What's new
Once I get this HBBC to fix up I will post some photos of everything and can answer any questions

I've ordered a replacement for the RTC RAM chip from China from the place I order my EPROMs from. In the meantime I'll install a socket in place of the original chip and make sure I have the correct data to load the chip with when it arrives.

I've done a couple of HBBC repairs. When the RTC dies it's dead unless you have a backup of the data. That game won't re-write the data.
The board was screwed worse by the owner because he tried to re-install a different version and it wrote the flash then said the security didn't match and that was the end of that hehe!!
Luckily he got hold of another good board and sent both to me so I removed the dumped the data out of the 8 flash ROMs and they were added to MAME and a hand-created timekeeper dump was created. Then I re-programmed the mainboard with the good flash data and programmed the RTC image to a new chip and it worked.
On the other board, as well as a bad RTC, one flash on the motherboard was bad and the flash card was also bad and had to be re-programmed from the install CD.

i just see in mame source, that hbbc have (no cd) or not dumped yet.
i guess what Mr T Guru said is right. If the game run did not run from cd, it is impossible to go into install mode.

I've done a couple of HBBC repairs. When the RTC dies it's dead unless you have a backup of the data. That game won't re-write the data.
The board was screwed worse by the owner because he tried to re-install a different version and it wrote the flash then said the security didn't match and that was the end of that hehe!!
Luckily he got hold of another good board and sent both to me so I removed the dumped the data out of the 8 flash ROMs and they were added to MAME and a hand-created timekeeper dump was created. Then I re-programmed the mainboard with the good flash data and programmed the RTC image to a new chip and it worked.
On the other board, as well as a bad RTC, one flash on the motherboard was bad and the flash card was also bad and had to be re-programmed from the install CD.
So there is no way to reload the data to a new IC for HBBC? Is the image you created in the MAME data?

I'm worried that a similar thing may have happened here since it's reporting a mismatch, not just an RTC error.

I found that version - but the links are dead unfortunately so unless someone has it and is willing to dump it again, no dice :(

This is annoying because I've installed a new RTC chip into the HBBC machine I have here and it's still not working. Not sure if it's because I need the original cab or it just doesn't initialize on the board but obviously if I was able to convert a board to DDR I could use the same disc to install/reinitialize HBBC.

@Dion - could you let me know how I can use your device to resurrect this machine?

i am afraid you can't use my device, since there's no known cd dumped. the installation routine usually reside on it.

the best way to resurrect, like Mr T Guru said, is hand crafting the data, with MAME debugger's help.

There's a non protected CD set floating around that can be used if I can find that somewhere. Others have used that to convert DDR sets to HBBC - so it can be done. Unfortunately the links for the CD images are long since dead and presumably those who have them aren't going to post them up again :/

I have two 573 motherboards here. One boots to a RTC Error, the other one works fine (currently running HBBC).

I take it the RTC chip is married to the motherboard?

Not sure, but probably. It would at least be married to the version and potentially encrypted data :(

If you're inclined to dump your HBBC one that would be cool but I can understand not wanting to play around with a working game, I really need that unprotected CD

You dump it as exactly that if the software supports it :P Try typing that number into your software and see what happens

If it's not there, dump it as a 6264

You dump it as exactly that if the software supports it :P Try typing that number into your software and see what happens
That's why I asked, it's not there.

I'll try 6264 when I have some spare time. Thanks.

@xodaraP

Superpro does ST M48T58Y.

Here's a dump of my working Konami 573 RTC:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/u1uc2i

I have Hyper Bishi Bashi currently installed on the motherboard, not sure if that matters at all.

Also, since it's somewhat hidden in an FS thread and it relates to the topic at hand, @FrancoB shared an image of Konami 80's Arcade Gallery that's been hacked to work with any (?) security card:

As promised, uploaded [here]

Back