What's new
I have uploaded sources to github, here.

so far tested game : drummania GQ881 and percussion freaks 4th mix.

so basically, there are two arduino tools here.

securechiptool goal is to asses and to clear or mass programmed (a term for a fresh manufacturer setups where all password and fields are zeroed) secure chip in security cart, which is a must before using master calendar.

mastercalendar is to be connected to usb port located in front of motherboard, before the game booted, so the game can recognize it and proceed to the security chip initialization.

both arduino are to be connected to pc via usb for displaying debug messages.

some security cart variations...

gx700.png
gx894.png
gx883.png
ge949.png

Earlier games using gx700/gx894. I haven't tested all earlier games so i don't know if the cart for operating mode and install mode is separated, but for GQ881 i tested, i don't need separate one. Begins in ddr3rd mix afaik, it used gx883. and later games used ge949 which is zs01 based cart.

clearing/mass program chip

for x76 chip, you need to know the password first. you can refer to mame keys.

for zs01 chip, is quite simple. just run the zsconfread with a wrong datakey. you should see some error in some point. usually after 8 times wrong, due to retry counter implemented in the chip. and then the chip would initialized itself to zero/fresh state.

credits

first of all, i'd like to thank zs01 codes author in mame, smf, because of some hard work that been done with zs01 discoveries.
as for arduino codes, i used some source reference from teensyjvs and softwarei2c library.

Last edited:
so basically, there are two arduino tools here. ...
Let me see if I understand the process correctly.

First you build the Secure Chip Tool by flashing an Arduino Uno with your securechiptool code
Then you "reset" the security cart by wiring the Uno to the correct pins per your diagram and powering on the Uno.

Once the cart is cleared you build the Master Calendar Tool by flashing the Arduino Mega with your mastercalendar code and wiring it up to a RS485 adapter per your diagram
Then you "program" the security cart by connecting the RS485 adapter into the JVS port on the 573 and then powering it on with the appropriate game disc in the drive.

Is that correct or are there steps I'm missing?

When using the Master Calendar will I Need controls hooked up to handle prompts on-screen?

Can Any cart version work with any game or do you have to use the correct cart PCB for the game? So can I use a GX700 Fisherman's Bait Cart for Hyper Bishi Bashi that uses GX883?

Does this work with Discs made from MAME CHDs or will they only work with original Discs?

Thank you for releasing this tool to the public, it's a shame we weren't paying attention to this sooner!

so basically, there are two arduino tools here. ...
Let me see if I understand the process correctly.
First you build the Secure Chip Tool by flashing an Arduino Uno with your securechiptool code
Then you "reset" the security cart by wiring the Uno to the correct pins per your diagram and powering on the Uno.

Once the cart is cleared you build the Master Calendar Tool by flashing the Arduino Mega with your mastercalendar code and wiring it up to a RS485 adapter per your diagram
Then you "program" the security cart by connecting the RS485 adapter into the JVS port on the 573 and then powering it on with the appropriate game disc in the drive.

Is that correct or are there steps I'm missing?
correct.

When using the Master Calendar will I Need controls hooked up to handle prompts on-screen?
no, you don't need controls hooked up.
But, be warned, this is not a finished tool. i still have problem programming one of the solo mix that used x76 chip. Been trying to debug with mame help, it's kind of hard. Been trying to edit mame source to accommodate jvs, i don't have enough skill.

Can Any cart version work with any game or do you have to use the correct cart PCB for the game? So can I use a GX700 Fisherman's Bait Cart for Hyper Bishi Bashi that uses GX883?
no, not any cart. as you see, i posted above there are at least 4 kind of carts that i know of. early games used x76 cart for install and another x76 cart for game mode.
later, they used x76 for install, and zs01 cart for game mode.
and about 5th mix above, they used only one cart (zs01 cart) for both install and game mode.
you can actually find this information from ksys573.c in mame source.

Does this work with Discs made from MAME CHDs or will they only work with original Discs?
for installation, chd and original works.
for game, like aoiddr said in another thread, original disc works best.

no, not any cart. as you see, i posted above there are at least 4 kind of carts that i know of. early games used x76 cart for install and another x76 cart for game mode.
later, they used x76 for install, and zs01 cart for game mode.
and about 5th mix above, they used only one cart (zs01 cart) for both install and game mode.
you can actually find this information from ksys573.c in mame source.
Looking through Mame Source there appears to be 5 cart variants
"Cassette X" : x76f041
"Cassette XI": x76f041 with ds2401
"Cassette Y" : x76f100
"Cassette YI": x76f100 with ds2401
and
"Cassette ZI": zs01 (with ds2401)

The the games that use these carts are broken down as follows:

Game: X - x76f041
Install: none

?????? darkhleg - Dark Horse Legend
cassx ddr
cassx ddr2ml
cassx drmn
cassx fbaitbc - Fishermans Bait
cassx gchgchmp - Gachaga Champ
cassx gtrfrks
?????? gunmania - Gun Mania
?????? konam80s - Konami 80s AC
?????? powyakex - Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu EX
?????? strgchmp - Steering Champ

Game: XI - x76f041 w/ ds2401
cassxi dsem
cassxi pnchmn - Punch Mania
cassxi pnchmn2 - Punch Mania 2

Game: Y - x76f100
cassy hypbbc2p - Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ 2 player
cassy hyperbbc - Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ

Game: YI - x76f100 w/ ds2401
Install: YI - x76f100 w/ ds2401
cassyyi ddr3m
cassyyi ddrs2k
cassyyi dsfdcta

Game: YI - x76f100 w/ ds2401
cassyi ddrsolo
cassyi dsftkd
cassyi gtrfrk2m
cassyi salarymc - Salary Man Champ
?????? stepchmp - Step Champ

Game: ZI - zs01
Install: XI - x76f041 w/ ds2401
cassxzi ddr3mp
cassxzi ddr4ms
cassxzi drmn2m
cassxzi dsfdr
cassxzi gtrfrk3m

Game: ZI - zs01
casszi ddr5m
casszi ddrusa
casszi dmx
casszi drmn4m
casszi gtrfrk5m
casszi gtrfrk7m
casszi mamboagg

?????? games are those that are not explicitly defined but rather inherit their security properties from another game. I used my best guess figuring out which cart config they used.

