.
And it doesn't mean you need 35mA. Maybe 10mA works too but Capcom just fitted what crystal was available at manufacturing time.
I've installed 12Mhz crystals before, never looked at the ratings and never had any issue so tolerance must be quite high.

And it doesn't mean you need 35mA. Maybe 10mA works too but Capcom just fitted what crystal was available at manufacturing time.I've installed 12Mhz crystals before, never looked at the ratings and never had any issue so tolerance must be quite high.
Is this what were looking at as a suitable replacement?

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/crystal-oscillators/7675294/

I swapped the crystal off a DASH A board that was beyond hope, onto a 10mhz A board. Worked like a charm, speed seemed correct without doing any kind of empirical testing (play testing only - SF2HF), but I could notice the slower gameplay with the 10mhz A board unmodified, and it was definitely faster/correct with the 12 mhz crystal swapped in.

The 68k is also different between the 2 boards, as it was pointed out somewhere else here, and also pointed out that the 68k's were notably resilient for overclocking. Who knows, maybe the 68k burns up some day, and at that point, I'll swap the 68k from the beyond-hope DASH A board and swap it in also.

And it doesn't mean you need 35mA. Maybe 10mA works too but Capcom just fitted what crystal was available at manufacturing time.I've installed 12Mhz crystals before, never looked at the ratings and never had any issue so tolerance must be quite high.
Is this what were looking at as a suitable replacement?
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/crystal-oscillators/7675294/
I picked up a few of those. Unfortunately the board I'm testing with doesn't boot with it installed, even though the pinout appears to be correct. Not sure what's going on, really.

Last edited:
Crap, maybe @Apocalypse can recommend the correct ones if these are wrong?

I was planning on getting some but have just been too busy to start another project. Its on the list though.

I've never bothered looking at the characteristics in details. I just order whatever active 12Mhz crystal is available and it has always worked for me.
Might depend how well other components on the board can support overclocking (mainly thinking of RAM chips).

@fluxcore I would test the crystal on a dash board.

I've never bothered looking at the characteristics in details. I just order whatever active 12Mhz crystal is available and it has always worked for me.
Might depend how well other components on the board can support overclocking (mainly thinking of RAM chips).

Well, apparently the dash board I've just tried it on must have become faulty at some point, because now it only plays blind. A bit of a bar of colour flickers at the top of the screen occasionally, so maybe it's some sync issue.

Anyway, on the dash board, this crystal results in the immediate playing of zangief's music, but inputs do nothing.

Trying it again on the non-dash board with sound enabled, and it plays the sound sample 'ROUND' upon booting, but blank graphics and no inputs work.

I think these crystals are inadequate somehow.

I can confirm the 12MHz osc taken from the dash board works fine in the non-dash board though.

Also, fuck this hobby. This is why I have 4 hyper fighting boards.

Last edited:

I think these crystals are inadequate somehow.
Well the oscillators are the clock signals to the cpu and the rest of the board so they aren't insignificant. To put an idea to them the crystals are the war drum that controls the forefront.

It's possible that there are 68ks that can't handle the overclock but overall (outside of the customs) the A board is one of the more simplistic boards used for arcade games.

Back