What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know what the easiest board to get a hold of is to do the conversion? I just picked up a dedicated Golden Axe 2 cab with no pcb and want to get it back to its former glory.

anybody know what the easiest board to get a hold of is to do the conversion? I just picked up a dedicated Golden Axe 2 cab with no pcb and want to get it back to its former glory.
According to the first post in this thread, F1 Super Lap is suitable for this conversion.

I found a F1 (B-board only) on eBay for 50$, it's what I'll be using once I get the chip order placed.

Rom board is suitable yes. But you need a io daughtercard like Spiderman has or golden axe 2 to have 3player support. If your cab is 3 player you'll need it.

But you need a io daughtercard like Spiderman
I have the daughtercard with Spiderman, so no worries about 4-player... One question however.
It looks just like the multi-player daughtercard on System-18 (my Moonwalker board), are they compatible/swappable?

Golden Axe 2 has part no. 837-7968 on the daughterboard.
Same as Spiderman .
Also the same i/o as used on DD Crew (System 18).

I cannot find any reference to it online for Moonwalker, but i have the pcb in storage. Just not sure if the daughtercard is on that.

However, Moonwalker is a 3 player game, and this i/o is for four players. On Moonwalker, the third player is on the extra 12 pin header.
Also note the manual which has no reference to this card. On page 10 the header is documented :)
http://www.aurcade.com/games/manuals/00001295.pdf

How does this game compare to the original? Is it a worthy sequel?
It's definitely worthy: beefy sprites, full-screen magic effects (similar to Sailor Moon Arcade Game), and more visually immersive beat-em up action than its predecessor. Worth picking up if you can get/make one.

I just picked up a J.League 1994 for $50 - straightforwards conversion to GA2?

I've got a GQ-4X + ADP-054 adapter and a Minipro TL866CS so do I have the right kit to program the required eproms?

Presumably I'll only be able to play 2-player games on it as it doesn't have the extra daughter board.

nice! Where'd you score it? I've been looking for cheap system32 boards but they are hard to come by.

I just picked up a J.League 1994 for $50 - straightforwards conversion to GA2?

I've got a GQ-4X + ADP-054 adapter and a Minipro TL866CS so do I have the right kit to program the required eproms?

Presumably I'll only be able to play 2-player games on it as it doesn't have the extra daughter board.
Yes, yes and yes 2-player.
27C160, 27C080 (or 801 i keep forgetting the cheaper ones.)

Was there some issue with the driving game variant? I have a Rad Mobile here with no use.

Thank you so much, no more worries about my GA2 died.

[]'Macck

How does this game compare to the original? Is it a worthy sequel?
It has somehow achieved grail status because of the killer battery, low distribution numbers, 4 player mode and high PCB price. :)

I think it's a decent game but there are better belt scrollers than GA2.

To me the major attraction with this game is it's the only Golden Axe sequel I recognize.

A little back story about how I classify things...
If a game is released in the arcade first, then only other arcade releases are true sequels.
Same for the rare case when a game starts on home consoles, then later appears in arcades.

I don't consider Mario Kart GP as part of the series, because this is an arcade followup to a console game.
Not a bad game, but I won't call it Mario Kart.

I don't consider Final Fight 2 as part of the series, because it's a console followup to a arcade game.
A horrible awful bad game, the game version/comparison to a direct to DVD movie sequel.

The list of games I won't recognize continues!
Golden Axe 2/3 (Mega Drive)
Strider Returns (Mega Drive)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES)
Space Harrier 2 (Mega Drive)
Sega's Sonic (System-32)
F-Zero AX (Tri-Force)
Street Fighter 5 (PS4/XB1)
Mortal Kombat everything after 4 (tons of consoles/handhelds)

Now this in no way a guide to classify only A+ good games, as sequels like Final Fight Revenge do in fact suck hard...
However by my logic, FFR is the ONLY sequel to Final Fight made IMO.

Crazy as I maybe... GA2 is the only sequel I'll ever recognize in the series.
The others are just <strike>trash</strike> FAKE sequels. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
jassin000 said:
Sega's Sonic (System-32)
F-Zero AX (Tri-Force)
I agree with your logic on that. Not sure if you're a fan of either, but you left out "Shinobi/Shadowdancer" and the "Splatterhouse" games. In my case, I only consider the Arcade releases as well. Either because of poor managerial support, tight budgets (financial/system resource/etc), or lack of effort/interest on the part of the dev team working on a title, many non-Arcade sequels ended up being lackluster: Splatterhouse being a prime example, I feel.

To me the major attraction with this game is it's the only Golden Axe sequel I recognize.
A little back story about how I classify things...
If a game is released in the arcade first, then only other arcade releases are true sequels.
Same for the rare case when a game starts on home consoles, then later appears in arcades.

I don't consider Mario Kart GP as part of the series, because this is an arcade followup to a console game.
Not a bad game, but I won't call it Mario Kart.

I don't consider Final Fight 2 as part of the series, because it's a console followup to a arcade game.
A horrible awful bad game, the game version/comparison to a direct to DVD movie sequel.

Sega's Sonic (System-32)
F-Zero AX (Tri-Force)

Now this in no way a guide to classify only A+ good games, as sequels like Final Fight Revenge do in fact suck hard...
However by my logic, FFR is the ONLY sequel to Final Fight made IMO.

Crazy as I maybe... GA2 is the only sequel I'll ever recognize in the series.
The others are just <strike>trash</strike> FAKE sequels. ;)
What about Golden Axe: The Duel on STV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back