Last edited:
If a game must stay with a specific cart then it seems that you will always need an original Bishi Bashi Champ as it's the only game that uses the "Y" type cart (maybe this the one you're missing from your list?)

If a game must stay with a specific cart then it seems that you will always need an original Bishi Bashi Champ as it's the only game that uses the "Y" type cart (maybe this the one you're missing from your list?)
the naming convention, was defined by : static MACHINE_CONFIG_FRAGMENT
for example :

Code:
static MACHINE_CONFIG_FRAGMENT( cassxzi )
    MCFG_DEVICE_MODIFY( "cassette" )
    MCFG_SLOT_OPTION_ADD( "game", KONAMI573_CASSETTE_ZI )
    MCFG_SLOT_OPTION_ADD( "install", KONAMI573_CASSETTE_XI )
    MCFG_SLOT_DEFAULT_OPTION( "game" )
MACHINE_CONFIG_END
it means the game mode uses zs01 cart (which usually include ds2401, hence the 'i'), and the install mode uses x76f041 with ds2401 cart.
i think i found one wrong information on ksys573.c when i experiment with the install cart, especially the 'i' utilization. But i don't remember which game.

and as a note, when mame said x76f041, in reality, the chip itself is marked with konami's own custom chip number. but iirc, i already include a way in the arduino source, to detect which one which.

i had a bunch of 573 carts. but iirc, when i 'resets' them all, i did not find any x76f100 or the 'y'. all of them was x76f041.

it means the game mode uses zs01 cart (which usually include ds2401, hence the 'i'), and the install mode uses x76f041 with ds2401 cart.
I know, did you see post above the one you quoted? I list out all of the different cart definitions in MAME by game.

I mentioned Hyper Bishi Bashi because it seems to be the only "Y" type cart using x76f100. So if you can't change carts then you would need an original cart because there would be no other carts that could be converted for that game.

@Derick2k, you mentioned you have a Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ setup. Any chance you could take some pictures of your cart so we can see how it compares to the cart pictures that Dion has here?

I know, did you see post above the one you quoted? I list out all of the different cart definitions in MAME by game.
I mentioned Hyper Bishi Bashi because it seems to be the only "Y" type cart using x76f100. So if you can't change carts then you would need an original cart because there would be no other carts that could be converted for that game.

@Derick2k, you mentioned you have a Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ setup. Any chance you could take some pictures of your cart so we can see how it compares to the cart pictures that Dion has here?
ah, i see. i thought you were asking about which notation for game mode in the post before.

need original cart.. yes and probably no.
never had the x76f100 chip or x76f041 real chip. but if mame is right, then you can actually use another cart (with same ds2401 requirement) and just replace the konami chip with x76f100 for bishi bashi.

if mame is right, then you can actually use another cart (with same ds2401 requirement) and just replace the konami chip with x76f100 for bishi bashi.
If MAME is right, then bishi bashi uses x76f100 WITHOUT ds2401. Do you think a x76f100 cart with a ds2401 would work?

supposedly 3rd Mix, Solo and Solo 2K all uses x76f100 with ds2401

if mame is right, then you can actually use another cart (with same ds2401 requirement) and just replace the konami chip with x76f100 for bishi bashi.
If MAME is right, then bishi bashi uses x76f100 WITHOUT ds2401. Do you think a x76f100 cart with a ds2401 would work?
supposedly 3rd Mix, Solo and Solo 2K all uses x76f100 with ds2401
i am saying other cart have no x76f100.
yes, other cart (x76f041 with or without ds2401, it just a matter of desolder the ds2401 if not needed) would work, but, you must replace that chip that mame said as compatible with x76f041 with a real/original x76f100 chip.

I'm hoping this is where this belongs and I'm not hijacking the thread

A friend has just bought a Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ machine and it's giving a RTC error - something about mismatched hardware. He's going to ship up the unit to me so hopefully I can get it going again

It's a dedicated machine and the System 573 doesn't appear to have ever been moved much less opened.

It's in a silver box not the black and blue one I've seen in videos, don't know if that makes a difference.

I assume this means the RTC battery has died and it needs to be replaced and the cart reprogrammed? Is this possible and what is being talked about here, or is this more about conversions?

It's in a silver box not the black and blue one I've seen in videos, don't know if that makes a difference.
i had all of them in silver box.

I assume this means the RTC battery has died and it needs to be replaced and the cart reprogrammed? Is this possible and what is being talked about here, or is this more about conversions?
reprogram, and when you can reprogram, it means you can do conversions.
only some 573 games have a re-write RTC mechanism. some need install cart to re-write the RTC.
if you're familiar with arduino, your testing and experiment with resurrecting hbbc is very welcome here.

I'm familiar with Arduino, I've revived a few CPS1, 1.5 and 2 boards using the Arduino method so no problems there

I've just ordered a replacement RTC SRAM chip and my programmer can program it (hopefully it's been dumped) so I don't think I'll need the Arduino for that

I've seen a few posts on various forums suggesting that the board itself initializes and programs the new chip so we'll see what happens when it arrives

Back